Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mushroom bass buttons.  (Read 913 times)

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
Mushroom bass buttons.
« on: January 11, 2018, 06:11:09 PM »

I am having problems in removing these bass buttons. I want to have a go at bushing them, and/or replacing the felt washers that fit under the head of the button.

Sir John
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Mushroom bass buttons.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:16:28 PM »

Is this on a Hohner? If so it is best to split the mechanism where it hinges using a bent nail as the pivot. Straighten the nail and push it out, the button and button rod will then come out through the front of the casework. Be sure to mark the rods with their position as they are all subtly different. When putting back together use new hinge pins, I use some veneer pins I got from ScrewFix.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 07:55:49 PM »

Is this on a Hohner? If so it is best to split the mechanism where it hinges using a bent nail as the pivot. Straighten the nail and push it out, the button and button rod will then come out through the front of the casework. Be sure to mark the rods with their position as they are all subtly different. When putting back together use new hinge pins, I use some veneer pins I got from ScrewFix.

An alternative to veneer pins is Hornby Model Railway Track Pins, obtainable for very little online, or at model shops and some toy shops that sell model railway supplies.
If you want to remove the buttons I have found that holding the bit of a soldering iron against the rod softens the plastic enough to wriggle the buttons of, but be careful not to overheat or actually burn the buttons if you intend to re-use them.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:47 PM »

An alternative to veneer pins is Hornby Model Railway Track Pins, obtainable for very little online, or at model shops and some toy shops that sell model railway supplies.
I bought some track pins off eBay, but they did come in a bag with the Hornby logo, and they were just too fat.

malcolmbebb

• In dampest Dorset, on the soggy south coast.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 08:38:19 PM »

I bought some Hornby pins, and they are spot on. Bought some veneer pins and they were too hard.

Hornby R207, 10mm.
Dino BPII.
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal