Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Sag'ne 15 button box  (Read 8506 times)

komat

• Eastcoaster
  • Regular debater
Re: Sag'ne 15 button box
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2018, 03:14:51 AM »

Is Marcel Sr. still active?

I recently attempted to purchase from the Messerviers. I'm going to be writing a post detailing my experience with them in a new thread, should you care for some insight.
Too many accordions, help!

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2018, 09:38:58 AM »

Many players, including here in the USA, are familiar with Eric Martin.

I knew Éric (and his family) made regular trips to Louisiana, but I didn't know how far they were known. That's well-deserved !

Interesting the first image of a box is labeled as  a 1 1/2 row.  I see 10 and 3.. would that not be closer to a  1 1/3 row ?  : )

For me it's similar to what we use for 2 rows + n buttons, where most often than not, we talk about 2 1/2 rows, for 4 to 7 buttons. (also, in the context of the website, it's difficult to multiply the categories, into 1 1/3, 1 1/2, 1 2/3 etc., and it's also the name that Éric gave to the model).

triskel

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2018, 12:17:54 PM »

Many players, including here in the USA, are familiar with Eric Martin.

I knew Éric (and his family) made regular trips to Louisiana, but I didn't know how far they were known. That's well-deserved !

I must say I was hugely impressed by Katie Howson's D/G one when she let me have a go on it (and wish I was in a position to order one from him myself). I've never played one of his 10-key 4-stoppers yet though, but that will be rectified shortly because a friend of mine tells me he's just bought a second hand Bb one - which I look forward to seeing.

Interesting the first image of a box is labeled as  a 1 1/2 row.  I see 10 and 3.. would that not be closer to a  1 1/3 row ?  : )

For me it's similar to what we use for 2 rows + n buttons, where most often than not, we talk about 2 1/2 rows, for 4 to 7 buttons. (also, in the context of the website, it's difficult to multiply the categories, into 1 1/3, 1 1/2, 1 2/3 etc., and it's also the name that Éric gave to the model).

I find it handier to use a decimal point when describing partial "helper" rows like that, so I'd describe a 10 + 3 (for example) as a "1.3-row"...

tirpous

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2018, 03:07:29 PM »

The reason I asked the question is that I wonder whether active building in Quebec is diminishing now that more instruments are available from elsewhere that meet the needs and expectations.

I don't know how involved Mr Messervier is with the building, but I just saw a picture taken earlier this week of him in the shop with someone taking delivery of a new box.  So he's still in the picture ...  (:)

I don't see all that many of these 'instruments from elsewhere' around (we're talking better quality 1-row boxes, right?).  If building is slowing down, it would more likely be due to age or health issues.

melodeon

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2018, 03:29:14 PM »

Triskel.. wouldn't  that be a 1.3333333333333333333333.............. row if using decimals ?

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2018, 03:59:09 PM »

"I find it handier to use a decimal point when describing partial "helper" rows like that, so I'd describe a 10 + 3 (for example) as a "1.3-row"..."

Mmmmmm! So the "point" isn't a decimal point in reality, maybe a comma would be more appropriate. Then a 2,7 would be correct for a 2 1/2 row with 7 helpers, and your 1,3 would also correctly describe your (standard) 1 1/2 row with 3 helpers, yes?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2018, 04:07:21 PM »

I don't see all that many of these 'instruments from elsewhere' around (we're talking better quality 1-row boxes, right?).  If building is slowing down, it would more likely be due to age or health issues.

I meant mostly Beltuna and Cajun makers. I have observed both.

I agree that he builders’ aging could be part of what’s happening and it’s part of why I asked.

Also saturation of the market; inheritance and resale  of goodr boxes that are already out there.

melodeon

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2018, 04:12:03 PM »

Wouldn't it be simpler to say   13 buttons or 15 buttons on two rows. ?

Let's pick the fly specs out of the pepper.  : )

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2018, 04:22:23 PM »

I recently attempted to purchase from the Messerviers. I'm going to be writing a post detailing my experience with them in a new thread, should you care for some insight.

Good, that will be interesting!

triskel

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2018, 05:45:21 PM »

Triskel.. wouldn't  that be a 1.3333333333333333333333.............. row if using decimals ?

Only if you had 9 buttons on the outside row, and you were feeling pedantic. But we're talking about boxes with 10 buttons on the outside row here, so it isn't 1 1/3, it's 1 3/10 = 1.3  ::)

komat

• Eastcoaster
  • Regular debater
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2018, 08:52:49 PM »

The reason I asked the question is that I wonder whether active building in Quebec is diminishing now that more instruments are available from elsewhere that meet the needs and expectations.

I don't know how involved Mr Messervier is with the building, but I just saw a picture taken earlier this week of him in the shop with someone taking delivery of a new box.  So he's still in the picture ...  (:)

I just found this picture. That's the accordion I sent back a couple weeks ago!
Too many accordions, help!

mselic

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2018, 11:35:18 PM »

When it comes to one-row boxes, those built locally here in Quebec are still the most popular and common as far as I can tell.  You will see the odd Cajun box, and the odd Beltuna, but they certainly don't rival the popularity of the Melodies, Messerviers and other Quebec-made boxes.  That's not to say the Quebec-made boxes are necessarily better than those from "elsewhere", but they are more readily available, both new and used.

I'm surprised there aren't more one-row builders outside of North America, especially Ireland.  It seems that, before the Beltuna, the Castagnari "Max" was the go-to choice for pro Irish players, possibly because of availability (I'm guessing here).

I'd love to try a Martel, or a Boutet.  Here's a video of the later, being played by its maker:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFUrc_yESJQ
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

mselic

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2018, 11:39:45 PM »

I meant to add...I'm really keen on trying an Eric Martin one-row, or even a 10+3 (or whatever you want to call it).  I haven't been able to find many examples of them on youtube, but it does look like Gilles Poutoux plays one here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmPmd7NObxo
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

Tyker

• Respected Sage
  • Cheviot C#DG,Hohners D and G/C
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2018, 12:41:13 PM »

"I find it handier to use a decimal point when describing partial "helper" rows like that, so I'd describe a 10 + 3 (for example) as a "1.3-row"..."

Mmmmmm! So the "point" isn't a decimal point in reality, maybe a comma would be more appropriate. Then a 2,7 would be correct for a 2 1/2 row with 7 helpers, and your 1,3 would also correctly describe your (standard) 1 1/2 row with 3 helpers, yes?
But on the continent that would be equivalent to a decimal point.
For over 50 years , this kind of notation has been used by scorers in cricket , where 22.4 overs equates to 20 overs and 4 balls of the next over.
It is just a notation.
Graeme - North Hampshire,UK

There is no noun that can't be verbed

triskel

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2018, 03:57:19 PM »

Wouldn't it be simpler to say   13 buttons or 15 buttons on two rows. ?

You think "13 buttons or 15 buttons on two rows" is simpler than simply saying "1.3-row"? :o

Nobody's trying to force you to change Jeff, you type it your long-winded way and I'll type it my neat one, as I have been doing for years without anybody ever querying what I mean - it seems obvious enough.

Let's pick the fly specs out of the pepper.  : )

Nit-picking you mean? Yes, that sounds like it... ::)

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2018, 04:14:51 PM »

I just found this picture. That's the accordion I sent back a couple weeks ago!

Where’s the picture?
What happened?

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2018, 04:47:22 PM »

It seems that, before the Beltuna, the Castagnari "Max" was the go-to choice for pro Irish players, possibly because of availability (I'm guessing here).

That's about right. The Castagnari is still very popular, but the Beltuna is making rapid inroads.
The Hohner HA-114 (old model) was popular also, and indeed, the hugely respected Johnny Connolly plays and recorded with one in the key of C. He had been playing his Hohner for some time before he acquired his Junior Martin.

I'm surprised there aren't more one-row builders outside of North America, especially Ireland. 

Martin Connolly of Kincora Accordions did, for a brief period make a one -row. The last time I checked with him,
which is a few years ago now, he had discontinued the line. I don't think a huge number of them were ever made.
It actually is a great sounding melodeon, but possibly not the easiest to play.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 05:36:02 PM »

Johnny Connolly now plays a Castagnari "Max", a gift from his son.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2018, 07:20:46 PM »

Martin Connolly of Kincora Accordions did, for a brief period make a one -row. The last time I checked with him,
which is a few years ago now, he had discontinued the line. I don't think a huge number of them were ever made.
It actually is a great sounding melodeon, but possibly not the easiest to play.
Looks nice but I wonder why spoons? Most modern boxes have buttons and spoons could put a few buyers off.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

gettabettabox

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2018, 07:57:12 PM »

Spoons for me anyday,  love the feel of their action.
They can present with sealing problems occasionally, but easily sorted.
That kincora box,no doubt, would be a belter, but I couldn't live with the proclamations and it seems to have a bit too much spacing between the spoon ends? ...for me, that is.
(Johnny the box sleeps with his Hohner 4 stop.)  :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal