Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My New Castagnari Dony G/C  (Read 1741 times)

arty

My New Castagnari Dony G/C
« on: December 19, 2017, 07:59:01 PM »

A few weeks ago, I took delivery of a new Castagnari Dony G/C, which I bought from Pete at Acorn Instruments. Before I go any further, I would just like to say what a delight it was dealing with Pete, an absolute gentleman, who made it a pleasure to buy from him. Thank you Pete, I am loving this box as much as my other one, which is a Castagnari Laura, (bought a few years ago, from another gentleman, Rees Wesson, with equal pleasure)!

I wanted another box for a few reasons. Firstly, to have a spare box in case anything went wrong with my Laura and secondly, I wanted extra basses and an extra half row in order to allow me to explore some new tunes. Pete happened to have this G/C Dony in stock, so I grabbed it and I am glad I did !

I was more than a little surprised at how very different it is to play, in comparison to the 2 row, 8 bass Laura. It is bigger, heavier and, even though it is also a 2 voice, it has quite a different sound to the Laura, much brighter, more available volume and, surprisingly I thought, far more sensitive, which enables me to play very quietly without losing the pureness of the sound. I don't know why this is, something to do with the bigger case and that the grill is less closed in, maybe. I am slowly getting to grips with the extra basses and having to move my left hand in order to reach them all, something I never do with my 8 bass. I am really beginning to love this box for very different reasons to those that I love my Laura for.

This is the first tune that I have learnt on it - a new piece written by Yann-Fanch Perroches, it is called Arpeges d'Automne.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4JWo4rwIM4

Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: My New Castagnari Dony G/C
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 08:19:06 PM »

Lovely tune, Thank you

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 08:27:15 PM »

That was lovely arty, thank you!
I sense a new enduring partnership in the making  ;)
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

melodeon

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:54:58 PM »

Nicely done.

The Dony has a very " special" sound.

Also proves two reeds are enough in the right box and the right player.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 03:04:16 PM by melodeon »

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 10:04:26 PM »

Lovely stuff. Perhaps you could send me a link to the dots. I'm not playing at the moment because I've had tinnitus for a week or so, but I'm hoping it might disappear - in which case I'd play the GC again in preference to the DG.
Any chance of a side by side comparison between the Laura and the Dony of the same tune?
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 12:08:03 AM »

Nice! Congratulations.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal