Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transmogrified Tunes  (Read 2776 times)

Mutt

• Melodiate
  • Good talker
  • D/G Saltarelle Infeno, D/G Club IIb, A/D Pokerwork
Transmogrified Tunes
« on: December 04, 2017, 08:55:02 PM »

Sometimes, for a lark, I'll take a tune I'm familiar with and mess with the rhythm, or add a new "B" part, change major to minor key, whatever, just to see what comes out.  I usually do this with tunes I learned as a child.  Most often the results are horrifying, but occasionally I'm pleasantly surprised, and I keep it.

Recently, I couldn't get "Ach Du Lieber Augustin" out of my ear, so I decided to try it as a polka.  It worked!  I kept it and played it for a while, and suddenly I realized why it seemed so "right":  It was "Polly Put the Kettle On," no mistake about it, albeit as a polka.

I wonder how many other folk tunes are just transmogrifications of each other?  I have a singer friend who says there are no "new" tunes.  Maybe she's right
George Knight
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes, brrrrrrr!

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
Re: Transmogrified Tunes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 08:57:57 PM »

I hornpiped Planxty Irwin a while back. It bears a startling resemblance to English Country Gardens...

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 10:24:08 PM »

I hornpiped Planxty Irwin a while back. It bears a startling resemblance to English Country Gardens...

and the B part of Not For Joe has a terrible habit of morphing into the Keel Row. That is not a problem unless you get carried away and start playing the B part of the Keel Row when you should be going back to the A part of Not For Joe.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

The Irish reel "The Little Bag of Spuds" has always struck me as a supercharged version of "Shepherd's Hey" - first couple of bars, anyway (:)

https://youtu.be/DX9WfdP11JU?t=1m50s

M:C|
L:1/8
K:G
BcdB cdec|BddB ABGA|BddB cdef|[1 gabg a2 g2:|[2gabg a4 |
|:gabg eaaf|gabg (3efe de|1 gabg eaaf|gedB A4:|2 gabg efga|gedB A2 GA|

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 11:56:36 PM »

Clive, I remember hearing your Planxty Irwin Hornpipe posted a while back, which I learned and now regularly play on concertina. Other players have approached me at festivals saying they know that tune, but just can't pick what it is. When I tell them and the penny drops, several have said that they'll have a go at it themselves, so it has now gained some currency "Down Under".

Thanks for the inspiration.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 12:01:17 AM by Malcolm Clapp »
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

TomB

• BCC#, Cairden BC Mini and lots of PA's
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 01:18:15 AM »

The one that always cracks me up is when I hear the Beethoven 'Ode to Joy' played in jig time   :|||: . I'm sure there must be some Morris team somewhere who dance to it   :M

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 07:31:23 AM »

The one that always cracks me up is when I hear the Beethoven 'Ode to Joy' played in jig time   :|||: . I'm sure there must be some Morris team somewhere who dance to it   :M
You've just reminded me of a bit of fun I had a few years ago. I discovered that the jig 'Moon and Seven Stars' could also be played in march tempo, and the two versions also fitted together, as did the jig version with 'Ode to Joy'.

Cue a hour or so playing around with multi-tracking on GarageBand and here is the result. All played on a one-row four-stop melodeon in D, the one I made on Emmanuel Pariselle's 2008 course in Stowmarket.

https://soundcloud.com/steve_freereeder/seven-stars-fantasia
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 07:58:54 AM »

If you’ve got the right accidentals then I reckon Diamonds are a Girl’s Best Friend would make a good march or polka.  Possibly even a hornpipe.💎💃🏻💎
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Phil Howard

• Regular debater
    • Red Cuthbert Morris
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »

and the B part of Not For Joe has a terrible habit of morphing into the Keel Row. That is not a problem unless you get carried away and start playing the B part of the Keel Row when you should be going back to the A part of Not For Joe.

Having not played it for a while, I’ve found recently the B part of the Louth Quickstep consistently turning into Not For Joe second time through.

Steve Coombes

• Good talker
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »

Bath City Morris did a dance to it we called Ludwigs' Pleasure. Can't remember what time signature, tradition or even if the apostrophe is in the right place.
Tommy D/G

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 12:19:16 PM »

Playing the melody of Phil Collins' "Another Day In Paradise" in 6/8 gives you a tune that sounds like it could come straight from Playford!  It pairs well with Half Hannikin
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »

Sometimes at dances we will morph from Star of Munster into Van Morrison's Moondance - I'm sure he must have based the melody on the traditional tune.

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 08:45:27 PM »

The first time I heard the word "transmogrified" was on television when Leonard Bernstein was talking about Charles Ives' Symphony Number Two. I used to play Tommy's Tarbukas on the mandolin as a Tango, which then morphed into Herndano's Hideaway (words by Robert Frost). Also a friend of mine changed Arkansas Traveler iino the Peking Traveler by flatting notes and adding a "shave and a haircut, two bits"' ending. I thought I had written it out but I guess I didn't. Charlie
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »

Steamchicken are good at this sort of thing.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2017, 07:27:45 PM »

You've just reminded me of a bit of fun I had a few years ago. I discovered that the jig 'Moon and Seven Stars' could also be played in march tempo, and the two versions also fitted together, as did the jig version with 'Ode to Joy'.

Cue a hour or so playing around with multi-tracking on GarageBand and here is the result. All played on a one-row four-stop melodeon in D, the one I made on Emmanuel Pariselle's 2008 course in Stowmarket.

https://soundcloud.com/steve_freereeder/seven-stars-fantasia
Very nice, Steve.  (:)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2017, 09:53:50 PM »

Among others
 goodbye mick, goodbye pat song sounds a lot like Polly Wolly doodle.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

MandoC

• Respected Sage
    • Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band
Re: Transmogrified Tunes The Peking Traveler
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »

Here is a totally inappropriate version of The Peking Traveler as I mentioned in a previous post.
Charlie Hunt
Mandolins and now, B/C Button Accordion)

Swing Dogs Contra Dance Band, Facebook Page:https://www.facebook.com/SwingDogs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal