Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bandoneon info?  (Read 3412 times)

smiley

• Folk music: it's not as bad as it sounds
    • a few sound clips
Bandoneon info?
« on: January 26, 2018, 11:28:31 AM »

I've been given an old bandoneon (originally played in Berlin during the 1950s) and would like to learn about the instrument and its music. A low resolution photo is attached.

The buttons are bisonoric and there are various +/- marks stamped over each button on the wooden ends.
I can't see any maker's nameplate or model number. The Alfred Arnold models don't seem to have this one's prominent bass vents.
Does anyone know some standard bandoneon beginner tunes to get me started?

triskel

Re: Bandoneon info?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:29:11 PM »

I suppose bandonion.info might not be such a bad place to start? (Though I don't agree with some of the earliest history given there - and I've got the instruments, done the research, and discussed it with leading German academics/museum curators in the field who are of the same mind.)

One of the bandonions on that site, made by Kalbe of Berlin, looks rather similar to your one, so it may not have travelled far when it was played in Berlin during the 1950s: Fa. Kalbe (Berlin), um 1900. 2-chörig (8'+4')

There's also the website of my friend Harry Geuns: bandoneon-maker.com

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 10:06:54 PM »

Many thanks Triskel, that will be a good start. Its odd that I missed the site searching with google.
I equated the bandoneon with Argentinian tango music, so it feels a bit weird to see them being played in WWI trenches etc.

I should ask my friend if his bandoneon had been handed down through the family. Its been well taken care of over the years but sadly none of his family here show any interest.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:42:49 PM »

You can play almost everything on bandoneon, so may be not standard tunes.
As bandoneon / melodeon teacher in Lithuania i use simply (few sounds) folk dances for beginning.
In the key of G (third row push both sides) or A (second row push).
My suggestion is try to discovery sounds for melodies you know.
Main two systems are German and Argentinian
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

triskel

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 06:19:44 AM »

I equated the bandoneon with Argentinian tango music, so it feels a bit weird to see them being played in WWI trenches etc.

Indeed some of them found their way back to Britain in the hands of "Tommies" returning home from WWI - like (renowned Sussex Anglo concertina player) Scan Tester's brother Trayton. Scan learned to play on it, and seemingly sometimes made a bit of money by selling it to other people and, when they couldn't master it, he'd buy it back again for less than they'd paid him for it... ::)

You can hear samples of some of the old German repertoire here: Die Konzertina in Franken

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 11:17:47 AM »

Lithuanian bandoneon music (mostly traditional dance tunes).
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 12:18:07 PM »

Thanks for those examples of German and Lithuanian tunes played on bandoneon. Apparently the bandoneon began life as a mutation of the concertina, so perhaps an anglo concertina player would be able to find their way around it ok.

I found the button layout for my instrument here, so now I've got something to start off with.

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 11:01:16 PM »

Morris tunes work well on bandoneon.  If you concentrate on the two simplest rows you can easily play melody on the right had and counter melody on the left.  After that it's a question of finding notes as you have a use for them.  The left hand lowest notes make for some great chords.

have fun.

smiley

• a few sound clips
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »

Morris tunes work well on bandoneon

Forgive the impertinence, but studying my bandoneon in order to play morris tunes seems like using an Olivetti typewriter for my shopping list.

[Twinkle twinkle little star is about the extent of my current expertise]

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 06:02:26 AM »

"like using an Olivetti typewriter for my shopping list"

Doesn't everyone?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 07:18:39 AM »

"like using an Olivetti typewriter for my shopping list"

Doesn't everyone?

Living where you do, I would expect you to use hieroglyphics carved on stone.  >:E
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 08:12:37 AM »

I would have a go, Steve, but my beloved is going through a modernisation phase. She's always in hurry, so carving would be too slow; she uses a pencil and cut up old scented drawer liners form the guest apartment. So extravagant, yet she complains when I buy melodeons!!!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

oggiesnr

• Dino BPII, Alfred Arnold Bandoneon, Loffet G/C
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2018, 11:06:38 PM »

Morris tunes work well on bandoneon

Forgive the impertinence, but studying my bandoneon in order to play morris tunes seems like using an Olivetti typewriter for my shopping list.

[Twinkle twinkle little star is about the extent of my current expertise]

No. You have full range in both hands so you can play harmonies, basses and counter melodies.  You also have low notes that allow chromatic bass runs.

It's also great for those Scottish tunes in E and A that don't work easily on a melodeon.

As far as getting going is concerned then it depends if you read music or not.  If you do then you can actually use most piano tutors for the music.  Although we think of it as the tango instrument it's first use was really as a church instrument for hymns etc and I first heard it playing Bach.

The funny numbers on the sides are actually a notation system, an early tablature for those who didn't read music, called wash-line notation.

This site has a wealth of info on it http://www.tango.uk.com/oabandoneon/teknikk.html

Have fun

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal