Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Backlit reed troubleshooting & tuning fixture w/ 3D printed body  (Read 1205 times)

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes

I am thinking there will be folks in this community interested in a reed troubleshooting and tuning fixture I have designed and fabricated (pic 1). It is very useful in diagnosing reed rubbing and sticking issues. Picture 2 shows it (front left) along with some of my other basic reed fixtures. The next photo shows it with the LED backlight on.

I designed the body using SolidWorks 3D CAD design software then printed it on a 3D printer. I added both purchased components (flashlight, spring, hardware) and custom machined brass and aluminum parts using traditional metalworking equipment.

It has proven very helpful in seeing exactly where stuck and buzzing reeds are touching the reedplate slot. It allows for holding, viewing, sounding and filing reeds/reedplates all in one tool.

I have put together a brief (rather crude & choppy) video that explains its function better than I can do in text. Link is here: https://youtu.be/Om-_EmoCcwM

Scott

BellingersButtonBoxes.com
too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Re: Backlit reed troubleshooting & tuning fixture w/ 3D printed body
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:21:18 PM »

That's wonderful, clever, and altogether too technical for me. Well done  One day I'd love to visit your shop, it looks fascinating

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

forrest

• Other Places::
  • digits still functioning
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:12:49 AM »

Looks like a very useful tool, Scott! Cheers.... ;)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 09:46:28 PM »

Good idea!
I could have use this jig when adjusting the out of alignment reeds on my project box, I was doing something similar by holding the reed up to a light, but even with glasses on it was tough to see. I probably should have had magnifying glasses.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Psuggmog Volbenz

• Respected Sage
    • musical whimsy
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 08:37:27 AM »

Bravo!
I'm squeezin' and they're wheezin': old junker boxes
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal