Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: SPECIALLY COMMISSIONED CASTAGNARI  (Read 9376 times)

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
Re: SPECIALLY COMMISSIONED CASTAGNARI
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2017, 10:27:51 AM »

The first production instruments have gone out,here is feed back from 1 new owner.

The Jilly arrived safely yesterday - collected late pm.

Can I give you my thoughts to date, hopefully not sounding pompous or a know-it-all - just that after 40 + years of regular dance band, morris and song and far more melodeons bought and sold than is decent, I've a fair idea of what I like!!

Quite the most beautiful casework I've seen - exquisite detail in the fretwork - it's really 'special' for that alone and sits well with my love of the intricacies of anglo-concertina ends.  I found it a bit heavier than I expected, but better than my beloved Nuage.  Playability is first rate, as you said, from quietly subtle to pretty loud, although the Mike Rowbotham tuning on the Nuage slightly trumps it on overall perceived volume on 2 voices (but it has Binci Professional reeds).  I found its response and air conservation much better than most other Castagnaris I've tried (and owned), it made it easier to play a melodeon test piece I use  (Radstock tune) to check-out whether an instrument and I will 'bond'!!  Like most Castagnaris, it has a clean sound and there's no disparity in the balance between bass and treble and so far I haven't noticed any real difference between the  tonal quality and volume between the D and G rows - no doubt helped by the fretwork on the keyboard and front face. It plays as fast as your fingers (to pinch someone else's sales pitch!) and that's brilliant - a slight touch of the button gives the note, so no missed trills or cross-rows and suddenly I feel a better player, now what more could I ask of my instrument?

So it's a great dance box for my taste - congratulations on a splendid design job and the creation of a 'thing of beauty' which lives up to that promise when played.  Yes, I shall keep it, of course.

Best regards and thanks for your excellent service
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »

I’ve got mine too , I fully concur with this review !
It’s gorgeous to look at, and to play .
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 08:20:09 PM »

I have mine as well, it is just stunning, in every department.
I'm a third vote here, these are seriously good melodeons.
Q
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 09:03:09 AM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 07:47:36 PM »

Thanks guys for the endorsements.

I have models in Cherry and Walnut due next month and available to order,all with black buttons and the special Jilly log,Maple will be next year
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »

More feedback

Hi Pete,
I just wanted to say how pleased I am with the Jilly, it really is quite something!
I thought I’d send you my thoughts which you can use on your website if that’s of any use.

The Jilly.
Having been looking for a 2 voice instrument for a while, I saw a picture of the Jilly on the Melodeon.net website and decided I’d commit to buying it.
I’ve been playing the Jilly for a few days now and am amazed. Though the same size as my 3 voice Hascy it is lighter, as I expected. I was not expecting it to sound the way it does.
It has a crispness and precision to the sound I was quite unprepared for. I can play every note with expression,  giving me the ability to play passages with light, dark, loud or soft touches. There is a crispness to the sound without it being harsh and it can be played in a whisper or loudly according to your choice.
The casework is immaculate, stunning in Maple with black furniture, just classic Castagnari loveliness.
The keyboard action is light and responsive to the slightest of touches, it just flies!
All in all this is a stunning melodeon, and congratulations to Pete at Acorn for creating his vision.

These are my thoughts, please feel free to use anything that you feel is of use.
Um….. I think I like it J

Best wishes

pikey

• Addicted to squeezeboxes since 1975
  • Thread mod
  • If it moves, I'll squeeze it....
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 07:04:06 PM »

Here’s a video of me playing mine !

I second all other comments about the box .
It’s so good it made me buy a Castagnari  ;)

And it reminds me of the lovely lady that it’s named after .

https://youtu.be/HBrtO02R-Wo
Still squeezing after all these years.
Mostly on hohners , with a couple of Dinos and a smattering of anglos - and now a Jeffries duet

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2017, 12:08:20 PM »

Here's my Soundcloud upload.
https://soundcloud.com/thrupenny-bit/the-lichfield-tattoo-the-quickstep-from-the-battle-of-prague-1

My two favourite English 'rumpty' tunes of the moment, played on my Jilly.
Another blond like Pikeys', and very nice it is too  (:)
cheers
Q
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 05:31:23 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2017, 04:58:43 PM »

I think there is a problem with mic positioning,The Jilly doesn't clack like a Hohner

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2017, 05:13:42 PM »

I think there is a problem with mic positioning,The Jilly doesn't clack like a Hohner

Or sound as if it is wrapped in a blanket   ;)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2017, 05:36:23 PM »

OK... I got it wrong!
I have changed the link to a new recording where I've positioned myself not as close to the recording device.
It's an Olympus recorder and really sensitive....unlike it's owner, who should have picked that up.
Apologies to Pete as it wasn't a true reflection of what is a lovely melodeon.

Hopefully my new recording will be a bit more representative.
https://soundcloud.com/thrupenny-bit/the-lichfield-tattoo-the-quickstep-from-the-battle-of-prague-1
cheers
Q
blushing......
Thrupenny Bit

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »

OK... I got it wrong!
I have changed the link to a new recording where I've positioned myself not as close to the recording device.
It's an Olympus recorder and really sensitive....unlike it's owner, who should have picked that up.
Apologies to Pete as it wasn't a true reflection of what is a lovely melodeon.

Hopefully my new recording will be a bit more representative.
cheers
Q
blushing......

That's better  (:)

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2017, 05:46:22 PM »

thanks Lester and again apologies to Pete.
I simply never realised you could get too close, or conversely how distance affected a recording beyond volume.
Listening to my previous recordings, I wish someone had told me  :|bl
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Michael Driscoll

• Regular debater
« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »

Here’s a video of me playing mine !

Great sound & nice easy style of playing - wonder how it would sound on b/c.

https://youtu.be/HBrtO02R-Wo

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2018, 10:33:24 AM »

QUICK UPDATE>
The Jilly is now not just in Maple,I have in stock in Cherry and Padouk.More Maple models coming in April.

Pete
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal