Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Farfisa - the missing link?  (Read 3415 times)

triskel

Re: Farfisa - the missing link?
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2018, 01:06:38 PM »

When I buy boxes I like to figure out where it come from and who owned it. Probably going to put some labels in my boxes about them (removable of course)
... when I bought my latest Hohner 114, the seller gave me quite a bit of history about her granny who had owned it. I told her that I intended to have a very small plaque engraved with the bare details of her and the melodeon and fasten it inside, for future owners to ponder.

I've a pair of 114s, a G and a C, that formerly belonged to Ruth Askew, which I've written the details inside (the C is the one in her book that she picked out and purchased for her friend Cecil Clack in 1993). And a PA that should have been a stair carpet, ditto:

;D I'm reminded of a late 1940s "120-bass stair carpet" that's now in my possession.  ::)

It's a Hagstrom PA that belonged to the brother of our next-door neighbour (when I was a child) in Burton-on-Trent, a man called George Stiff who was a Midlands Champion player.

When he got married, after the War, everything was in short supply, but he needed a new accordion and (since nobody could get a Board of Trade license to import them) the only ones available at the time were made by Hagstrom in Darlington (who'd found it easier to export an accordion factory to England, than accordions - which is why the first D/Gs finished up being made by them). So using the money his father had given the newlyweds "for a new stair carpet", he and his brother took a trip down to London (the only place they were available) and bought the new PA instead.

Mind you, it got great use in the local accordion club band, and in a trio (with another PA and a drummer) that played for dances in halls all around the Burton area for many years.

His widow very kindly gave it to me six years ago, and it's the only PA I've got, but of great interest to me on several levels, including that my friend Nils Nielsen first came to England as a young factory-trained tuner with Hagstrom's at the time.

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2018, 01:06:55 AM »

the "crochet hooks" as I call them (because that's the shape of them) below the buttons to provide a "stop" to them,

My 'crochet hooks' have a small piece of rubber tube pushed on them to prevent clacking. See photo's

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale

Pearse Rossa

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 01:32:25 AM »

That makes sense and it's clever too.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal