Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sluggish bass note  (Read 922 times)

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
Sluggish bass note
« on: January 26, 2018, 01:47:27 PM »

Posting in "repair" because I think it's a physical glitch although it could be a technique issue...

I'm having a recurring issue on my D/G Pokerwork where the push C bass fails to sound on cue. This usually only happens when I'm playing loudly and reverse the bellows into that push (usually on the run E-F#-G with the C bass on the G, if you follow). It doesn't seem to happen if I play more softly, and it's not all the time either.

I wondered if it was a technique issue, maybe something to do with the angle of the bellows where the push is not efficient because I'm curving the bellows, but since it only occurs on the push C bass and not the chord or any other bass note it makes me think it's a mechanical issue. A sticking pallet, maybe? A valve issue?

Is this something I might be able to clear up myself or will I need to take it back to Scott Bellinger to be looked at by a pro?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:23:42 PM by Jesse Smith »
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
Re: Sluggish bass note
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:17:56 PM »

Sounds as if one of the bass reeds is set to low causing it to choke when high pressure is applied.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 03:45:42 PM by Lester »

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 02:23:10 PM »

Thanks Lester, I can't quite make out the second half of your sentence; to come what?

Neither voice sounds, though, so does that change the diagnosis? I push the button and the bellows and get nothing except the treble side.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 03:46:44 PM »

Thanks Lester, I can't quite make out the second half of your sentence; to come what?

Neither voice sounds, though, so does that change the diagnosis? I push the button and the bellows and get nothing except the treble side.

Don't post on your phone is today's learning point.

Sounds as if one of the bass reeds is set to low causing it to choke when high pressure is applied.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »

Probably a job for a pro, then? Are the C push bass reeds visible without removing the reed blocks?

Why would both reeds choke at once though?

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 04:29:27 PM »

Probably a job for a pro, then? Are the C push bass reeds visible without removing the reed blocks?

Why would both reeds choke at once though?

The push reeds are indeed the visible ones.

As to why they both choke, bass reeds are the real black magic of reeds and are a bugger to set up properly. Sometimes I have found that the higher of the two reeds (in a Pokerwork) will choke and the lower reed will just refuse to start in sympathy, setting the higher one will make both start. This is just my observation and others may have a different point of view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal