Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: "There's other of our friends, will greet us here anon"  (Read 17845 times)

Chris Brimley

Re: "There's other of our friends, will greet us here anon"
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2009, 10:58:53 AM »

Ah jb, nostalgia isn't what it was! - do you remember dropping all those punchcards on the floor and spending the next few hours putting them back in order, after getting a clip round the ear from your boss?  And then that wonderful seven hole paper tape that overcame the problem?  (Except that if you reused it too much and tore a hole near the end, you had to copy it all again and wipe out the damaged bit?)  Happy days!

Chris Brimley

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »

I wonder if I should run a course 'Basic Computer Skills for the squeezebox player'. lol!

And the other way round, maybe, ladydetemps?  Trying to watching my 17-year son's virtually invisible fingers as he flashes around the computer keyboard, I can't help feeling that if he didn't think of his dad as some kind of complete social misfit for being interested in folk music, he would make an outstanding box player!

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
  • Castagnari Tommy D/G, Hohner 1 row 4 stop in C
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2009, 11:25:29 AM »

I wonder if I should run a course 'Basic Computer Skills for the squeezebox player'. lol!

And the other way round, maybe, ladydetemps?  Trying to watching my 17-year son's virtually invisible fingers as he flashes around the computer keyboard, I can't help feeling that if he didn't think of his dad as some kind of complete social misfit for being interested in folk music, he would make an outstanding box player!

you haven't seen me type....I can type out a response to a post in seconds...maybe that's why I found the 'poor mans streb' quite easy.
Don't worry maybe when he gets past the teenage stage he might take it up. :P

TonyRussellDavis

• Tony Russell Davis (Black Sheep Tone/BLT)
  • Regular debater
  • Mandos'n'guitars'n'boxes'n'pipes'n'stuff.
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2009, 12:02:13 PM »

Seem to have missed this thread until now. I tend to be on the "nice to know who you are" side. Like Chris B, I respect but don't understand the need for anonimity here. I hope to pop over to Whitby, possibly might meet some of you there - do say hello, yes? If you're in my area check out my local pub www.thebuckinn.net for live music events. We have acoustic nights where any kind of music is welcome but we don't get a lot of Brit. folk music for some reason (frailing banjo is the closest) so drop in and play melodeon :||:, if you want backing we can do that. Next one is Bank Holiday Sunday (30th) see ya? Tony.
Call if you're ever in North Yorkshire.

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2009, 12:47:50 PM »

If you're in my area check out my local pub www.thebuckinn.net for live music events. We have acoustic nights where any kind of music is welcome but we don't get a lot of Brit. folk music for some reason (frailing banjo is the closest) so drop in and play melodeon :||:, if you want backing we can do that. Next one is Bank Holiday Sunday (30th) see ya? Tony.
I might just do that, Tony. I live at the other end of Wensleydale, in Gayle, so Thornton Watlass isn't that far. From my experience, British folk tunes are as rare as snakes' legs in Wensleydale. The only thing of which I am aware takes place at the Green Dragon at Hardraw one weekend each year while I am away at Sidmouth.
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2009, 04:46:10 PM »

Just as the generation who wouldn't dream of shutting/locking their outer doors would ask us - why do we lock our doors? I could go into a tirade on society's ills, or the fact our houses are now full of expensive instruments and general clobber... oh, and the insurance industry insists on it...

Some time ago I put a real photo of myself on my profile (admittedly in morris kit and therefore slightly disguised), together with links to the side's website, and also to our band's website. Then I had a fit of paranoia for the above reasons and took them down again. I also posted when I would be at Sidmouth, then removed it for the same reason.
(I had written something here about where I live, but thought the better of it and I've just deleted it!)
It also felt a bit strange when I once googled something or other to do with melodeons, and one of my posts on this forum came up. Makes you realise it's not quite as private as you think.

Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2009, 05:01:03 PM »

Just as the generation who wouldn't dream of shutting/locking their outer doors would ask us - why do we lock our doors? I could go into a tirade on society's ills, or the fact our houses are now full of expensive instruments and general clobber... oh, and the insurance industry insists on it...

It also felt a bit strange when I once googled something or other to do with melodeons, and one of my posts on this forum came up. Makes you realise it's not quite as private as you think.

a similar thing was discussed over the other side
http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9816

as I said there I don't post anything I wouldn't be happy with a complete stranger or worst enemy reading.

mikesamwild

• Melodeon, Button Accordion, Anglo Concertina
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2009, 10:47:40 AM »

Ah jb, nostalgia isn't what it was! - do you remember dropping all those punchcards on the floor and spending the next few hours putting them back in order, after getting a clip round the ear from your boss?  And then that wonderful seven hole paper tape that overcame the problem?  (Except that if you reused it too much and tore a hole near the end, you had to copy it all again and wipe out the damaged bit?)  Happy days!

Aaaarrghhhhh.....!  Wakes up screaming!   That and the clever anal retentives who knew but wouldn't help you out.
Mike in Sheffield

If music be the food of love -who finds the time?

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2009, 10:52:32 AM »

[as far back as I go]
Do you remember when people used floppy discs....before CD burners? :P
Oh and I had a commadore 64 too.

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2009, 01:00:52 PM »

I seem to remember that the issue is not with bona fide members of the forum, but with criminals trawling to find where people who have posted personal details like where one lives, together with details (albeitin another thread) of being at some folk festival or other - so you have stated where you live and when you will not be at home ----  an open invitation to burglars  ...........

Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

HallelujahAl

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2009, 01:10:48 PM »

I seem to remember that the issue is not with bona fide members of the forum, but with criminals trawling to find where people who have posted personal details like where one lives, together with details (albeitin another thread) of being at some folk festival or other - so you have stated where you live and when you will not be at home ----  an open invitation to burglars  ...........

Quite right Lin - and I have to confess that in my line of work I've become a bit of a target. So much so that I now don't even tell my congregation when I'm away on holiday - sad but true.
AL

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2009, 01:23:35 PM »

Lin

Exactly! In fact, I think it was when you made this point in the previous thread that I got worried!
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

ladydetemps

• Emote Wizard
  • Forum Librarian
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »

Lin
...when I'm away at a folkie thing...there's always siblings and their friends at home. Which is why I don't mind mentioning where I'm going..but I still keep my location vague.

Falseknight

• Respected Sage
    • False Knight
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2009, 10:20:39 PM »

I also belong to the "better to be known" brigade.

"Falseknight" is the project name under which most of my musical output (incidentally not all) has been generated over the last thirty years.  It is also the URL of my website (also listed).  Incidentally, my published email is (one of) the direct one(s), not the response link for the band.  There is enough of me littered over the web already that this is not going to make a difference.

juker

• Hohner 2 row G/C and C/F,
    • Julie's Art'nAll
« Reply #54 on: August 17, 2009, 10:30:09 PM »

I am not particularly paranoid about anonymity but am a school teacher and as such am expected, professionally, to keep a low profile on 'social networking sites', and on the net generally.
I don't get 'jigs'

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #55 on: August 18, 2009, 05:07:52 PM »

I'm known by my web name better than my real name..as when I first started on the internet I was a parnoid youth protecting my identity so I had a psudonym...plus my actuall name is so common if someone shouts out Sarah I will probably ignore it they shout Lady D and I know its me. ;)

This is me. I've been ukebert on the net for around 6 years now and it's part of my ?dent?ty. For those that want to know however, I'm Owen, from St Albans and now play?ng, danc?ng and occas?onally study?ng at Cambr?dge.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

HallelujahAl

« Reply #56 on: August 18, 2009, 06:30:20 PM »

Whatever you do Owen don't hand in any essays using that keyboard of yours :D
AL

Andrew

• New Starter
    • clockmakersandrepairs
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2009, 10:02:57 AM »

Just read through this thread, my name is Andrew, I have never really liked the psuedonym idea myself.

I can see the point however, something like Ebay needs a huge number of I.D.'s to work - - - - - -

Re Roger's post and the music at the Buck Inn, Several of us used to go there on a Saturday evening back in the 70's to play Folk Music and listen to Jackie Beresford play his big old accordian till he was too drunk to stand - - - -he was a bad influence on our drinking habits, we thought everybody drank so much and got stuck in ourselves ! ( we would be about twenty-ish at the time )

Jackie had mastered the true drinkers trick/skill of being still able to play even when too drunk to speak, and he could slide down the wall and onto his back on the floor without stopping playing - - -a "proper" musician.

I could go on, but I am starting to wander off-topic, maybe a new thread about great p--- artists who played in pubs might be interesting ? - - - - -I know quite a few more !

Andrew.

Owen Woods

• melodeonmusic.com
    • The website and blog of Owen Woods
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2009, 07:51:55 PM »

Whatever you do Owen don't hand in any essays using that keyboard of yours :D
AL

W?th luck I won't be ?n Istanbul by the start of next term. If I am then something has gone very wrong or very right depend?ng on how you look at it :P

Bes?des, I'm an Eng?neer, we don't often have essays to do. And I always handwrite lab reports.
Bergflodt D/G 4 voice, Saltarelle Bouebe D/G, Super Preciosa D/Em, Hohner Impiliput B/C+C#

Latest blog post: In Any Weather

http://melodeonmusic.com/blog

Mike Higgins

• Respected Sage
    • Strolling to Italy
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2009, 07:59:12 PM »

W?th luck I won't be ?n Istanbul by the start of next term

I would really like to know what sort of keyboard you have!!!
Mike from Ponte Caffaro
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal