Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theme of the Month for February 2018: Traditional, Arranged...  (Read 7192 times)

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
Re: Theme of the Month for February 2018: Traditional, Arranged...
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2018, 03:17:42 PM »

Very nice playing, both from Mcgrooger and Ellisteph! Thanks for sharing.

Ellison

• Respected Sage
    • A few tunes here:
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2018, 08:19:14 PM »

Hulloo

I really hoped to be posting something new for this ToTM because trad arr. is usually what I do. However, I haven't had time to record so, yet again, I'll post an old recording.

Many years ago I travelled over to Skipton with old friends, some no longer with us, to see a trad jazz band, Max Collie's Rhythm Aces. I bought their album and was enamoured by a tune on the LP. Initially, I had no idea of its provenance but enjoyed it enough to see if I could learn it.
It's called 'Girl in Clover' and, I found out later that it's a traditional East European tune (I'm sure I knew the country of origin once) and I later heard it played on an anti-dandruff commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQE1GFRaoEA

I've gradually been going bald ever since. Draw your own conclusions.

Martin

« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 08:22:14 PM by Ellison »

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2018, 08:43:39 PM »

Thought I'd have a bash at a pair of triple hornpipes - Cheshire Rounds and The Old Lancashire Hornpipe.  First heard all those years ago on the album that helped kickstart the English revival - Albion Band's Battle of the Field. Sorry about the knee which seems to be moving independently of the tune!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Uwf7KB6jg
Really nice, and gave me the motivation to order "Battle of the Field". I know this set from The John Kirkpatrick Band's "Force of Habit" live album, presumably a similar arrangement.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2018, 03:56:59 PM »

I have only been playing the melodeon for a little under four months, but I wanted to record something since this month's theme is so accessible. Here is Donkey Riding, originally a sea shanty documented to at least 1850. I learned the tune from Mally's beginner book, although I added the push D bass and chord in the penultimate bar of each part, and also a bit of right hand harmony.

This certainly isn't up to the standard of the other TotM entries, but I can at least hear the beginnings of a good "pulse" in the playing. I was originally planning to sing a verse of the shanty as well, just as an experiment as to whether I can sing and play at the same time (it turns out I can!) but it was frankly all I could do to get a single once-through without mistakes. Maybe someday I'll be able to record three or four times through like everyone else. ;D

https://youtu.be/ceVpvEnuwGc
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »

Nicely done Jesse.

Someone once said there are no coincidences but, sometimes the pattern is more obvious. I found this this morning when looking for something completely different (actually, it was Vivian Stanshall, of the Bonzo Dog Band).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7DYijyLVwk
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Mcgrooger

• Northern Roots
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2018, 10:46:01 AM »

Well played Jesse! Just because some of us play a tune through more than once doesn't mean they're done in one take! I thought I'd got through my tunes without too many mistakes after a number of attempts to find that I'd had the recorder too close so I had to start all over again and play the set over a good few more times till I was happy enough with the result.
Keep it up, you're obviously making good progress. The singing will come in time if you want it to.
Cheers. Mcg. (:)

Clive Williams

• Administrator
    • Home Page
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 10:43:24 PM »

THanks everyone; onto the next theme! Stick late contribs on the end here of course as usual.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 11:12:32 PM »

Well played Jesse! Just because some of us play a tune through more than once doesn't mean they're done in one take! I thought I'd got through my tunes without too many mistakes after a number of attempts to find that I'd had the recorder too close so I had to start all over again and play the set over a good few more times till I was happy enough with the result.
Keep it up, you're obviously making good progress. The singing will come in time if you want it to.
Cheers. Mcg. (:)
Thanks, McGrooger. I expect that playing in front of a camera will become easier with time, independent of actual playing improvement even. I figure it is good practice for eventually playing live in front of others and listening to a recording of oneself definitely shows you where the gaps currently are!

It's funny about singing. I was surprised that I was able to sing while playing, first with just a left hand chord accompaniment and then while playing the tune as normal. But I've been playing and singing for 25 years now, so maybe I got over that hurdle a long time ago.

By the way, on the topic of singing, I very much enjoyed your recording of Amphitrite!

Next month's "fast tunes" theme is not so accessible to a beginner. I may have to sit this one out. ::)

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 02:50:10 PM »

My (late) contributions to this Theme of the Month:

Roslin Castle: https://youtu.be/B35rxPTRqMo

This is an 18th century Scottish tune that appeared in several tune books of the time.  I only learnt it this week having heard it on the CD "Dominion" by the The Melrose Quartet.  It fits quite nicely on a D/G provided that you have the Eb available. 

The Northern Lass https://youtu.be/yQ9YVzVwh9s

I don't know too much about this one, apart from that it appears on the Banquet of Boxes CD plated by Andy Cutting.

Fred

• G/C Pariselle, D/G Loffet & maybe too many Hohners
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »

Holy moly, Mr Bavarian Pete! I'm very much in love with this song, Roslin Castle, which I did not know before, and want to thank you a lot for even posting the dots to it. Even though I'm not used to learning songs by dots but normally use ABC, I have to say it's working out quite well. I've listened to your version five times already and will definitely listen a few more times to make sure I have the melody right. The song just feels so contemplative to me. (:) Thanks!

Peter Savage

• Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2018, 07:27:23 AM »

Holy moly, Mr Bavarian Pete! I'm very much in love with this song, Roslin Castle, which I did not know before, and want to thank you a lot for even posting the dots to it. Even though I'm not used to learning songs by dots but normally use ABC, I have to say it's working out quite well. I've listened to your version five times already and will definitely listen a few more times to make sure I have the melody right. The song just feels so contemplative to me. (:) Thanks!
Thanks Fred - I have the ABC too (below) as that is now I generated the dots.  I also hadn't come across the tune until someone gave me that Melrose Quartet CD, and agree that it's a lovely tune that feels like it comes from that area of the world.  The Melrose Quartet recording is on Spotify - have a listen (track 13) - it's a nice with some violin added in. 

X: 3
P: Roslyn Castle (The House of Glamis)
O: Pastoral Pipe Tune, 18th c
M: C
L: 1/8
K: Em
GF \
| E2B>c B2AB | c>BAG F2GF | E2e>f g2fe | d>efd B2AB |
| c>BAG F2GA | BGFE ^d2ef | gf/2e/2f^d eBAB | G2 BG F2 E2 :|
|: zB | e>B ef g2fe | b>aga f2ef | e>Bef g2fe |b>aga f2 AB |
cBAG F2GA |  BGFE ^d2ef | gf/2e/2f^d eBAB | G2 BG F2 E2  :|
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal