Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: A/D melodeon  (Read 4608 times)

Maggie

• Regular debater
A/D melodeon
« on: January 07, 2018, 01:41:44 PM »

As a G/C player, I have a lovely choice of tunes to learn and play, but I would like to be able to go to the odd festival or session in the UK and it seems that D/G boxes are popular.  Given that I can already play in G, would a melodeon in A/D be a good choice?  Am I right in thinking that this would transpose my C tunes to D (and G to A) without changing the fingering?

I don’t think I have seen any A/D melodeons for sale, are they available?

My apologies if I am asking silly questions!

Maggie  :|||:
Saltarelle l'elfique 19+2 in G/C - and a wee Hohner Lilliput in D/G

La Creuse, France - the land of calm and of brillant traditional music 🎶

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
Re: A/D melodeon
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:11 PM »

No it is not a silly question and I can see why an AD would be tempting. The only thing is that I think it would limit you in the tunes available to you, not least those that switch key. I play a DG and use both rows in most tunes, whether in they key of D or G (or A even!)
Mike

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 02:11:48 PM »

I've only played one AD melodeon, when DTN came to visit.
It was a Loffet Gret e Breizh and was glorious. Sadly my plot to hang on to it failed and it went back home with him  :(
They are options available from new by various makers, as DTN spec'd this from Loffet.
I have seen second hand ones available, and I think some older Hohners...... not common but also not unheard of.

Sorry cannot help with your transposing question.
Speaking from personal experience, no question seen on here is silly  ;)
Q
who has a habit of asking silly questions  ;D
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 02:13:59 PM »

I agree with Mike, DG is the common choice here for a variety of reasons. AD boxes can be lovely though. I'd ask yourself whether the tunes you already know are at all likely to come up in any sessions you attend. If not, then you might have to bite the bullet and get a DG box and dedicate that box to the session tunes you want to learn.
I would try to get a 2 voice box of good quality rather than think of it as just for occasional use therefore it doesn't matter. And consider whether a 4th button start will allow you to play the tunes that are written with the violin range in mind.
You may have to build one row skills, as I have found GC tunes are often long phrases in one direction rather than rapid bellows changes that English session tunes need.
There was a Nik being sold on this site for a really good price.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 02:18:19 PM by playandteach »
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 02:52:22 PM »

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 04:19:03 PM »

Am I right in thinking that this would transpose my C tunes to D (and G to A) without changing the fingering?

You are absolutely right. And if you will play D/G all your tunes in C will be transposed to G
Only pay attention to get the same system (club/non-club, low notes or acc), the same button start lets to feel more free

G/C is one of the lowest keys; A/D is near to it; D/G is one of highers - really big difference in sound.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 04:44:30 PM »

Certainly most sessions in England are centred around D and G, at least those devoted to "English" music  are, but an A/D box can be a nice change as a second box, its not as "squeaky" as D/G or as "growly as G/C, .... you could acquire one of each, then you would be O.K, for tunes in either key, plus a couple of extra keys, but your problem arises with tunes that modulate from G to D or  the other way round !!... for session playing a G/D is the easiest option unless you feel the desire to go fully chromatic !!
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 05:31:50 PM »

Thank you.  These replies have given me food for thought.  The idea of an A/D is quite attractive, I played a lovely wee D/G melodeon last summer and found it very high pitched, but there are quite a few tunes that do change key.  An A/D/G box might be a good solution, apart from the weight and size - and probably price!

I have seen the ad for the A/D melodeon.  I have really limited experience with melodeons and I have only played one elderly Hohner, but I didn’t like the way the buttons sank through the keyholes.  Are they all like that?

It may well be that I look for an inexpensive D/G melodeon just for learning English/Scottish tunes.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »

Best way is to buy accordion from repairer and to ask for key travel limitation
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

triskel

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2018, 07:17:56 PM »

My impression is that most of them were made for export to the United States - so eBay.com, or American dealers, might be good places to look for one.

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2018, 07:26:05 PM »

Maggie, I know exactly what you mean and understand your dislike of the finger down the hole syndrome. That and the sheer hard work to play always put me off.
Having played a properly fettled one I simply could not believe the difference - fingers didn't disappear and it was so responsive.
I now own two!
Buying one that has been restored and the action sorted makes it a different instrument altogether.
Try one if you are able.....
Cheers
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2018, 08:33:33 PM »

There's an A/D Allesandrini that keeps coming up on Diatoccaz.fr
It's in Lyon, last advertised in March, but it is still possible to see the ad.
I was tempted myself a while back.
350 euros
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2018, 08:48:30 PM »

There's an A/D Allesandrini that keeps coming up on Diatoccaz.fr

Thanks again - I have sent them a message.  M

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2018, 10:17:42 PM »

A two voice DG is indeed a bit high... but the solution is to get a three voice LMM or possibly a LM box in DG, which allows use of the upper part of the keyboard without it sounding squeaky (L=low octave reed, M=middle/standard reed). Be aware though that LM is totally dry and tends not to carry in a session.

Jeremy Burnett

• Regular debater
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:59 AM »

A two voice DG is indeed a bit high... but the solution is to get a three voice LMM or possibly a LM box in DG, which allows use of the upper part of the keyboard without it sounding squeaky (L=low octave reed, M=middle/standard reed). Be aware though that LM is totally dry and tends not to carry in a session.

I have an LM D/G pressed wood Hohner prepared for me by Mike Rowbotham. It certainly cuts out the squeakiness.The sound is an acquired taste , Mike called it "Fabulous". The other members of a band I play in call it ****** Loud.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2018, 11:25:52 AM »

You mentioned A/D/G boxes. Yes, a move up, size-wise, but a three-row fourth-apart box opens up all kinds of possibilities for extreme cross-rowing. ADG and GCF are popular here in Quebec and good players like Gaston Nolet and Frank Sears do quite amazing stuff on them.

invadm

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2018, 12:46:51 PM »

As a G/C player, I have a lovely choice of tunes to learn and play, but I would like to be able to go to the odd festival or session in the UK and it seems that D/G boxes are popular.  Given that I can already

if you are looking for Hohner, I have 2 in AD. red Erica and Poker work both GERMAN made and in 'as new' condition.
and German poker work in DG if you prefer DG  ;)
PM me if you'd like to see and hear them.

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 12:55:20 PM »

Since I got my Hohner Pressed Wood reconditioned by and from Mike Rowbotham it's become my instrument of choice,  despite also owning 2 nice Salterelles. It has 4th button start with 'Anahata scale low notes'. I don't think you need 3 reed banks if you have a sweetly tuned D/G 2 row. I'd recommend such an instrument for anyone wanting to play English type tunes at sessions etc. All our restorers limit button travel and are in my experience helpful and friendly. These Hohners are also much more affordable than most modern continental boxes. Hope this helps. Mcg.

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2018, 03:54:26 PM »

Thank you for all the advice.  I have decided to get myself a D/G box, although they are a bit rare here in France.  I tried a Skype call with one vendor, and although he was really helpful - he pushed, pulled and demonstrated everything that I asked, I am not going to be able to buy a melodeon without playing it myself.

I am thinking of contacting some of the Fettlers and Dealers, perhaps I can plan a shopping trip across the channel.  Meanwhile, I have exercised my brain and fingers by learning the Weavers March in D for posting in the Tune of the Month

xgx

• Bagpipes & Musette Boxes... and Banjos, luv 'em!
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »

Although it's a bit of a hike up to Rennes for you it might be worth talking to Dave Jolly, he's a member here :)
Graham

N Cambs/S Lincs - UK   :|glug + :|glug:|||: = :|bl
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal