Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: hear it play it - is that an unusual ability?  (Read 6248 times)

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
Re: hear it play it - is that an unusual ability?
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 10:08:22 AM »

And it isn't limited to instrumental skills. Try juggling.

Juggling Melodeons ? Now there’s an idea  (:)
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 11:05:35 AM »

I just put on a new cd I acquired and heard the song 'Rough the wind in the clear day dawning'  - The Freedom come all ye.

The tune is like the Bonny fields of Flanders, or maybe more like Buss buss bonny laddie.

So I finish making the coffee and wander into the next room, pick up my melodeon and try the tune on the outer row of buttons. Just the right hand.

First time, straight through, no mistakes. Not even looking for the first note.

it is a bit worrying- I have had the box almost three months, and I do play it at least once a day - is it taking over some part of my brain as yet unknown for musical ability?

Don't wish it away!  I think it first happened to me when I was a kid messing about on the piano and it's something that has made music infinitely more enjoyable for me ... playing an instrument by ear quickly is a much sought after skill and one which my own experience shows is practically unteachable.  Your brain has been working behind the scenes in ways difficult to communicate and now it is up to you to go with it, hone it down, try more complex tunes, try to hear chords in the melody.  In no time at all you'll be one of those people who can pick up a tune in a session they've never heard before and be playing along the third time round!

Congratulations!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 11:08:33 AM »

Absolutely right. I always put it down to burning pathways in the brain during the rest period, but I suspect that is not a very scientific way of describing it.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 11:12:19 AM »

Not all of us have as many melodeons as you, so we can do without the inevitable breakages !

Back to topic - I do wonder whether practicing during the evening might be better so that the brain can process overnight more easily. Or would too much excitement near bedtime lead to melodeon nightmares or sleep disruption ?

J
Old Bones Dance Band

george garside

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »

I often have a go at new, to me, tunes at well gone midnight  and the festering or whatever process  in the brain works well . It could be something to do with last conscious thoughts/activity before going to sleep  gets priority  in the autopilot process that takes place when all conscious activity is shut down.???

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 02:52:20 PM »

I recall someone trying that with a concertina a few years ago at the Melodeons at Witney tutors' concert. It didn't end well. Those of us who were there will know what I'm referring to.  >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »

I thought it ended very well - memorably in fact - unless your name is Simon Care!  >:E
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 05:39:37 PM »

I thought it ended very well - memorably in fact - unless your name is Simon Care!  >:E
Or Saul Rose!  >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 02:11:17 PM »

...The weird thing is, though, that if I play the tune again 'consciously' - to work out an arrangement - I invariably mess up. It seems that the 'magic' only works if I don't think about it. I also find that if I'm playing for an audience, I tend to stumble if I become too aware of my playing. Is that common?

I struggled like mad to pick up my first tune. Every note took a mass of concentration and to string them all together seemed to be an impossibility. I was on the verge of giving up. Then during one practice my mind started wondering (what shall I have for tea or whatever) and I found myself playing the whole tune subconsciously.

It was actually a bit frightening, I suppose in a nice way, because consciously I was not in control. Yes, a bit of magic. In the zone?
. . .

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 03:14:42 PM »

DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

george garside

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 04:21:18 PM »

[
I struggled like mad to pick up my first tune. Every note took a mass of concentration and to string them all together seemed to be an impossibility. I was on the verge of giving up. Then during one practice my mind started wondering (what shall I have for tea or whatever) and I found myself playing the whole tune subconsciously.

It was actually a bit frightening, I suppose in a nice way, because consciously I was not in control. Yes, a bit of magic. In the zone?

now't  beats leaving the brain to do a bit of cogitating all by itself!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

TomB-R

« Reply #31 on: December 27, 2017, 06:01:14 PM »

Yes, I can do that too. The weird thing is, though, that if I play the tune again 'consciously' - to work out an arrangement - I invariably mess up. It seems that the 'magic' only works if I don't think about it. I also find that if I'm playing for an audience, I tend to stumble if I become too aware of my playing. Is that common?
Universal, I think! The little people in the back of your head are great at playing, but when you become "aware" the conscious mind tries to take command, and it can't do it!

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2017, 09:48:32 PM »

Universal, I think! The little people in the back of your head are great at playing
[/quote]

seem to be otherwise engaged... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal