Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VanderAa  (Read 1548 times)

komat

• Eastcoaster
  • Regular debater
VanderAa
« on: November 26, 2017, 06:06:48 PM »

Hello all,

I’ve been toying with the idea of ordering a VanderAa 3 row box, but before doing so, I was looking to get some opinions from those with experience with him and his instruments. I’ve heard recordings, seen pictures, and have a plan to visit him at his shop in the spring to really get to feel them out, but I’ve yet to play one. 

Anyone have any thoughts on their construction, playability, responsiveness, volume etc? Any major pros or cons?
Too many accordions, help!

gettabettabox

Re: VanderAa
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 07:02:34 PM »

He recently informed me that he's working towards retirement in a year or so.
He has someone interested in continuing his line and I think new orders might go to those hands. Definitely worth emailing frans, he is very communicative and obliging.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 07:56:02 PM »

Chris Ryall of this parish has one and can give chapter and verse on it.
I expect he'll be along soon!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

deltasalmon

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 12:54:15 PM »

I have a 2 row from van der Aa. I love it. The instrument itself is extremely well made and sounds great. The ordering process was whatever the customer wanted. I asked him to move some keys around (specifically I wanted the longer of the two rows to be the inside row) have a custom bass end without 3rds and have a behind-the-keyboard register switch to change the voicing.

The lead time when I ordered from him were much shorter than those from makers of similar quality boxes and his communication throughout the building process was really good. I would get pictures from time to time updating me on the build status.

I know he offers free maintenance for the lifetime of the box but if he's retiring soon as mentioned above it might just be until his retirement. I never took advantage of this since I'm in the USA and it's easier for me to just take my box locally to be serviced.
Sean McGinnis
Bordentown City, NJ, USA

Castagnari Benny ADG

Peter Tuïnk

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:17:07 PM »

Good evening,

I also learned that Frans is downsizing his business. Indeed he told me, and that is november 17, that he is in talks with someone to take over his workshop. So if you consider an order, I would certainly recommend to make contact, to learn if he Will take any new orders at all. I presume he will be around for a while to guide/ accompany the whole process....

Lots of succes!

Peter.

komat

• Eastcoaster
  • Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:42:12 PM »

He has informed me as well that he's working towards retirement. He's brought on Vincent Pompe van Meerdervoort to take over for him by 2019, iirc. Until then, Frans is still the man, and is working to bring Vincent along and up to speed.
Too many accordions, help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal