Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hohner pre-Corso  (Read 6055 times)

pgroff

Re: Hohner pre-Corso
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 02:17:02 PM »

I think David Munnelly has one of those small 3 voice "pokerwork sized" Hohners with the metal keyboard plate, and he wrote me that he also has a similar model in 2 voices.  Triskel has pointed out that the 3 voice ones (of this small-bodied typed) seem always to have the small diameter bass buttons, not the "mushroom" type of bass buttons  seen on similar 2 voice Hohner 1930s models that also that metal keyboard plate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bEnEOSHI8g
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 02:26:30 PM by pgroff »

pgroff

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 02:25:24 PM »

I can weigh some of these 3 voice, 2 row Hohner boxes, made from the 1930s - 1950s ....

Hi Paul. Any additional information, such as weight and dimensions of the various models would be very useful.
Thanks.

Will do when I get a chance. My teaching term has started with nearly 300 students so it may be a few days. . . And most of these 3 voice boxes that I've seen have gone on to other owners, but I have a couple still.  BTW, one difference in the "original weight" between different examples of these 3 voice models will be due to zinc-plate reeds in some, vs. aluminum plate reeds in others.

Those differences might not be relevant to someone who's buying a C/F or C/G or A/D pre-Corso for re-reeding to other keys.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 01:27:19 PM by pgroff »

triskel

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 03:29:51 PM »

That last one, the "much smaller 1930s Hohner 3 voice BC built into a case the size of a pokerwork",
looks very similar to the 1930s model that triskel has described elsewhere as model No. 3515.

Yes, the earliest Double-Rays were basically No. 3515s in B/C, with the black button in the middle of the B row, and (usually) a black keyboard plate, not forgetting Double-Ray markings (of course!)

But they seem to have soon changed to the more basic (and cheaper) all-wooden keyboards. :(

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2018, 04:00:45 AM »

My Pre Corso just hit the scale 9.5lbs or 4.3 kilo.
That includes the old school double leather straps skinny worn out that came with it...

I got 3 corso boxes I gotta say the pre Corso just feels lighter but I like them both. (Loud) :|||:

It really feels light as a feather but I been playing some 16 bass boxes recently those are a workout.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:04:37 AM by MarioP »
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2018, 04:10:20 AM »

Any chance of some photos?

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2018, 04:27:23 AM »

I posted my c/c# pre Corso pics here is the eBay link hope is still up

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-1930-40s-Steel-Reeds-Hohner-2-Row-Button-Accordion-Art-Deco/362184122997?hash=item5453db2275:g:-cwAAOSw0A9aLuNE

I’ve done little dusting and internally was clean as a whistle so check it out.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2018, 04:32:09 AM »

Yes, I remember seeing that one. Nice looking instrument.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 04:37:24 AM »

If you can get your hands on one of those do so!

You won’t regret it! Air tight holds air better than my Corso but none of my corsos ever came in the original carrying case like this one did. the carrying case helps them preserve a lot from dust and air as well as weather that can be poison to this boxes.

RusselS

« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 06:52:49 AM »

Hi does anyone have any thoughts on the MMM tuning of the pre-corso Brendan Begley is playing on the youtube clip above (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2XjpuqtyA)
Any info much appreciated.

tirpous

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2019, 05:44:53 PM »

Hi does anyone have any thoughts on the MMM tuning of the pre-corso Brendan Begley is playing on the youtube clip above (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv2XjpuqtyA)
Any info much appreciated.

Great sound !  To my ear it is drier than many recent Corsos that are so wet and strident they tend to make me want to cry.  Hard to say for sure - that kitchen seems to be quite reverby ...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal