Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting that "punchy" rhythm (and bellows safety)  (Read 4340 times)

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
Re: Getting that "punchy" rhythm (and bellows safety)
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2018, 10:05:48 AM »

No, I remember Bob well, and all his contempories mainly from East Anglia.
My comment was simply replying to Jesse's comments about John, after they've now discovered his music and cd's at the start of her melodeon journey.
I think of a lineage of melodeon players, Bob and the old boys > John and those of the '70's revival > the likes of Ollie, Owen, Bennami and the youngsters coming through who have built on their predecessors.
It seems to be a progression, and as George says, Bob was influenced by Jimmy Shand, presumably he had influences on his playing, so it looks like a continuation of building of playing, one on top the previous generation.
Long may it continue.
Q

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:12:05 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2018, 10:11:49 AM »

Ah George replied as I hit 'send'.
Yes I agree, be yourself.
I think the difference now is that we have a whole range and diversity of incredibly accomplished players who we can listen to and learn from, and presumably take bits of technique and style from each to enable you to be you. Whereas I guess when John started in the late 60's he had very few people to listen to and very little English music to work on.
The Revival has shown we do have the manuscripts around, there were seminal players that John's generation went to for inspiration and all that has produced a much more vibrant world now that we live and play in.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

george garside

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2018, 10:17:21 AM »

I understand Shand was influenced by the wiper brothers and William Hannah and probably by Scottish fidlers  such as Scott Skinner and probably many others- but he   played like himself!

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Helena Handcart

• Nine-box Nellie
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »

My comment was simply replying to Jesse's comments about John, after she's now discovered his music and cd's at the start of her melodeon journey.

*whispers* hello Q, I suspect that spelt like that Jesse is a he, not that it matters of course.
Sideways typing on the wooden handbag (now with added electric typewriter).

Green Man Sword | Helena Handcart on Soundcloud| Squeezebox from Scratch |

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2018, 01:11:28 PM »

argh...... have amended.
Thanks. Hope no one noticed...........
Q :-[

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 01:15:55 PM by Thrupenny Bit »
Thrupenny Bit

nigelr

• Respected Sage
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2018, 01:16:28 PM »

I think of a lineage of melodeon players, Bob and the old boys > John and those of the '70's revival > the likes of Ollie, Owen, Bennami and the youngsters coming through who have built on their predecessors.
The lineage seems to have skipped a generation - those in their 40s etc such as messrs Spiers, Cutting, Rose and Sutton, all of whom have inspired quite a few of us to pick up a box.
DB Oakwood Super 2 (D/G), Mory (D/G/Acc), Erika (Bb/Eb) and an HA114 in C

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »

Yes, I am a he. (:) I should get around to figuring out how to record some tunes for YouTube, might be less confusion then!

I think we can't help but sound like ourselves eventually (I guess there are some cover band type players who really specialize in simulating another player but I don't think that's common). But there's nothing wrong with learning the tricks of the trade from a master. That's what I really liked about Kirkpatrick's melodeon tutorial DVDs - they go farther than any book I've read in demonstrating ornaments, dynamics, right hand chords, etc. Those are the things that first attracted me to the melodeon when I listened to some morris dance tunes, so it was great to see those techniques explained.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Thrupenny Bit

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 02:01:35 PM »

( sorry mate  :|bl )
Q
Thrupenny Bit

Barlow

• Bad player, good talker apparently
  • Regular debater
  • Castagnari Lilly B/C Erica D/G
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2018, 09:21:16 PM »

Worst thing that can happen is that the pallets rise a little to let air out, then come back down again. No problem. If you push incredibly hard to could bust the bellows, but personally I couldn't.

I have loose bass pallets, and it is a problem. The press notes wheezing, although ok if playing quietly/gently. Perhaps unfairly, I blame it on the previous owner, or maybe the wax is getting old (20 years?).

(Anyway, time for a bass re-wax. Another topic I realise..)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:23:38 PM by Barlow »
. . .

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2018, 09:30:20 PM »

I have loose bass pallets, and it is a problem.

Yes, but in the context of this thread, that's not a problem caused by pushing too hard on the bellows.
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2018, 08:53:40 AM »

I am half way through sub-titleing a teaching video from Stéf Milleret that addresses this sort of dynamic in context of an Auvergne bourrée. (Yes, Stéf does play along the rows sometimes)!  ;)

The priciples apply to all similar music. Should publish about May, or June. Cannot offer much more, as it's in Birkenhead …  I'm in Spain.

Mustradem teaching series : see Mustradem.com (GC accordéon)
(There is now a similar CBA "chromatique" series by Patrick Reboud)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 08:56:25 AM by Chris Ryall »
  _       _    _      _ 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal