Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What can you tell me about the quality of this accordion  (Read 3669 times)

Bob Tedrow

• New Starter
What can you tell me about the quality of this accordion
« on: February 02, 2018, 02:40:12 AM »

Mourier button accordion French circa 1974 C/G pitch extremely nice piece in excellent condition

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
Re: What can you tell me about the quality of this accordion
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 04:46:57 AM »

I hope it’s not just an ornament..
Looks nice compact .. I know nothing of French boxes.
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Roger Howard

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 08:09:55 AM »

I think this might be a "student" model from a good maker, Jean Princivalle. His instruments are usually more decorated than this very plain example. His instruments, dating from the 1980s and 1990s (I believe) occasionally come up on French sites and sell for modest prices, but are well thought of. See http://cdbp-expo.com/mapage17/index.html for some info on the atelier, which produced accordeons and hurdy gurdies.

Bertrand Gaillard says that he met Princivalle at St Chartier in 1981 when they were both débutants in making accordeons.

Roger
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 08:24:13 AM by Roger Howard »
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Simon W

• Regular debater
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 10:02:43 AM »

I think this might be a "student" model from a good maker, Jean Princivalle. His instruments are usually more decorated than this very plain example. His instruments, dating from the 1980s and 1990s (I believe) occasionally come up on French sites and sell for modest prices, but are well thought of. See http://cdbp-expo.com/mapage17/index.html for some info on the atelier, which produced accordeons and hurdy gurdies.

Bertrand Gaillard says that he met Princivalle at St Chartier in 1981 when they were both débutants in making accordeons.

Roger

I have a later model of these when they became "Jorgina". The casework is fabulous and the quality of the reeds good. Its a wonderful sounding box quite heavy but I don't mind that. I sure I heard that Jean Princivalle had a car accident and so gave up making but no idea whether this is true or not. My view is that it will be a good box although may need some setting up and tweaking depending on how it has been played and looked after.

Simon

Roger Howard

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:25:34 AM »

By "student", I meant an instrument without decoration, and therefore less expensive - a bit like the Serafini R2D2, in which the quality of the reeds, fabrication etc was not compromised, but the cost was kept down. It could be a very good box, indeed.

Roger
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:56:26 AM by Roger Howard »

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 11:40:38 AM »

There was a band playing many years ago whose box player had two Jorginas.  I thought the name (ignoring the local connotations) most appropriate as it could best be characterised as having a woman's voice.  Soft and warming, yet capable of great power.  Lovely boxes.

Rob.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 12:01:16 PM »

A brief mention of l'Atelier du Mourier –
http://cdbp-expo.com/mapage17/index.html

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 01:15:42 PM »

Not tired of concertina, I hope!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Bob Tedrow

• New Starter
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 03:46:53 AM »

I haven’t built a Concertina in some time.  In the old days, I had hours and hours of time at the bench.  My retail shop is so busy these days I cannot find the time.  Besides, there are many new and talented builders these days.

I still buy and sell Concertinas though, I’m still around.   You should be keeping up with the shop on instagram

instagram.com/tedrow

(Btw, this accordion is available for sale $950)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 03:49:24 AM by Bob Tedrow »

triskel

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 12:42:07 PM »

I haven’t built a Concertina in some time.  In the old days, I had hours and hours of time at the bench.  My retail shop is so busy these days I cannot find the time. 

I know the feeling Bob, you can't run a busy retail shop and make new instruments, or repair complicated ones like concertinas - there aren't enough hours in the day, and you can't work all night on jobs (as I have) every night! ::)  People don't appreciate the huge amount of time that's taken up in simply setting up the new stock to play well - a huge advantage of buying from a good local shop, where you can try it out too, rather than online.

triskel

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »

I think this might be a "student" model from a good maker, Jean Princivalle. His instruments are usually more decorated than this very plain example.

Here are some of his fancier models on a Jorgina flyer I was given years ago, I think Roger Watson was agent for them at the time:

Roger Howard

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 01:11:43 PM »

Interesting - they do look attractive. Am I right in my impression that "jorgina" what they call an diatonic accordion in Occitan?

Roger

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 02:28:02 PM »

These are really cool boxes; thanks for sharing the flyer, triskel!

Simon W

• Regular debater
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »

Interesting - they do look attractive. Am I right in my impression that "jorgina" what they call an diatonic accordion in Occitan?

Roger

Yes there is a mention of it on the same website
http://cdbp-expo.com/instruments/index.html

This is mine which doesn't have the helper buttons and is in DG

Simon

triskel

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 03:32:38 PM »

Interesting - they do look attractive.

Those inlays remind me of manufactured Italian marquetry ones for furniture making, pre-set into veneers, which I've seen for sale.

triskel

« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 03:53:04 PM »

Am I right in my impression that "jorgina" what they call an diatonic accordion in Occitan?

Yes there is a mention of it on the same website
http://cdbp-expo.com/instruments/index.html

So that's "Giorgina" in the Comté de Nice then, though a more general Occitan name for the diatonic accordion seems to be "semitoun" - maybe their equivalent for "diato"? ???

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 10:57:42 AM »

There was a band playing many years ago whose box player had two Jorginas.  I thought the name (ignoring the local connotations) most appropriate as it could best be characterised as having a woman's voice.  Soft and warming, yet capable of great power.  Lovely boxes.

Rob.

If that was Keith Holloway he still has them, as far as I know.
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal