Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sag'ne 15 button box  (Read 8493 times)

mselic

Sag'ne 15 button box
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:40:10 PM »

I'm very much considering getting a 15 button, 1 1/2 row Sag'ne box.  I've reached out to a few people on here that I know have tried them, but I thought I'd extend this out to the entire community. I currently have a Beltuna one-row, and it's a fantastic box, however I'm looking at getting into more options with key changes, etc (on a one row in D, the missing Cnat and G# means a lot of tunes can't be played in those keys, or they have to be fudged, which definitely changes the feel of them).  I play mostly Irish and Newfoundland music, and I do so in a band with a fiddle and bazouki player, and it would be really nice to be able to explore more key changes in sets of tunes than I'm currently able to.  One option is to go to C#D, but then I sacrifice the LMMH sound which I so love (also not interested in a 4 voice C#D - that's too much!).  The 15 button box is something of a compromise between a one row and semi-tone box.

What I'm looking for is feedback from anyone who's played one, and other one-row boxes.  Comparisons, thoughts, etc are all welcomed.  It's difficult dishing out for an instrument without having had the opportunity to try one, hence my hesitation.  I've rarely tried a one-row that plays as effortlessly as the Beltuna...my concern would be that a 15 button Sag'ne might be a lot of work to play, and therefore less fun! Fast action and reed response are my top priorities.

I've also looked into a Bouchard box, but the wait time is several years and for that reason it's not an option for me anymore.  Apologies if this thread touches on ground already covered before. Thanks!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
Re: Sag'ne 15 button box
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »

I've had the pleasure of playing on Mitch's 15 button Sagné in D and I have to say I'm impressed.

I'm not really a 1 row player, but generally the 4 stop instruments are quite chunky and I'm always a bit surprised by that as my first couple of 1 row experiences were with the Hohner 114 and Castagnari Max, both of which are very small in the 1 row world.  Rees makes the little windjammer too, but beyond those all the 4 stop boxes I've played have been around the same size with bigger bellows dimensions.  A lot of the handmade cajun boxes feel like they might be unwieldy at that size, but great reeds and a nice action tends to overcome this easily giving a powerful and responsive instrument.  I have to say that the 15 button Sagné I tried didn't feel any bigger than most 10 button boxes in the way it responded.

It is one of the boxes on my "I could seriously do with one of them" list!
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

mselic

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »

I know that Sag'ne accordions are made with leather reed valves. I've heard it suggested that plastic valves give faster reed response. Is there any truth to this? If this were the case, why would anyone use leather valves? (I do know that plastic valves can sometimes be a bit noisy).

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »

Good question, but I wouldn't think so either.

I like to know more if you do end up getting one, probaly would be the way I would go if I was to get another box.
My other thought would be LMM 21 button two row.

I like how Mitch has two bass ends with his , that makes them more appealing.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 09:36:22 PM »

Today’s “Advent Calender” recording is of a Sag’ne box.  https://www.facebook.com/groups/1456645407782343/permalink/1506948822752001/

Mitch
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2017, 09:57:17 AM »

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

kenakordeon

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 04:08:23 PM »

If you still are considering a 15-button box you might want to contact Bryan LaFleur of L'Anse Grise Accordions. He appears to build primarily single-rows for the Cajun music players but that might be because his reputation is not more widely known. I think he has built a 15 button box but I"m not completely sure about that.

I've played only one of his earlier accordions and I really did like it. He repaired one of my single-row boxes and turned a lousy box into a good instrument. He seems to be open to new challenges in the building of accordions.

Ken

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 05:36:08 PM »

https://www.facebook.com/lansegrise.accordions
He shows one on His FB page #29 the marbled headache w/ four bass five stops
I'm trying to think how the fifth stop gets the box to play dry? Edit maybe five banks of reeds.
I'd love to hear it.
Looks like He used straight levers and rods to the pallets then made a turn inside the keyboard to connect to the appropriate hole of the main row. Looks like the half row is traditional set up.

Edit to say Mselic just found another one row so maybe He's not looking now?
This thread
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,21682.msg260883/topicseen.html#new
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 05:49:17 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2018, 03:01:56 PM »

Are the Sagné boxes still being made? I’m curious how many of these are out there.

mselic

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2018, 03:18:53 PM »

Yes, they're still being made - I spoke with the maker recently and he had one completed and ready to sell. They retail new for $3600 Canadian. I believe there's quite a few out there now in Quebec and beyond.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2018, 03:29:19 PM »

Who makes these and do they make other models?

mselic

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2018, 04:30:58 PM »

Marcel Desgagne, from near Sagenauy, Quebec. In addition to the 15-button boxes he also makes a standard 10-button one-row.

mselic

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2018, 04:32:43 PM »

Old video, but still relevant:

https://youtu.be/ZlKPvLc0kZw

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »

Thanks!
I’d be interested in knowing which builders in Quebec are continuing to make accordions.

tirpous

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2018, 05:20:37 PM »

André Bouchard, Robert Boutet, Yvon Martel, Mélodie, Messervier, Sag'né.  I'm not sure Réjean Simard and M. Paradis are still active.  There must be others I forget. 

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2018, 05:39:13 PM »

Interesting to note that most of these makers are slowly beginning to wander away from their youth, I'm hoping they are schooling their successors (I know that Sylvain Vézina from Mélodie is working with his daughter, and perhaps Marcel Messervier is doing something similar too ?).

You can add Stéphane Groleau https://ecordeon.veganequebec.net (I believe he's from Québec – the city – or nearby), he's making 1-row melodeons, with the particularity of having no parts coming from animals.

We have a maker not far from where I live that is making good 1-row +3 buttons melodeons, Cajun-style, although currency exchanges rates may not be in your favour.

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2018, 06:05:09 PM »

I don’t believe that I’ve heard of Martel.

As for the guy making vegan accordions, is he really making more for sale? I got the impression is was more for personal use.

Is Paradis really still building?

Is Marcel Sr. still active?

The reason I asked the question is that I wonder whether active building in Quebec is diminishing now that more instruments are available from elsewhere that meet the needs and expectations.

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2018, 06:16:03 PM »

I don't really know, but if it's only for his own use, he's made quite a job of communicating about it.

Good question regarding the accordion building. I'm guessing the makers were not that happy when Beltuna did a big move to the canadian market about a decade ago (good strategy in reaching some well regarded players, although some players were already favoring Italian-made accordions, for instance Gaston Nolet). Being factory-made, you can have a cheaper accordion, with a shorter waiting time, but I don't know what the sales figures can be over there.

mselic

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 07:27:37 PM »

Being factory-made, you can have a cheaper accordion, with a shorter waiting time, but I don't know what the sales figures can be over there.

My Beltuna, purchased new in Montreal, was more expensive than any Quebec-made box on the market.

It's now in the hands of a fantastic player and, as good a box as it is, I don't miss it at all.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:55:44 PM by mselic »

melodeon

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »

Many players, including here in the USA, are familiar with Eric Martin. Followed the link.......

Interesting the first image of a box is labeled as  a 1 1/2 row.  I see 10 and 3.. would that not be closer to a  1 1/3 row ?  : )
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 12:45:30 AM by melodeon »
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal