Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Depreciation  (Read 3668 times)

C K LIGHT

Depreciation
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »

Hi all,

Of course there is no set answer to this, but I've never sold on a melodeon so I've no idea even what one can expect as 'value' for a second hand instrument.

I'm learning on a fantastic two voice Sandpiper D/G and as I get more out of the instrument I become more interested in the idea of fourth button starts, the sound of three voice instruments etc etc.

When the day comes that I'd like to upgrade the instrument, should it still be in perfect condition 2 years or so after purchase, can anyone advise how much less than I paid I could expect to receive for it? I know some dealers do part exchange, is that something I should consider, or should I sell privately?

Any thoughts most gratefully received!

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Depreciation
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 05:21:16 PM »

Have a look here for the melnet policy on valuations.

You can look in our completed sales or on eBay to see how much similar instruments have sold for.  For trade in value you should consult the dealer concerned.  How much you might be offered can vary widely. 

Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 05:39:44 PM »

Depreciation seems to depend a lot on the exact model and current fashions.  I'm pretty certain that there are adherents to every type of box, but certainly there are surges of interest in each type, sometimes fueled by famous performers' latest offerings demonstrating the ability of that type.  There is also the question of availability of a new equivalent.  Particular models with long waiting lists can mean that a mint secondhand example will sell for the new list price!

Rob.

Tufty

• Dino Bincis etc
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 06:44:21 PM »

You will get the best financial deal if you sell privately and buy as a cash buyer but part ex can be an easy option. I have done both. Some dealers will also sell on commission, charging a % of the sale price. Better instruments hold their value much better than tat! All in all, much like selling cars. Try lots before buying your new box or you could end up suffering  severe wallet pain as you have to sell again! (I still have the scars  :|bl).

richard.fleming

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »

If you buy second hand instruments of the right quality you may not get depreciation. I'm pretty sure all my Paolo Sopranis from the 1950s are worth as much as or more than when I bought them.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 07:50:12 AM by richard.fleming »
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:24 PM »

If you buy second hand instruments of the right quality you may not get depreciation. I'm pretty sure all my Paolo Sopranis from the 1950s are worth as much or more than when I bought them.
True!  but I don't think you can compare a Paolo Soprani from that era with a Sandpiper that the OP is trying to get a idea about. Also it would depend on what key that PS is in, I would think.

I bought a Beltuna one row for almost 40% off original price. It was in great condition minus a small chip in the bottom of keyboard and pallets needed a little work because the decorative tape had fallen off. I think it was two or three yrs old when I got it.
It would be about fifty percent off today's pricing,  the seller was motivated to sell so I benefited.
So as others have said it varies and depends on different factors.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Grape Ape

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 02:43:50 AM »

Here’s my 2 cents.  Decide the price you would like to see yourself get for it, and then list it at halfway between that price and the price of a new one (people love to haggle).

If it doesn’t sell after a bit of time, lower the price.

Should time pass, still with no sale, lower the price again and post an enticing video. 

Should time pass and still no bites, lower one last time.

Still no bites?  %#*! it and keep it as a backup or campfire model...

richard.fleming

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 07:52:29 AM »

My comment was aimed more at his next purchase when he sells the Sandpiper.
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 08:11:00 AM »

Sandpipers are currently manufactured for SqueezeBoxes - a partial spin-off from the now defunct Music Room. Their price list for new 2-row, 2-voice instruments varies from £845 to £950, depending on the specification (number of buttons, stop to remove thirds, etc). See here:
https://squeezeboxes.co.uk/collections/melodeon/brand_sandpiper

For a two year old modern but basic instrument like this, there will inevitably be some depreciation; you definitely won't get back what you paid for it. If selling privately, perhaps work on an approximate figure of 50% - 60% of the current new price at the time of sale, and depending on condition, and you would probably be not too far out. If selling through a dealer, there will be a commission to pay too.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

C K LIGHT

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 10:18:51 AM »

Thank you everyone for your most enlightening answers!

I'd not had any previous conversations on the subject so i was completely in the dark as for what to expect; I'm in a much better place to make the decision when the time comes now.

And so i shall continue my attempts to stick with what I've got for a while longer...

george garside

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 10:19:58 AM »

a couple of thoughts on second hand prices.

it is not just the make and model aand its age that governs values but also the all important matter of condition,  If at all possible or unless it is ridiculously undervalued  try before you buy if possible or buy from a reputable dealer.

look at sales websites  eg ebay, gumtree etc other second hand adverts  and dealers second hand lists to establish a 'range' of prices for the same make and model  but bear in mind that if the seller bought it 30 years ago and hasn't  used it for years  he may have no idea of current prices and you could get a bargain..   I once bought a 15 year old virtually brand new pokerwork for the asking price of £40 in a local paper ad!  This example demonstrates that it can be the sellers circumstances as much as the make and condition of the box that governs the price.

Don't be afraid to 'haggle'  , paarticulary if buying privately

george

author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 01:06:33 PM »

And don't forget, like anything well used, may need tuning, minor repair, etc.
If you can do it yourself, you have the cost of parts.
If you need a fettler/dealer, need to build that into the price.
Note:  DO NOT STIFF MEMBERS OF MELNET!  KARMA and WORSE SHALL BEFALL THEE.
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »

Depreciation is probably not the right word to use here.  Yes there can be a drop in price from new to secondhand. But it’s not like cars where most will be worth nothing after10 to 15 years. A good box (or any musical instrument) will find its price level which can stay pretty much the same for many years as long as it’s looked after.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2018, 10:26:28 AM »

At some point Trigger’s Broom begins to be relevant.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2018, 12:59:56 PM »

(thanks Chris for new entry to my British-pedia...never heard of Fools and Horses previous...)
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

boxer

• Respected Sage
  • B/C Pokerwork - ultimate ceili box
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2018, 07:45:19 PM »

getting about 50%-60% of new price back is a reasonable expectation.  Make, model and condition may affect it.

if you sell the box by commission sale through any but the smallest dealer, there's be 20% VAT to come out of the selling price before you get your share of what's left.

if you're offered a dazzlingly good part-ex price for your box against a new instrument, have a very close look at what you're buying and how much you're being asked to pay to get it - remember, there's no such thing as a free lunch, and the dealer who's selling you the new box still has to turn a profit and cover the cost of the VAT on your old box, when he sells it.  He'll be selling it into the same marketplace - the one where you were only expecting the box to be worth 50-60% of its new price.  He's not a charity.

the big advantage of selling to or through a dealer is that as long as the dealer's happy to buy it from you at the agreed price, you don't have to worry whether the box's next owner is pleased with it or thinks he's been fleeced.  The dealer has to take care of that and a lot of people think it's a service that's worth paying for.
Nuage, Tommy, Cairdin, 
Double Ray DLX 21x12, Black Dot,
Pre-Erica, Pokerwork
plus various stringed things

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2018, 10:31:27 PM »

(thanks Chris for new entry to my British-pedia...never heard of Fools and Horses previous...)

Ah!  I believe the US example is a Grandfather’s ax(e).  The USA and Britain, two nations divided by a common language.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2018, 11:09:41 PM »

Ah!  I believe the US example is a Grandfather’s ax(e).  The USA and Britain, two nations divided by a common language.

Goes back to Plutarch in Life of Theseus from the late first century

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

syale

• The Terrier
  • When will this MADness stop?
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2018, 08:26:07 PM »

Ship of Theseus - I get wiser every time I visit Melnet!

Stephen
HA114 C/G/A/D, 2915 G/C. Liliput, Club IIB C/F Dino Baffetti Modell 22 B Twitter: @syale
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal