Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Taking a break - hope to be back sometime  (Read 3701 times)

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
Taking a break - hope to be back sometime
« on: January 18, 2018, 06:44:54 PM »

After developing tinnitus I have found that the high overtones of melodeon playing really make it unpleasant. Whilst really missing playing I can't see the solution. I've tried ear plugs, but that seems pointless as I don't get the enjoyment.
I've decided to take a break from playing and also visiting this site for a while as it just reminds me what I'm missing.
I've had setbacks in the past and found ways past them, so I'm not giving up hope, just taking a break.
I'll be checking in for the next week or so, then stepping back for a bit.
Hope to pick up with you again sometime in the future. Thanks for a great community for the last few years.
Pete
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

arty

Re: Taking a break - hope to be back sometime
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 08:08:35 PM »

So sorry to hear this Pete. I and many others, I would think, will miss your presence here - I have learnt an awful lot from you. I know nothing about tinnitus, except that it can make life very difficult - too many years sitting in front of the brass section maybe? I only hope it goes as quickly as it has come.
Take care and stay positive, hopefully something can be done to help you very soon.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 08:46:43 PM »

Oh dear, tinnitus, I hope it recovers soon. 
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 09:43:12 PM »

Hi Pete,

I've had tinnitus for years and funnily enough I find relaxed concentration when playing music can be a good way to divert my attention from the 'noise' my brain thinks its hearing. Perhaps losing my high frequencies as I age has been a blessing.

Yoga or other relaxation/meditation works for me. As I type this I'm aware of the screaming sound in my ears, but I know it will dissipate when I focus my attention elsewhere.

If its any consolation, your posts on melnet have been really informative, and some of your compositions for our instrument are ground-breaking.

All the best, Ian

Grape Ape

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:07:38 PM »

Pete this breaks my heart.  I too have really enjoyed “getting to know you” through this forum, and the wisdom and expertise and the resources that you bring to it.  I hope this resolves itself soon, I truly enjoy your playing as well as all of the aforementioned- you will be missed.

Maggie

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 10:21:14 PM »

Pete - I really hope your tinnitus improves and you will be able to return to your melodeon playing and to this forum.

Your comments have always been positive and encouraging - I will miss you!

With very best wishes, Maggie  :|||:
Saltarelle l'elfique 19+2 in G/C - and a wee Hohner Lilliput in D/G

La Creuse, France - the land of calm and of brillant traditional music 🎶

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:46:40 PM »

Hi Pete,

I've had tinnitus for years, and last year developed a very nasty problem in my right ear which left me very sensitive to loud noises. I thought I would have to give up playing music completely-which was devastating.

However, this sorted itself after a very short layoff, and a gentle reintroduction to the box showed that everything is fine and I'm back to playing gigs again...I hope you'll have the same experience...it can happen.

All the best,
Guy

« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:49:35 PM by Guy »
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 08:07:39 AM »

Hi Pete,
you have always been a great addition to the community, and I too have greatly enjoyed and respected your inputs. I always considered them valuable as only someone with your musical background can provide.
I do hope your tinnitus problem can be resolved one way or the other.
Take care.
best wishes
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 08:18:49 AM »

Sorry to learn about your tinnitus, Pete.

I completely concur with what others have said, we all hope it resolves itself very quickly and you can get back to playing. Your contributions on this forum are most valuable and full of insight gained especially from your career as a professional orchestral musician. I, for one, will miss your posts if you decide to leave, but I sincerely hope it won't come to that.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 08:30:54 AM »

I should think that it goes without saying, that every reader of this forum will echo these posts, which come with our very best wishes for you.

At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

fc diato

• Regular debater
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »

Oh nooooo!  So sorry to hear this.
Know that your generosity (advice, transcriptions, tips, musings etc) has helped even some of those - like me - who tend to sit on the sidelines of the forum. It is not unusual for me to hit a roadblock, and ask myself 'hmmm. maybe I should ask P&T..."  Then, when composing the query to the forum (secretly to P&T) I can figure it out through some of your older posts.   
All the very best, in hopes that things resolve to the best possible outcome for you, quickly!
fc diato

Scobarandbar

• Good talker
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 08:00:40 PM »

Can I personally thank you for everything you have done for on this forum.  Your openness and the way you are so humble is a rare and admirable quality.

Take care and get well soon.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 08:02:55 PM by Scobarandbar »

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 08:17:11 PM »

Pete

It might not be straightforward tinnitus which can sometimes be masked by music.  There is another process where some hearing loss in only one ear leads to an effect that sounds like a very unpleasant resonance within the ear.  It's not actually resonance, but an artifact of the auditory system trying to compensate for the change.   If you are consulting an audiologist it might be worth putting that idea into the discussion.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »

Hope you get sorted and back on here!  Might be an idea to take a melodeon with you to any consultation with an audiologist  as I presume it is only the box and not your other instruments that are causing  the problems.

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 01:09:15 AM »

Take care of yourself Pete and hopefully you'll be back with us soon!!
We'll miss your musical wisdom and kind nature in the meantime!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

gettabettabox

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 01:37:01 AM »

As a tinnitus sufferer myself, albeit mild and knowing others, including musicians, I hope you might consider visiting here again, if only to let us know of your progress?
Best wishes gettabettabox and earplugs.

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2018, 10:18:57 PM »

Sorry to hear the news. You’ll be missed...but welcomed back if you can find a way through this, got some tinnitus myself but thankful it doesn’t stop me playing. 
Best wishes
Mike

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2018, 12:16:00 AM »

I’m sure you did your homework but it sounds like quitting caffeine would be more lógica decisión but you know your health better than I do ...

I didn’t know what your condition was so I found some info here: https://www.healthyhearing.com/help/tinnitus/relief
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal