Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: chord voicing  (Read 1297 times)

Mike Hirst

• Primatona IV D/D#, Black Dot B/C, One Row in D
chord voicing
« on: January 03, 2018, 11:14:19 AM »

following on from this recent thread:

Permanent removal of thirds on Hohner 8/12 bass..??

I have been wondering if there is a standard method for voicing left hand chords. I'm not talking about reed placement here, but which notes in the chord are higher or lower.

"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: chord voicing
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2018, 11:31:01 AM »

The standard method among most Italian makers is to place all the chord reeds within a compass of one octave, typically from C4 to C5.  This has the effect of making the average pitch of all the chords about the same.  Verde is one maker who does it differently with the chords all having the same inversion, though I can't recall which inversion!   They are also all pitched in the same relation to the bass pitches and this has the effect of making the chords sound different in pitch.   Typically B being the highest and C the lowest.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Mike Hirst

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »

Thanks Theo. That matches with my limited experience. Some twenty years ago I mapped the reed/note layout on the bass end of a Hohner Corona GCF in preparation of for stopping the thirds on two or three chords.

Are you saying then that in most instances, regardless of key, left hand chords are made up using reeds within the range C4-C5?
"Slip like Freudian, your first and last step to playing yourself like an Accordion" - MF DOOM - Madvillain

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »

Are you saying then that in most instances, regardless of key, left hand chords are made up using reeds within the range C4-C5?

In was mistaken in the details

Just checked:

Castagnari Mory DG chord block goes from A3 up to B4

Hohner Erica CF  F#3 to F4
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Malcolm Clapp

• Loving my Hohner-reeded wet MMM CastaTommy
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 01:35:39 PM »

Is it not the case that all Hohner Erica/Pokerwork models, ex-factory, tuned a fifth/fourth* apart, in whatever keys, have chord reeds within that same range? Corona II as well, I think....

*carefully avoiding reopening that discussion...  >:E
Tuner/repairer, now retired, but still playing! Happy to offer advice on repairs etc., and might be persuaded to undertake the odd emergency job for local and longtime  customers. Selling a few melodeons from my collection currently....

Mike Hirst

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 01:47:39 PM »

Is it not the case that all Hohner Erica/Pokerwork models, ex-factory, tuned a fifth/fourth* apart, in whatever keys, have chord reeds within that same range? Corona II as well, I think....

*carefully avoiding reopening that discussion...  >:E

Are you saying that standard Hohner voicings all fall within the range F#3-F4?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 01:54:39 PM by Mike Hirst »

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 02:45:58 PM »

The standard method among most Italian makers is to place all the chord reeds within a compass of one octave, typically from C4 to C5.  This has the effect of making the average pitch of all the chords about the same.  Verde is one maker who does it differently with the chords all having the same inversion, though I can't recall which inversion!   They are also all pitched in the same relation to the bass pitches and this has the effect of making the chords sound different in pitch.   Typically B being the highest and C the lowest.

Over the years I have tested the chord voicing on a variety of instruments and that used by Castagnari seems to be very consistent and also very pleasing to the ear. There are no really high- or really low-pitched notes in the chords. The attached diagram shows the typical chord voicing for a D/G Mory, but also seems applicable for other D/G Castganari instrument too.

Other Italian instruments may have different voicings. E.g. Dino Baffetti B major and E minor chords have 1st inversion and root position chords respectively, with B4 as the highest note in the chord in both cases. To my ears this makes the chords sound a bit on the shrill and harsh side, so I much prefer the Castagnari voicings as shown.

Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal