Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner Morino N - Club Box  (Read 5989 times)

Willh

• Regular debater
  • Hohner Club IIIM C/F, Hohner Club Morino N
Hohner Morino N - Club Box
« on: January 01, 2018, 07:44:00 PM »

Happy New Year to All!

I'm in initial negotiations with someone about buying a Hohner Morino Club N. The price the seller is offering is €450 (£400).

Is this a good price? From the pictures and description, it looks like a really nice box and even has internal plumbing for plugging it into an amp/soundboard.

Any comments/feedback much appreciated.

Thanks,

Will
Will

Sebastian

Re: Hohner Morino N - Club Box
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »

Is this a good price?
No.

It’s way to low. But that is the case with all Club boxes. The Morino is a top-of-the-line box. Its only problem is its weight. You can hardly get more quality (and more melodeon ;D ) per euro.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 08:09:39 PM by Sebastian »

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:17:46 PM »

Morino Club N has better reeds than Morino Club.
Morino Club S has best reeds, often - Italian
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

george garside

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 09:59:24 PM »

Mark Baseley of the Dartmoor pixies/moor music band plays a morino club ? converted to DG.  Might be something youtubeish of it?

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »

I recently acquired a Morino N in Bb/Eb
It’s in reasonable condition, just needed a couple of reeds cleaning and the register mechanisms adjusting.  Like the one you’re looking at, it has an internal mike but it’s of the old piezo type.

It is a great instrument but not to everyone’s taste. It’s a heavyweight and although you get 5 treble reeds the registers don’t allow you to select 2 M reeds, just a single M or full MMM. But you do get these with any combination of L and H added.

The bass end has 2 couplers, one for the lower octave in the chords ( this also affects the bass notes as the bass button share the chord reeds) and one for the lower octave in the bass notes.  These are very low!

The bass has 12 buttons, the usual 8 in a club layout but then 4 more, unusually, further away from the bellows. These are not pairs, the chords are dominant 7ths for the adjacent notes F7/C7 and C7/G7 on an F/C box. The bass notes are the other missing basses to give an almost chromatic complement of bass notes.

My first attempt at playing it are on last month’s Theme of the Month https://youtu.be/UmcgPfZ_yZE

Mitch
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 08:24:42 PM by Howard Mitchell-Borts (Mitch) »
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »

Thanks to everyone for your input. Particularly Mitch as I was wondering what the other bass buttons mapped to.

So all in all, this would be a good buy, then! Excellent! :)

I really like the club system (I'm not one to de-club), it's just a shame that there aren't any affordable and readily available D/G club boxes out there.

I have a friend who knows Mark Bazeley well, so I'll see if I can contact Mark directly and ask his experience of things.

By the way, when people say it's heavy, how heavy is it? It can't be as heavy as a full-sized 120 bass piano accordion, can it? I consider that heavy.

All the best,

Will
Will

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »

Weight: 7.8 kg.
IMHO If you are sitting when playing - no problem. If standing- it's O.K. for 2-3 pieces.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

george garside

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 10:55:32 AM »

in 'melodeon' terms its heavy but in piano box terms its average(ish) 

morino club S  12 bass 8.2kg, club overture 7.7kg  club norma  6.5kg

gola 120 bass piano 15.6kg,  weltmeister 120 bass 9.7kg

However is weight is not everything  as  'morino' boxes answer to the slightest breath of air  and therefore need relatively little bellows pressure  and also the larger bellwos  compared to the average 'melodeon' means far less bellows movement is required to provide a given amount of compressed air ,or the pull version thereof whatever that called -?sucked air!

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 11:10:29 AM »

Thanks Andrius and George.

That sounds great as far as I'm concerned. I can't see myself standing while playing much (if at all), so hopefully not a problem.

Sounds like it will be a very nice player, too.

Will
Will

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 07:25:06 PM »

Can someone advise whether this fingering chart I found for the Morino Club is accurate?

http://bit.ly/2mdvLaS

In particular it seems to show a D major chord rather than a D minor chord, which is what my Hohner Club IIIm has.

Will
Will

Sebastian

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 07:35:29 PM »

If you buy second hand without trying the box yourself, you always risk to get a box with all sorts of changes to the original layout. I indeed once got a box with a D major chord instead of D minor.  :(

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 08:07:24 PM »

It should be a Dm.
Also, the chords shown on the top row of the diagram should be 7ths. c7 and g7, f7 and c7

As these are all produced by a Stradella-type bass machine it would be difficult to change a single chord.

M
Saltarelle D/G, Hohner D/G, Hohner C/F, Dallape C/F, Hohner A/D, Gaillard G/C, Sagne D, Roland FR18D, Hohner Bb/Eb.

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 05:04:55 PM »

If you buy second hand without trying the box yourself, you always risk to get a box with all sorts of changes to the original layout. I indeed once got a box with a D major chord instead of D minor.  :(

Didn't think about that, but hopefully the Morino I'm getting will be a standard issue instrument. :D
Will

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2018, 11:06:47 AM »

It should be a Dm.
Also, the chords shown on the top row of the diagram should be 7ths. c7 and g7, f7 and c7

As these are all produced by a Stradella-type bass machine it would be difficult to change a single chord.

M

Thanks, Mitch. Good to know.

W
Will

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 05:45:50 PM »

Well, my Morino Club N arrived today.

Wow.

I mean....wow.

What a great sound. I thought my Hohner Club IIIM was good, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Morino N.

And if the Morino S is supposed to be even better, well....double wow. :)

One question, however: What's the lever for on the underside of the right-hand side of the instrument (under the melody buttons). When I shift it back and forth it seems to bring any of the couplers I've selected back out to a neutral position. Is that its function? To put the instrument in a default setting?

If anyone has any favourite club tunes they'd like to point me towards, please feel free.

Many thanks,

Will
Will

howard mitchell

• Respected Sage
    • Howard Mitchell
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:36:12 PM »

Hi Will,

The lever under the keyboard is the master coupler.  It switches on all reeds to give you LMMMH.
The normal couplers give, L, M, H, LM, LH, MH, LMH, MMM, LMMM, MMMH.

Mitch

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2018, 05:30:46 AM »

Hi Will,

The lever under the keyboard is the master coupler.  It switches on all reeds to give you LMMMH.
The normal couplers give, L, M, H, LM, LH, MH, LMH, MMM, LMMM, MMMH.

Mitch

Thanks, Mitch. I appreciate it.

Will
Will

Willh

• Regular debater
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 05:10:45 PM »

Well, I've been having a good time playing my Hohner Club Morino N, but did notice a few notes weren't quite as they should be, so I took it over to Ivor Hyde for an MOT.

He called me today and the news isn't good. :(

Seems at some point someone tried re-tuning it using some sort of burred tool (like you'd put on a drill) and the reeds are in a bit of a state.

Ivor says he doesn't know how long it will take him to put it in good tune (if he can), but I'm going out to see him again on Friday to discuss things further.

Can anyone give me at least a ballpark idea what a possible full re-tune might cost? I'm hoping there won't be a need to replace any of the reeds.

I paid £350 + £80 shipping for it, so if I can get it back up on it's feet for less than £200, I reckon I'm still winning, right? :/

Forgot to mention a few valves will need replacing, too, but hopefully minor and not expensive. I'm still new to these boxes, so have no realistic idea of what repair work costs.

Will
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 05:15:44 PM by Willh »
Will

Sebastian

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2018, 07:29:37 PM »

Valves are not a big problem.

For retuning (and cleansing &c.) of a newly acquired vintage box I always had to pay more than I payed for the box itself. The Morino is a very big box with many reeds and registers. Therefore it could cost you a bit. The Morino has higher quality reeds. This could add to the cost, too. I would like to read Theo’s or Triskel's opinion.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 11:02:34 AM by Sebastian »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2018, 07:39:37 PM »

Best person to ask is Ivor because he has seen the condition of the box.  Anyone else is just guessing.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal