Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for my first melodeon***SORTED***  (Read 6107 times)

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
Re: Looking for my first melodeon
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 01:01:48 PM »

Ah yes, the approach we all take when telling our partners the cost of instruments. Perhaps you need to buy a Streb melodeon. A little research will bring up the details of a Streb.
This will get you started  http://www.streb.co.uk/eml_about.htm

Sir John
Strange you should say that...her surprise Christmas gift will be a Roland FR-1X in black..already tucked away in my music room..at the moment she only has a mid range PA Weltie..she's a sensible Yokshire 'coal miners' daughter
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »

Ah yes, the approach we all take when telling our partners the cost of instruments. Perhaps you need to buy a Streb melodeon. A little research will bring up the details of a Streb.
This will get you started  http://www.streb.co.uk/eml_about.htm

Sir John
As a further point when I was looking/researching my wife's Roland FR1-X i had a good look at the Roland foray into 'diatonic' in the shape of the FR18, I did in fact find a good used example(which is rare) but somehow it all seemed too much of a steep learning curve(I have played/own a lot of wind/guitar synthesis hardware for a long time but at least I play the saxophone well and guitar competently) and deep down I wanted the simplicity of the 'acoustic' instrument.

I'm not sure the Streb will work, if it's just a midi driver..??.. I don't think so, it would have to go the Bugari Evo way and licence/buy in the 'synth/digital engine' from Roland as it's the only one therefore the best. Midi driven expanders that take no notice of bellow driven 'velocity' are a poor compromise, that was always the big thing in the early days of wind synths and nowdays the factor of 127 Midi control steps for various functions is getting to be a serious limitation..having said that I still like/have the reliability/dependability of hardware modules although I must admit my IOS Ipad is starting to feel serious..

The fr18 failed for Roland, not well received and if they can't make it pay...the Streb will be like the Morrison digital trumpet(I had one) wonderful high quality stuff, but the man behind it was a one man band who packed it in..spares became impossible..lot of people were left with 'junk'(Roland have done this already for the early generations of the FR range in the shape of failing LCD screens..discontinued..so scrap you early FR..get a new one)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:50:00 PM by byteofthecherry »
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2017, 03:24:59 PM »

Ah yes, the approach we all take when telling our partners the cost of instruments.
Sir John

OK so this is slightly (more) off topic but I've long been curious - do you guys really do this? Is such subterfuge necessary... or is this just pure humour?

Curious of Surrey
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2017, 03:39:07 PM »

Helena, certainly if I've ever said it, it was purely for the sake of humour. I have to get the money out of my beloved to buy anything! She has every penny accounted for, God bless her.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2017, 04:02:26 PM »

Ah yes, the approach we all take when telling our partners the cost of instruments.
Sir John

OK so this is slightly (more) off topic but I've long been curious - do you guys really do this? Is such subterfuge necessary... or is this just pure humour?

Curious of Surrey

Taking the fifth on this 🤐
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 05:06:32 PM »

I'm not sure the Streb will work, if it's just a midi driver..??.. I don't think so, it would have to go the Bugari Evo way and licence/buy in the 'synth/digital engine' from Roland as it's the only one therefore the best. Midi driven expanders that take no notice of bellow driven 'velocity' are a poor compromise, that was always the big thing in the early days of wind synths and nowdays the factor of 127 Midi control steps for various functions is getting to be a serious limitation..having said that I still like/have the reliability/dependability of hardware modules although I must admit my IOS Ipad is starting to feel serious..
I wouldn't suggest a Streb for you, well, not just yet, anyway  >:E but the Streb does play like a real melodeon and knows what the bellows are doing. It has speaker, line out and headphones as well as midi, and is well suited to midnight practice while maintaining domestic (and neighbourly) harmony. Or, plugged into an amp, the converse.
[edit - *built-in* speaker]
It is easy to get started with, you can do clever or silly stuff if you want, and I've heard no complaints about reliability.
Longer term remains to be seen (>10 years perhaps) but held in high regard.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 09:36:11 PM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

tom f

• Regular debater
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 07:19:11 PM »

I think you'd be well advised to follow your initial inclination and buy a Hohner Pokerwork or Erica.  They are basic but robustly built (make sure you go for a German made one), easily repairable and hold their value.  if you take to melodeon playing then you can always update later.  Iif not your box will be easily re-saleable.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 07:54:59 PM »

Hi
I have a Castagnari Nik
It is in good condition for its age and has been serviced before I got it.The tuning is  not as dry as a standard Castagnari,It can go at  £850 if interested.
For what it's worth, I think Niks are really good instruments. I know they have the standard reeds compared to hand finished or hand made, but I think they have a lot to recommend them. I haven't seen one as cheap as £850 since I started looking for a DG a couple of years ago.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 08:53:54 PM »

I think you'd be well advised to follow your initial inclination and buy a Hohner Pokerwork or Erica.  They are basic but robustly built (make sure you go for a German made one), easily repairable and hold their value.  if you take to melodeon playing then you can always update later.  Iif not your box will be easily re-saleable.

^ This  (:) :|||:

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 09:03:37 PM »

The price for the Rik does not reflect the quality,It was set up my Mike Rowbotham,Its just I am running out of room and have new instruments coming in,its just been here a while
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
Re: Looking for my first melodeon***SORTED***
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 10:38:51 PM »

Looks like I've got myself a German made GCF Corona classic II 3 Row...decided on this after watching 'Daddy Long Les' I like the X rowing..not so 'lumpy'...I'll update as soon as I get my hands on it.....

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 07:56:45 AM »

That 'lumpy' is going to kick off a storm.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 08:25:31 AM »

Ha ha ha!!! I thought that too Pete  ;D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 08:39:43 AM »

I don't know if this is where it came from, but it was the first time I met it.

I used to dance regularly at ceilidhs and barn dances, and subscribed to an associated mailing list. A number of bands and callers were on the list in addition to dancers.
I made the comment that some styles of playing were "too smooth" too feel a beat for dancing.
This caused some merriment, and somebody came back with the statement that they could make music as "lumpy" as I liked (or words to that effect - it was a while ago).

Since then I have seen it many times to describe English dance music with a solid beat for dancers.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:41:22 AM by malcolmbebb »
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."

Sebastian

« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 10:04:00 AM »

I'm not sure the Streb will work, if it's just a midi driver..??
It works fine as a controller for your XBox.

https://youtu.be/nqRWWIeuP5w

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »

Why? It's common currency when describing English music. Lumpy is good  :|||:

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 11:40:31 AM »

The word lumpy, always makes me think of Joyce Grenfell. You need to be of a certain age to remember her,. I use the word lumpy to describe a sea condition, but not as being descriptive of music.

Sir John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tmRw_z3Crs
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 11:55:31 AM »

Why? It's common currency when describing English music. Lumpy is good  :|||:

Innit, as I believe the young people say... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »

You need to be of a certain age to remember her.

Ouch.  I remember her ("and George, don't do that") have I reached 'a certain age' already and no one told me?   (:)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 01:04:59 PM »

To my mind, the classic English dance step is a step-hop, and to dance to it needs a 'bum cha - bum cha' rhythm with emphasis on the Bum ....if you see what I mean  ::)
Hence 'lumpy'!
As Helena says, 'lumpy is good'.

Our social dances are generally about patterns not steps so don't use intricate steps.
Step hops are all you need.
Baz up there ^^^ will have more to contribute as an experienced caller, but in my book Lumpy Rules!
Q

Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal