Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Easy abc - incipits  (Read 5074 times)

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
Re: Easy abc - incipits
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 06:15:08 PM »

My good friend Chuck makes the following points about incipits:

"You might want to suggest to Q that the blank page issue in incipit files usually happens when the user specifies too many per page.  Most commonly what happens is that somewhere along the way an incipit is too long and prints on two lines rather than one. Then the automatic page break kicks in before the file reaches the %%newpage command and there you are.  The solution(s) are: Choose a smaller scale; choose fewer bars for the incipit; remove chords and part markers (as you suggested), or edit the offending items in the incipit file by hand.  Come to think of it I suspect someone better at grep than I could write a search and replace that would quickly remove chords and part markers..."

So it occurs to me that the best thing you can do is save your collection with a different name ('Q's collection incipits' will do nicely) and make a file especially for the crib sheet. Using the tools in ABC Explorer clean the file of all redundant spaces and chords and save it. Then open it with a text editor or EasyABC and manually remove any P:, Q:, C: or O: fields you may find so the only thing that prints is the title and the first few bars. Speaking of titles you should also remove any a.k.a. T: fields leaving only the main title, you should then produce a really good, consistant crib sheet.
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 06:55:41 PM »

Re Removing chords, can I recommend

Steve Mansfield's abcChordsOut

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 08:17:15 PM »

Please thank Chuck for me. I will make notes of these suggestions.
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal