Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: wood type influence sound?  (Read 11991 times)

risto

• Respected Sage
Re: wood type influence sound?
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 06:50:02 AM »

.... then why would a hand made Costalottie sound better than a chinese instrument with the same reeds?  ...

Never underestimate psychology. You paid so much more for the Italian that it simply MUST sound better. :D

Maybe you have heard about the tests with bottled drinking water. The label on the bottle determines how good the water is though same tap water in all bottles.  ::)
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 07:04:01 AM »

PS. I think the Chinese are making a mistake when they copy Italian names and looks for their accordions. That is what makes them cheap (copies). A really Chinese looking accordion would be interesting.
Paolo Soprani 5-row, Roland FR1B-digital CBA button accordion. Guitar, 5-string OT banjo, mandolin, piano...
My one man band recording: https://apari.fi/Bonaparte_Crossing_The_Rhine_Risto.mp3

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »

In 60s/70s hohner made their Atlantic series piano boxes with an entirely aluminium casing.  Reedblocks were wood.  They have reputation for being loud, but in a good way!
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2009, 12:19:15 PM »

Maybe you have heard about the tests with bottled drinking water. The label on the bottle determines how good the water is though same tap water in all bottles.  ::)

We did a water tasting test, blind once. We all decided that the nicest tasting water was tap water :P
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »

Maybe you have heard about the tests with bottled drinking water. The label on the bottle determines how good the water is though same tap water in all bottles.  ::)

We did a water tasting test, blind once. We all decided that the nicest tasting water was tap water :P

Ah yes, familiarity does it's tricks.  ;)

Waltham

• Regular debater
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2009, 08:34:20 AM »

Those of you who are interested in musical instrument acoustics might find this interesting [no free reed content].

risto

• Respected Sage
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »

Those of you who are interested in musical instrument acoustics might find this interesting [no free reed content].

Thanks for the link Waltham. The free-plate tuning, I think, is currently used by some of the well-known mandolin builders as well. One Australian top mandolin builder comes to mind. The open-G tuned 5-string banjos are said to sound best when the head is "free-plate" tuned to G#. To get back to accordeons, the 5-string banjo and accordion IMO work extremely together. Bill Monroe did a mistake when he decided not to take accordion in his BG ensemble as I've heard he first intended.

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2009, 11:08:03 AM »

Excellent article. I love the bit about stealing the shelf from a phone bootth.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal