Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How should I learn to play? (Beginner)  (Read 2664 times)

ggrbz

• New Starter
How should I learn to play? (Beginner)
« on: November 22, 2017, 04:34:44 PM »

Hello,

Another beginner here.
I grew up hearing melodeon tunes all the time but never learned to play. I inherited a Hohner Vienna 1040-C recently. It is a one-row melodeon and it makes a lovely sound.
I would like to play Circassian folk tunes but I live in Vienna and seriously, here, they don't even know what Circassian is. And there are so few of us living in Vienna, there is no one to teach me either. I decided I will start with standart, European tunes for beginners(since there are many resources for this kind of music), then maybe a year later I will try our folk tunes. Or should I just start playing whatever I feel like? I am kind of confused about this and would welcome suggestions.

https://imgur.com/a/FIxtK
I would also appreciate any information on my melodeon, how old it might be for example? It was made in Germany, that's all I know.

Thank you.

Sebastian

Re: How should I learn to play? (Beginner)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 05:51:15 PM »

Or should I just start playing whatever I feel like?
Yes, of course.

Anne Croucher

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:01:12 PM »

I am so far from being an expert - but what I have done is to potter about the keyboard, quietly, just listening to the notes and finding bits of tunes, then try to add a few more notes - sometimes there isn't a note in there, so I try something else.

I do have a lot of tunes in my head, last week I was playing twelve bar blues, at the weekend the waltzes man in the moon and south wind this week Christmas carols - the notes just fall under my fingers now, but I play two or three times a day for a few minutes at a time.

Don't stop playing when you have failed to find a tune, go back to something you can play and repeat it until you can do the whole thing - be it a nursery rhyme or a pop song, it is the succeeding which is important.
Barcarole D/G
Hohner Ericas D/G and C/F
Hohner el Rey del Vallenato A/D/G aka 'Elvis'
Hohner Liliput Bb/Eb club layout
Meinel & Herold G C F 3 voice 3 row 16 bass

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:49:55 PM »

Nothing to do with playing the box, but you might like to know that in English Folk Dance clubs we often do a “Circassian Circle Dance” at end of the evening to get everybody on the dance floor in a big circle. Very basic dance of in to the middle and out then promenade around. I’m sure your countrymen would be horrified at our English version, danced to English tune, but it’s quite fun.

As for the box, any idea what key it is tuned to. Might be a single letter stamped on end of the keyboard. Otherwise 3rd button from chin-end on bellows push will be “home” key from which you can play a major scale.

Sebastian

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »

As Anne suggested. You don't need musical notationes to play your one-row. You have circassian melodies in your head? Than go and play them out.

Das ist ein einreihiges Akkordeon, die sind straightforward to play, no hidden subtleties (zumindest nicht am Anfang). Die sind dafür gemacht, einfach herumzuprobieren und loszuspielen. Dafür braucht niemand Unterricht.

You will certainly have some questions later on and there will be answers to those questions, but first and foremost: Just go and try to play whatever you want to play. In this stage you can't make mistakes, and whatever you do is a step foreward in learning to play your accordion.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 07:39:59 PM by Sebastian »

Simon Cragg

• Good talker
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 07:24:46 PM »

Might be worth reading my thread from the beginning, as I am sure it will help you. I am about as far removed from being musical, as an ant is from entering the Olympics and representing UK in the pole vault!.
However, having persevered for three months or so, I think I am getting somewhere.
The body is able, but the mind gets left behind.
I (and my wife who is learning the clarinet at the same time), have found that if we set targets it becomes slightly easier.
At present we are trying to learn basic Xmas songs which our adoring family can join in with, after a suitable amount of alcohol so they do not notice the mistakes!.
Anyway, have a good read up and please ask, as there are some brilliant / helpful bods on here.
Simon. 

ggrbz

• New Starter
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 11:55:19 PM »

Nothing to do with playing the box, but you might like to know that in English Folk Dance clubs we often do a “Circassian Circle Dance” at end of the evening to get everybody on the dance floor in a big circle. Very basic dance of in to the middle and out then promenade around. I’m sure your countrymen would be horrified at our English version, danced to English tune, but it’s quite fun.

I am sure it is not bad at all and all fun ;) It is how we learn as well.
My melodeon is a key of C. I don't know the year it was produced though.

Thank you all for all the replies. There are also some really good posts here.

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 06:58:59 PM »

I Googled "Circassian tunes" and quite  lot came up - mostly relevant to you as far as I can see. Good luck!

Chris B.
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 12:22:12 AM »

Hello,

Another beginner here.
I grew up hearing melodeon tunes all the time but never learned to play. I inherited a Hohner Vienna 1040-C recently. It is a one-row melodeon and it makes a lovely sound.
I would like to play Circassian folk tunes but I live in Vienna and seriously, here, they don't even know what Circassian is. And there are so few of us living in Vienna, there is no one to teach me either. I decided I will start with standart, European tunes for beginners(since there are many resources for this kind of music), then maybe a year later I will try our folk tunes. Or should I just start playing whatever I feel like? I am kind of confused about this and would welcome suggestions.

https://imgur.com/a/FIxtK
I would also appreciate any information on my melodeon, how old it might be for example? It was made in Germany, that's all I know.

Thank you.
I'm very surprised..obviously the Viennese have short memories...plenty of Circassians around in 1683..all banging at the gates wanting to be let in... :D
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

Ebor_fiddler

• Chris
  • Hohner 1040 C One-Row, Sandpiper D/G, Liliput C/F
    • Ebor Morris
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 10:22:21 PM »

I thought they were Turks, just calling on their friend Jan Sobiesky to say hello!
I'm a Yorkie!
My other melodeon's a fiddle, but one of my Hohners has six strings! I also play a very red Hawkins Bazaar in C and a generic Klingenthaler spoon bass in F.!! My other pets (played) are gobirons - Hohner Marine Band in C, Hohner Tremolo in D and a Chinese Thingy Tremolo in G.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal