Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone recognise this?  (Read 1617 times)

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
Anyone recognise this?
« on: December 24, 2017, 11:42:00 AM »

I've just transcribed the first of Sam Fawcett's Quadrilles from the playing of his son, Septimus. It sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place it. A search on folktunefinder.com has failed to identify it. Does anyone recognise it?
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Anyone recognise this?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 11:50:01 AM »

I've just transcribed the first of Sam Fawcett's Quadrilles from the playing of his son, Septimus. It sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't place it. A search on folktunefinder.com has failed to identify it. Does anyone recognise it?

Do you have the ABC?

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 12:32:39 PM »

I've never used ABC other than to put it into software that automatically converts it to sheet music, but I don't think there is anything that will convert automatically from sheet music to ABC.

I'll have a look this afternoon to see how difficult ABC is. If I can convert Sam Fawcett's Quadrille in an hour or so, I'll do so; if not, I'll leave it because I would rather spend the time transcribing Dales tunes, of which I still have quite a few to complete.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 01:36:19 PM »

I'm transcribing it to abc now Bob, but bars 4 and 12 are difficult to reconcile, is one voice playing the dotted minim while the second voice plays the rest?
Squeezing on the Isle of Oxney, UK
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G
Hohner B/E, G/C, C/F, Bb/Eb G/C/F
Liliputs D/G (G scale), C/F, Bb/Eb, Albrecht Custom D/G (G scale)

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 01:50:33 PM »

I wasn't sure how to notate Bars 4 and 12. The first time through the A music, Sepp Fawcett played both bars the same: an E that was held for the whole bar whilst playing three C notes over the top of it to harmonise. On the repeat of the A music, he held the E note again for the whole bar, but in Bar 4 he played the two G notes I have put in brackets underneath the E note instead of the three C notes over the top of it. The second time through Bar 12, he just played the long E note without any harmony notes. Does that make sense?

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 01:56:18 PM »

Yep but as these extra notes make little difference to the overall melody I've just transcribed the top line. It sounds a bit familiar to me too!

X:71
T:Sam Fawcett's Quadrille No.1
O:Septimus Fawcett
M:6/8
L:1/8
%%titlefont Helvetica 22
%%subtitlefont Helvetica 16
%%composerfont Helvetica 16
%%wordsfont Helvetica 16
%%partsfont Arial 20
%%partsbox
%%gchordfont Arial 16
%%staves (1 2)
Q:3/8=110
K:G
V:1
g|b zg a2 g|B2d g3|fgf A2c|e6|d2 ^c d2e|d2c A3|
G2F G2B|e2B d2g|bz g a2g|B2d g3|fgf A2c|e6|d^cd f2e|
d2c A2F|1G3 [GB]3|[G-D-]3 [GD]2:|2G3 [GD]3|[GD]3 D3||GFG E2G| c3e3|
gz e c2e|[dB]3 [dG]3|[cA]2B A2B|c2B c3|ded cBA|GBd g3|GAG E2G|
c3 e2g|c'2g e2g|[=fc]6|=f2e d2c|B2G A2B|[cE]3 [cE]3|[c-E-]3 [cE]2|]
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 02:01:14 PM »

I meant to say thank you, Peter, for transcribing the tune into ABC, but I hit send before I intended to do so. Your transcription will save me a lot of effort and I really appreciate it.

I set myself a target of transcribing all the recordings I have of Sepp Fawcett by Christmas, but these three quadrilles are taking longer than anticipated. I still have one and a half tunes to do, so I might be spending Christmas Day at my computer. Well, there are worse ways to celebrate it!

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 02:17:30 PM »

If you want me to abc all of your transcriptions Bob I'm happy to do so. I can add the missing notes of the second voice in two ways, one way is to write the notes in as they appear in your PDF which will print okay but won't play back as a midi file, the second way is to add all of the rests when the second voice is silent which plays back fine but looks a bit of a mess on paper! Let me know if I can help.
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Pete Dunk

• Typo Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 02:34:41 PM »

Ha! got it and learned something new along the way. Here is the whole thing which both plays and prints correctly.

X:71
T:Sam Fawcett's Quadrille No.1
O:Septimus Fawcett
M:6/8
L:1/8
%%titlefont Helvetica 22
%%subtitlefont Helvetica 16
%%composerfont Helvetica 16
%%wordsfont Helvetica 16
%%partsfont Arial 20
%%partsbox
%%gchordfont Arial 16
%%staves (1 2)
Q:3/8=110
K:G
V:1
g|b zg a2 g|B2d g3|fgf A2c|e6|d2 ^c d2e|d2c A3|
G2F G2B|e2B d2g|bz g a2g|B2d g3|fgf A2c|e6|d^cd f2e|
d2c A2F|1G3 [GB]3|[G-D-]3 [GD]2:|2G3 [GD]3|[GD]3 D3||GFG E2G| c3e3|
gz e c2e|[dB]3 [dG]3|[cA]2B A2B|c2B c3|ded cBA|GBd g3|GAG E2G|
c3 e2g|c'2g e2g|[=fc]6|=f2e d2c|B2G A2B|[cE]3 [cE]3|[c-E-]3 [cE]2|]
V:2
x|x6|x6|x6|z2[aG] [aG]2 a|x6|x6|
x6|x6|x6|x6|x6|z2a a2a|x6|
x6|1x6|x6:|2x6|x6||x6|x6|
x6|x6|x6|x6|x6|x6|x6|
x6|x6|x6|x6|x6|x6|x4|]
Primo (Serenellini) D/G
Isis D/G

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 03:09:38 PM »

Thanks very much, Pete. All I need now is for somebody to identify why the tune sounds familiar. Of course, it may just be that, having had the recording of Septimus Fawcett for quite some time, it has got into my head from there and that there aren't any other versions. Either way, it would be good to know.

Hugh Taylor

• Respected Sage
    • Band web site: http://www.tumblingtom.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 11:53:32 AM »

Sorry Bob but can't help you on this one.
Castagnari Mory D/G, Castagnari Tommy D/G, Saltarelle C/F, Hohner Erika A/D
Tumbling Tom Band

squeezy

• Quick starter (now lagging behind)
  • Hohner Cornelia (mixte D/G/o&s)
    • www.johnspiers.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2017, 07:57:55 PM »

I had a little play with it and it and although it is very much like a lot of 19th Century stuff in its structure and harmony, I don't recognise the tune from elsewhere.

I think from playinig it that the actual tune in bars 4 and 12 is probably going with the long note, and the short notes on the other line are just stabs to emphasise the rhythm as a trumpet might do in a brass band.
Squeezy

Sometimes wrong, sometimes right ... but always certain!

Bob Ellis

• Ain't I cute?
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2017, 09:20:33 AM »

Thanks Hugh and Squeezy. I agree about the tune following the long notes in Bars 4 and 12. The recording demonstrates this quite clearly. I wanted to represent the tune the way Sepp played it, which included those harmonies, but music that is written down doesn't show all that is going on, so it isn't entirely clear from the score which is the tune and which is the harmony.

Since starting this thread, I have transcribed the other two tunes in this set and neither of them is recognisable to me - neither can I find them by typing the first few notes into Folk Tune Finder. Like much else in the repertoire of Sam and Sepp Fawcett, the tunes seem to be unique to them, or perhaps the Fawcetts were the only ones still playing tunes that had once been known more widely.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal