Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Walter Bulwer's no.1 on one row melodeon  (Read 792 times)

Matt Langley

Walter Bulwer's no.1 on one row melodeon
« on: December 03, 2017, 11:11:11 AM »

Hi everyone

Had a great time a Witney a few weeks ago and did both of Rees' units (thanks Rees, great workshops :D) including the one row session.  Since then I have been trying to work on my one row playing and have searched the forum for good tunes to learn on one row box.

One tune mentioned a couple of times is W Bulwer's no.1 so I dug the dots out (I have it in Lewes favourites tunebook).  In G but then there is a Csharp in the B part. 

So, my question is, how do people approach the B part on a one row?  Are they just ignoring that Csharp since you dont have it on a one row box in G.  Or... is there a clever way round it by transposing the B part into a whole different key (maybe based on or around  the C or D pentatonic scales as introduced by Rees in his workshop?) so you can play the right "relative pattern" of notes?  I did sit down with pencil and paper and tried to work something out but failed miserably ???

How would others approach something like this?

Regards

Matt

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
Re: Walter Bulwer's no.1 on one row melodeon
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 12:38:53 PM »

There is just one C sharp in the B music and it’s easy to just miss it out. Simply play the preceding note, D, as a crotchet instead of a quaver.

Or you could just transpose the B music into G by startling on a a D in either octave. The chords on a 1 row might be better with this solution.

Mitch
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Sebastian

Re: Walter Bulwer's no.1 on one row melodeon
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 03:46:01 PM »

In G but then there is a Csharp in the B part.
The A part ist in G (major). The B part is in D (major). Just transpose the B part into G (major). To differentiate a bit between the A and the B part you could play the melody of the A part in the lower octave ande the melody of the B part in the upper octave.

Walter Bulwer's no. 2 has the same structure. There, too, I transpose the B part, to get the chords right, even though there appears no C# in the melody.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 03:57:28 PM by Sebastian »
Weltmeister 86w in C/F | Fraton Club in Bb/Eb | Hohner 114 in C | Hohner Preciosa in C/F
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal