Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Love for the C/F ?  (Read 5248 times)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Re: No Love for the C/F ?
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 10:32:26 PM »

Another C/F man here. My first melodeon was a german C/F Erica and I still like its mellow sound. Good for our Aussie tune sessions in C, and more useful than a D/G when playing french or jazzy stuff with Bb instruments like a clarinet, tenor sax or trumpet.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 10:38:26 PM »

My love is low register boxes but it just happened that I own really too much CF accordions.
Now i have 2 G/C, 5 A/D, 5 Bb/Eb, 10 C/F and 1 D/G, also 2 F/Bb/Eb and 3 G/C/F
My first diatonic is red Erica C/F too - it is so nice that i can not change pitch of it. The same about Club III BS "new style" - another amazing instrument in C/F.
Three other boxes are too nice and too old, so they will remain in C/F - they are 2 row 12 bass Koch ("shutzmarke"), Koch/Hohner "Polish-Russian style accordion" and pre-war Basilea Stradella Scandalli (2.2 row). Hohner Victoria C/F will be for my sun, he is playing Galotta (smaller than Liliput) C/F now. Few other C/F boxes are for changing pitch (Erika 2.4 row, Club III B S "old style", Club III 2.7 row wooden body).
I play the same music on all boxes. What keys to choose - it depends on whether I will play alone or with others, and on the instruments available from my friends. And on my feeling too.  :||:
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2018, 01:45:14 AM »

C/F over here too got 4 Club system (liliput, IV, Erika, Viktoria) I like them a lot. ( a 5th would be listing my pre corona in C/F/B but his one has a different tone to it some reeds need work too but regardless complements the CF family.
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »

Brittany's Frédéric "Gazman" Lambierge plays a CF three row and astonished me with some truly cool stuff at St Chartier a few years back.  But he played it in G or D!

C/F is fine for traditional folk played in those keys, but offers natural b7, and b9 notes on main rows, played on the pull in more mainstream keys. As Theo points out, Gm and Dm also lie well, opening up all the "major into minor" blues stuff.

The "built in" cross row blues scale is a session friendly E. You can even play with guitars! This is all on just 2 rows. The basses will usually be wrong though, so 12/18 bass is a boon.

Pignol/Milleret play modified 18 bass F/C/accs kit with a C# on the F row (= D harmonic minor) and a lot, a great lot, of their performance stuff is in D.  Be that D major, lydian, minor, blues … 
  _       _    _      _ 

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 11:37:33 AM »

My experience is that many people who play predominantly D/G in sessions will also have a C/F in their armoury...certainly, as has been said, if they want to throw in a song or two.

Mine's a Hohner blonde Pressedwood, bought from a German fleamarket after a somewhat surreal conversation with the stallholder some 30 years ago

Overhauled by Microbot last year...she's lovely
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:50 PM »

My experience is that many people who play predominantly D/G in sessions will also have a C/F in their armoury....

Yes, D/G is my main thing because of morris and sessions but there are a couple of lovely C/F Preciosas lurking around the house. They really don't get played often enough, but when they do... lovely  :|||:
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2018, 01:05:11 PM »

For whatever reason, many of the melodeon voices on my Streb sound best (to me) in C/F.  Not too high, not too low.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2018, 09:04:09 PM »

For whatever reason, many of the melodeon voices on my Streb sound best (to me) in C/F.  Not too high, not too low.

Perhaps that’s what the box was build for?
I do get very good volume on my two voice Pre Corona regardless of what tuned reeds I throw in it. I’ve yet to try this on the on Pre Corso (3voice) but I’m sure those where made swappable by design as well.
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

george garside

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2018, 10:03:37 PM »

D & G seems to be the order of the day for sessions inhabited by melodeonists.   but I agree that  both C and F have a very nice sound to them as indeed does A and E.  Its a pity that more double rays were not made with 12 bass  as it may well be the lack of being to drive able to drive a bass rhythm  that  keeps many ~English session  players away from the  8 bass so called ( by some 'Irish boxes')  .A BC box will be quite happy playing English, Scottish or whatever in  fcgdae .  I started way back on a double ray ( as did John Kirkpatrick) because I don't think DG  boxes had been invented or perhaps they were very rare. 

I have never seen them as 'Irish' boxes and  never gone in much for playing irish trad music thereon!.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 06:26:56 PM »

I love the tonal range of CF boxes, just listen to Fred Paris albums. On my GCF, I especially like to play in Dm on the CF rows with the LM reeds. Cheers, Andy

melodeon

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 11:15:23 PM »

FP played G/C and C/F Castagnari Hascys and they were superb.. and much older. I have a few of his CDs.

The new Hascy's have more options on the treble switching but not the character of the older ones.
I owned a very fine D/G around 2011.. regret the sale.

CF still intrigues me but seems more of a complement to D/G than G/C

Conclusion.. must have a GCF !  and an ADG !

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 11:39:49 PM »

For my sins I play for a Border Morris side. The fiddle players and banjo player like to play familiar tunes but in Dm because it sounds “moodier”. So, a C/F box is invaluable. Bit of a challenge sight reading music when one is used to D/G, but it does with practice.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2018, 01:03:13 AM »

FP played G/C and C/F Castagnari Hascys and they were superb.. and much older. I have a few of his CDs.

The new Hascy's have more options on the treble switching but not the character of the older ones. ...

Hmm... Have to disagree with you on that one Jeff. Having worked on a couple of the old-style Hascys and owned two of the 'new' Hascys with the very versatile grille switches, I have to say that the new ones are every bit as good as the old style instruments, and then some. The Voci Armoniche TAM reeds are as good as you could wish for, giving the instruments a flexible sound from smooth and creamy to robust and solid; definitely full of character. I would say that the new Hascys are probably one of the very best two-row, three-voice, instruments Castagnari have produced. The two instruments mentioned are now regularly played by two other forum members and I know they are delighted with them.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

melodeon

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2018, 08:33:06 PM »

Steve.. character meaning "aura", "presentation",  "vibe", etc.. I just like the older, non "C" button and older script and window boxes.  Same goes for the Mory with the old "rainbow"/ "fan" grille. New one looks too lazered/CNCd for my taste.   

My 2011 Hascy D/G with the new switching was a superb machine , and have posted before it was one of the best Castagnaris I have ever owned ( of, I believe, 11 or 12)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:50:27 PM by melodeon »

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 08:47:08 PM »

I have a four year old new style Hascy D/G at £2050, for sale here: www.melodeons.com
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

melodeon

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 10:06:30 PM »

What's the nut width ?   : )

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 10:47:02 PM »

What's the nut width ?   : )

A foot yard and a thick wide ..........
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal