Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sag'ne 15 button box  (Read 8494 times)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
Re: Sag'ne 15 button box
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2018, 08:37:01 PM »

I much prefer the sound of spoon basses as they open outwards giving a kind of wah sound.
Button basses go inwards so the wah effect is lost.
However, I do fit button basses to my own hand-built instruments as I have been unable to find a decent source for the spoon type.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2018, 08:48:38 PM »

Well that's a good reason Rees, I never thought about that. I haven't played a Hohner 4 stop so I never got to hear that wah sound. (:)
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2018, 09:15:45 PM »

.. I have been unable to find a decent source for the spoon type.

I have heard mention of Irish Dancemaster Accordions being a source.

triskel

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2018, 03:12:54 AM »

Martin Connolly of Kincora Accordions did, for a brief period make a one -row. The last time I checked with him,
which is a few years ago now, he had discontinued the line. I don't think a huge number of them were ever made.
It actually is a great sounding melodeon, but possibly not the easiest to play.

I believe he based it on his Mélodie.

komat

• Eastcoaster
  • Regular debater
« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »

I just found this picture. That's the accordion I sent back a couple weeks ago!

Where’s the picture?
What happened?

See the Messervier thread I just started.
Too many accordions, help!

Suzanne Rhees

• New Starter
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2018, 07:53:25 PM »

Entry-level participant here - does anyone on the list have one of these?  Seriously considering buying one, but wondering about weight and ability to handle, as a rather petite person.  Currently playing a D 1-row, and would like to keep that arrangement on the 'main' row.  The Bouchard Melodeon would meet my needs just fine, but the 5-year waitlist is a bit of a deterrent!

thanks in advance
Wind n'Reed

mselic

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2018, 10:22:00 PM »

Entry-level participant here - does anyone on the list have one of these?  Seriously considering buying one, but wondering about weight and ability to handle, as a rather petite person.  Currently playing a D 1-row, and would like to keep that arrangement on the 'main' row.  The Bouchard Melodeon would meet my needs just fine, but the 5-year waitlist is a bit of a deterrent!

thanks in advance

Although I’ve never actually played one of the 15-button boxes myself, I have dealt with the maker, Marcel Desgagne, and I can tell you that he’s an absolute gem of a man and a pleasure to do business with. His turn around time for an accordion is fairly quick, and he often has several made already and ready to sell. I believe his latest boxes are his best yet. There’s a few people on this forum who have tried one and I’m sure they’ll be along shortly.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2018, 12:19:24 AM »

I've just seen this Rees, but I agree with it so much that I had to post!  Your box I bought is still fantastic - but it would be even more amazing if it had spoons.

I much prefer the sound of spoon basses as they open outwards giving a kind of wah sound.
Button basses go inwards so the wah effect is lost.
However, I do fit button basses to my own hand-built instruments as I have been unable to find a decent source for the spoon type.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2018, 10:44:21 PM »

thanks in advance

Yes, I have one.
Do you have specific questions about weight and handleability?
I’m away from home at the moment so don’t have access to the instrument to demonstrate but I can answer any general questions.

Mitch

Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2018, 07:12:00 AM »

I am no expert on one row boxes but I did go to a workshop where Sabin Jacques gave an impressive demonstration of a the versatility of a Messervier accordion (1 think it was a 1.5 row). I would consider Messervier as a possible builder. Sabin was certainly impressed with Messervier.
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2018, 08:57:59 AM »

I am no expert on one row boxes but I did go to a workshop where Sabin Jacques gave an impressive demonstration of a the versatility of a Messervier accordion (1 think it was a 1.5 row). I would consider Messervier as a possible builder. Sabin was certainly impressed with Messervier.

Sabin recently (in the last 18 months) began playing a 1+ row, but it's an André Bouchard machine. AFAIK Messervier has never made one.

komat

• Eastcoaster
  • Regular debater
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2018, 06:45:17 PM »

Sabin recently (in the last 18 months) began playing a 1+ row, but it's an André Bouchard machine. AFAIK Messervier has never made one.

Can’t say for a fact that Messervier has never made a 1.5 row, but I know he made a D/C# box for Dénis Pépin some time ago. He’s also made a 3 row box, but not sure if it ever went to market.

As for Desgagné, he’s incredible. Very very easy to deal with, communicates frequently, builds an out of this world box. I can’t recommend him enough!
Too many accordions, help!
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal