Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi-part tune books  (Read 2041 times)

Tony Smith

Multi-part tune books
« on: January 21, 2018, 10:45:12 PM »

Hi all. (And apologies if this should be in a different section)

Having been playing for a couple of years, I am building up a stock of tunes and doing some experimenting with bass variations.  All great fun.  As a result of Shrewsbury FF, I started doing some of the Tuneworks book.  Some months ago, a friend began playing the Mandolin and we started meeting monthly to play Tuneworks tunes.  Word got around and we now feature a group with recorders, clarinet, flute, cello and the threat of a piano accordion to join us in Feb.  We are really enjoying the thrill of playing together.

Now, we are trying to be folk musicians and clearly the next stage would be to improvise variations around the tune - developing harmony and moving away from unison.  But the reality is we don’t have the capabilities with most of the group playing from the dots. 

So my question....can we cheat?  Does anyone know of any folk tune collections/tune books (in D/G) with some written harmonies - two, three or four parts  - that would allow the group to make a richer sound.  The only one i know is Ed Rennie’s excellent Bass Book which has some two part (plus bass) melodeon ensemble tunes - but these are all Christmas tunes so we have to wait a bit!

Any advice welcome.

Tony

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Multi-part tune books
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 10:51:10 PM »

There are several in the series “Airs for pairs” by Matt Seatle.  Widely available.  I’m sure there are many more.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 02:09:04 AM »

Look out for Dave Townsend's 'Village Band' tunebook series (has several volumes). There are tunes with harmonies in 2, 3 and 4 parts. Sorry can't find a suitable link just now, but Google is your friend.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Mike Carney

• In sunny Sheffield
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 08:26:57 AM »

Very interesting. I know you are looking for existing collections...but one thought is that with the energy and differing abilities in the group, you might be able to find one person who can come up with a harmony line, and one person  who can write it into a notation programme so you can all play it...
Then you could make your own interpretations one at a time and enjoy sharing these.
M

arty

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 09:23:21 AM »

About 6 months ago, I was looking for music in two parts, to play with a concertina friend. After enquiring here..... http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,21046.msg252784.html#msg252784 .....I had a few suggestions, which were very interesting and helpful. Hopefully, some of those will help you too.

You could also look through Anahata’s YouTube channel, where he has a few tunes played with his partner Mary. He, very generously, provides links to the sheet music.

Also, if you can get hold of a hymn book, with music printed for organ / choir, you will have the bass, tenor, alto and soprano parts, which works well. Some hymns were originally folk tunes, e.g. Bunyan’s Hymn, (John Renbourne, the guitarist, used to play a wonderful version of this).

I am different to you, in that I play a G/C, therefore most of the tunes we are playing are French and would sound very squeaky on a D/G. But I wish you luck in your search - playing in parts is a really fun thing to do and I look forward every week to our Sunday afternoon sessions. We haven’t yet tried working out our own harmony lines but, obviously that is the way to go.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 09:43:22 AM »

Somewhat suprisingly to me at least some of the old manuscripts have parts.  I was looking at a transcription of the Joshua Gibbons Manuscript (~1825) in the Lincolnshire Collections series Nos. 59 to 88 (of 186) are all tunes for two or three parts.  ISBN 0-9530-1170-4.  Another fall back would be the cross over tunes also used as songs (should that be the other way around) as there will often be accompanied versions alternate tunes.  Elsey's Waltz also has a second part.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 11:43:13 AM »

You could also look through Anahata’s YouTube channel, where he has a few tunes played with his partner Mary. He, very generously, provides links to the sheet music.

Some of them, anyway. But folks are welcome to any that I haven't linked - just ask.
Also I'm now submitting a regular tune feature to Yorkshire folk magazine Tyke's News, which will mostly be tune+harmony arrangements I've made over the past few years. The first one was Sun Assembly in a three part (with treble harmony and bass line) arrangement.

I wonder if there's a market for another book of these...
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »

Look out for Dave Townsend's 'Village Band' tunebook series (has several volumes). There are tunes with harmonies in 2, 3 and 4 parts. Sorry can't find a suitable link just now, but Google is your friend.

OK - here's the link to Dave Townsend's books. The Village Band ones are excellent; highly recommended. Dave knows his stuff when arranging tunes for traditional instruments, especially melodeon, fiddle and concertina. The tunes and parts work very well.

I think some of them have transposed parts for Bb instruments, so useful for playing alongside clarinets, cornets, trumpets, etc.

http://www.davetownsendmusic.com/product-category/books/

If you click on the image of the books, you will see a contents list of the tunes therein, keys and time signatures, etc.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 01:53:20 PM »

James Scott Skinner often arranged tunes in two or more parts (he generally played with a bass player, but he also arranged for other instrumentations).
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Nick Barber

• Nick Barber's website
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 04:44:10 PM »

I have made quite a number of 3 and 4 part arrangements for the Sidmouth Big Band which we have been running for a few years. Each year we select a different source - often an unpublished manuscript. There is tune, harmony part and bass line. Normally there are B-flat and E-flat transposed versions as well. Have a look at nickbarber.net (the tunes are to be found in Tunes -> Workshops. I've got lots more from previous years - I might put together a compilation if there is any interest.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 06:18:11 PM »

... I might put together a compilation if there is any interest.

Ears prick up...I am very interested
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Rob Lands

• Regular debater
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2018, 06:45:10 PM »

Thats a really nice web site Nick.  I will have to have a look at the goodies on sale.

Tony Smith

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2018, 08:57:05 PM »

Thank you all so much for the replies.  I have ordered one of the Townsend Village Band books which look really good.  But I will also explore some of the other options mentioned. Harmonies here we come.....

Tony

Nick Barber

• Nick Barber's website
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2018, 10:34:53 PM »

Thats a really nice web site Nick.  I will have to have a look at the goodies on sale.
Thanks! There are various things for sale - but the tune arrangements are a free download.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal