Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for my first melodeon***SORTED***  (Read 6113 times)

arty

Re: Looking for my first melodeon***SORTED***
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 02:17:49 PM »

Lumpy bums it is then!  ;D
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »

Looks like I've got myself a German made GCF Corona classic II 3 Row...decided on this after watching 'Daddy Long Les' I like the X rowing..not so 'lumpy'...I'll update as soon as I get my hands on it.....

Well, I like the possibility for flowing legato as well as bouncy lumpiness.  For the large number of Morris and folk dance enthusiasts here a compulsive jiggly rhythm is much to be desired.  If, OTOH you wish to accompany yourself singing wistful, even lachrymose songs of nostalgia, regret and damn bad luck then lumpiness tends to go against the flow.  I’m working on Tom Bowling at the moment.  A bouncy choppy sound for this wouldn’t do, to my ears at least.  Likewise Waley Waley.

There is no perfect sound for everyone.  Each to his own.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2017, 03:00:50 PM »

Any melodeon player worth their salt should be able to play lumpy and smooth whenever required, according to the needs of the music being played.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 03:02:12 PM »

You make it sound like custard Steve

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »

Any melodeon player worth their salt should be able to play lumpy and smooth whenever required, according to the needs of the music being played.

Any souther English style player that is.

Other styles are available and here in northeast England dance playing has much more in common with Scottish and Irish styles
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #45 on: December 14, 2017, 04:04:12 PM »

Other styles are available and here in northeast England dance playing has much more in common with Scottish and Irish styles
I guess I was using the terms lumpy and smooth very loosely, so lumpy can also mean bouncy, and smooth can also mean fluid. We should be able switch to any style, as required.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2017, 09:01:09 AM »

Indeed. A friend of mine was involved in Crookfinger Jack, one of the first revival bands to try to popularise Northern styles and tunes. In the sleeve notes that accompany the CD re release (if CDs have sleeves...) he refers to the then fashion for East Anglian style bands and tunes as "Southern plodders". We're still friends... :|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal