Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner pre-Corso  (Read 6057 times)

Pearse Rossa

Hohner pre-Corso
« on: January 19, 2018, 02:19:16 AM »

Can anyone tell me what the weight and dimensions of the pre-Corso are?
Is it more bulky than the Corso, or is it more streamlined?
What other similar 3-voice, 2 row, 8 bass Hohner models are there?

triskel

Re: Hohner pre-Corso
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 04:05:21 AM »

Can anyone tell me what the weight and dimensions of the pre-Corso are?

7 1/4" x 12" according to early 1950s catalogues, but no weight is given.

Is it more bulky than the Corso, or is it more streamlined?

The Corso is more streamlined, but very slightly bigger at 7 1/2" x 12 1/4".

What other similar 3-voice, 2 row, 8 bass Hohner models are there?

There were large 1600 DeLuxe 3-voice models being made in the 1930s/early '40s, but they don't seem to have been widely available or listed in catalogues - maybe they were made only for export to Britain and Ireland? But there were smaller 3-voice models being built in the same bodies as the 2-voice ones.

The only listing I can find at the moment is in a mid-1930's Hohner Irish catalogue (though they renumbered everything in that, instead of using Hohner's numbers) that describes "Double-Ray Black . Dot" models in 2-voice £4 15 0, (2-voice sized) 3-voice £6 10 0, and larger "DE LUKE" (sic, I kid you not!) 3-voice £9 0 0.

Whilst back in 1929-30 (in the wonderfully wide-ranging Catalogue No. 700) they listed larger 3-voice models, Nos. 374 and 284, in 7 1/8" x 11 3/4" size.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 05:13:55 AM »

The only listing I can find at the moment is in a mid-1930's Hohner Irish catalogue (though they renumbered everything in that, instead of using Hohner's numbers) that describes "Double-Ray Black . Dot" models in 2-voice £4 15 0, (2-voice sized) 3-voice £6 10 0, and larger "DE LUKE" (sic, I kid you not!) 3-voice

Thanks for the reply.

The 3-voice Double-Ray in a 2-voice sized body sounds like an interesting box.
Would that be the same size as an Erica?
Those are not common at all I would guess? I have heard of the model, but I have never seen one.
I did own a Deluxe, which is basically the same as the Corso and a bit unwieldy.
Something in size between the Corso and Erica would be ideal. Is there such a model I wonder?

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 05:35:13 AM »

Something in size between the Corso and Erica would be ideal. Is there such a model I wonder?

Actually, I've just remembered playing a box owned by Brendan Begley some years ago.
It's his Hohner DD#. I can't remember what the model is. I don't think it's a pre-Corso, but I could be wrong.
If I remember correctly, it was slimmer than a Corso and I am almost certain it was a 3-voice.
Any idea what that one is?

triskel

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 05:45:09 AM »

The 3-voice Double-Ray in a 2-voice sized body sounds like an interesting box.
Would that be the same size as an Erica?
Those are not common at all I would guess? I have heard of the model, but I have never seen one.

Yes, 6" x 11" like an Erica or Pokerwork, only I'd reckon I've seen more 3-voice 3515s in C/C# than B/C Black Dot ones.

I did own a Deluxe, which is basically the same as the Corso and a bit unwieldy.

I've never seen, nor heard of, one between the Corso and the Erica, but the large De Luxe ones do develop a fuller sound than the smaller models.

triskel

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 05:50:37 AM »

Actually, I've just remembered playing a box owned by Brendan Begley some years ago.
It's his Hohner DD#. I can't remember what the model is. I don't think it's a pre-Corso, but I could be wrong.
If I remember correctly, it was slimmer than a Corso and I am almost certain it was a 3-voice.
Any idea what that one is?

I've seen (sometimes played) most of Brendan's boxes over the years, but I've no idea what that one might be...

triskel

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2018, 05:57:44 AM »

I've seen (sometimes played) most of Brendan's boxes over the years, but I've no idea what that one might be...

He does have a 1600 De Luxe ("pre-Corso") in D/D# though...

Brendan Begley on Accordion

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 06:09:49 AM »

That's it! I watched that video only a couple of weeks ago last.
I didn't make the connection.
That is a lovely box to play, and much neater than a Corso, to my mind anyway.

triskel

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2018, 06:12:58 AM »

Maybe it's all the playing he's given it?

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2018, 06:14:34 AM »

Is that the original key would you say? I know the Corso certainly came in D/D#.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 06:17:43 AM »

Maybe it's all the playing he's given it?

It doesn't have a stiff bellows and that's for sure!

triskel

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2018, 06:52:54 AM »

Is that the original key would you say? I know the Corso certainly came in D/D#.

I'd have to look at the bottom of the keyboard to tell you that, but D/D# sounds possible, whilst C#/D would be highly doubtful...

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2018, 07:20:06 AM »

So you have:

pre-Corso; 7 1/4" x 12" according to early 1950s catalogues.
The Corso; very slightly bigger at 7 1/2" x 12 1/4".
This one; There were large 1600 DeLuxe 3-voice models being made in the 1930s/early '40s... Brendan Begley model?
This one; smaller 3-voice models being built in the same bodies as the 2-voice ones..
These ones; larger 3-voice models, Nos. 374 and 284, in 7 1/8" x 11 3/4" size..
The Double-Ray Deluxe.

Have I got that correct?

Not necessarily in chronological order...just trying to get a handle on the different models.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:40:37 AM by Pearse Rossa »

pgroff

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2018, 12:59:39 PM »

Hi all,

I can weigh some of these 3 voice, 2 row Hohner boxes, made from the 1930s - 1950s before the fully rounded "Corso" model, over the weekend & supply more measurements if any more are needed.There were a few variations among them.  Some have 12 basses, some have 23 melody buttons. One feature that seems typical is a sharp left side rear corner that many players find uncomfortable on the left wrist. The grey pearl-button 1930s "pre DR deluxes" are rounded there.

PG

pgroff

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »

Here's one of the most typical "Pre-Corso" models (but with a retailer's label from the Italian Accordion Manufacturing Co. in Chicago; shown on left) paired with a similar Pre-Corso that was modified in New York in the 1950s (on right).

The "Irish American Hohner Pre-Corso" on the right in that photo has had the keyboard plate engraved, and had the bass buttons modified / blocked from 8 to 4. Unfortunately when I got it the reedblocks were gone - I suspect it had been later set up for a kid ( or non-playing adult ) to use in marching (in other words, for show but silent imitation of playing). But I think when first modified, it probably was playable with reedblocks converted to D/C# and 4 basses.

There were Irish Accordion marching bands at the time, some of which used these Pre-Corsos. The second photo is shared here courtesy of my friend the historian, box player, and collector Hugh O'Rourke who wrote a nice article about the AOH all-accordion band, discussed here:

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,11164.msg138388.html#msg138388

In that second photo, the Walters player in the right foreground is P. J. Conway, and box player Terry Winch now owns and plays that Walters.

PG
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:06:59 PM by pgroff »

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »

I can weigh some of these 3 voice, 2 row Hohner boxes, made from the 1930s - 1950s ....

Hi Paul. Any additional information, such as weight and dimensions of the various models would be very useful.
Thanks.

pgroff

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 01:44:43 PM »

Here's basically the same purple-grey "Pre-Corso" as shown above, but made up in the factory as a BC black dot "Pre-Double Ray Deluxe."  I've also seen a very similar BC model in black with a black celluloid keyboard.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:49:42 PM by pgroff »

pgroff

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2018, 01:48:42 PM »

Here are two lovely examples (thanks, Theo Gibb!) of the "fancy" 1930s 3 voice BC, with real pearl buttons and a rounded left rear corner to the casework. This model has also been seen with a 23 button melody keyboard. There was also a much larger 4-voice version of this fancy pearl-button model, but that's off-topic for this thread.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:08:28 PM by pgroff »

pgroff

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2018, 01:54:33 PM »

Here's the much smaller 1930s Hohner 3 voice BC built into a case the size of a pokerwork. Bellows unoriginal on this example, which (last I heard) is owned by Billy McComiskey.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 01:57:18 PM by pgroff »

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2018, 02:14:39 PM »

That last one, the "much smaller 1930s Hohner 3 voice BC built into a case the size of a pokerwork",
looks very similar to the 1930s model that triskel has described elsewhere as model No. 3515.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal