Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Custom grill on Hohner Club II BesEs?  (Read 295 times)

jorden

• Good talker
Custom grill on Hohner Club II BesEs?
« on: January 08, 2018, 06:20:18 PM »

Bought a very cheap Hohner Club II for spare reeds/parts, but it turned out to be in better condition that I imagined (and in BesEs!). It has pretty golden bellows tape with flowers in the folds, an adjustable bass-strap & smooth action. It needs new valves and tuning though. Can't really bring myself to scrapping it now :P

Anybody know if the decoration on the front, and the grill with the 'Hohner Boy'-badge are customizations?

jorden

• Good talker
Re: Custom grill on Hohner Club II BesEs?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:23:29 PM »

And some more photo's:

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Never too old to learn
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:04:31 PM »

Don't thinki for a minute that's original. It's screwed on for a start.

SJ
I used to play by ear, but got into dire trouble.
Diarrhoea !

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : Hohner Club II (De-clubbed) D/G : Hagstrom G/C: Hohner Corona IIIR G/C/F :Preciosa Bb/Eb. Hohner 384 1930's Varnished wood G/C: Hohner B/E: Hohner Erika C/F: Bb/Eb Liliput, awaiting restoration.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 07:20:55 PM »

I'd agree, the grille looks  like a home-made replacement and the badge reminds me of some PA models- I'm pretty sure the original would have been metal, the design that immediately pre-dated the current Pokerwork version.  The extra metal tabs on the front abutting the corner pieces look like the fittings off an earlier model with deep bellows frames.  If you like the look, then that's fine!

By the way, the German for the keys is as stamped on the blocks - B/Es.  I suppose that someone working on them wrote the Bes/Es.  It looks like a full reed overhaul is in order.  The valves appear to have been treated with something - almost varnished.  It would help stabilise the tuning if the surface rust were removed from the reed tongues and the wax is brittle, some has already visibly cracked away.  But all in all its appears to be in pretty good nick, just a light overhaul.  These old boxes have a wonderful mellow tone without loss of volume, particularly these lower pitched ones.

Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.