Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: C/C# Anyone?  (Read 3913 times)

richard.fleming

Re: C/C# Anyone?
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:56 AM »

It's a while since I played BC George and I don't have much theory, but surely on a BC box you would normally play the key of G inside out ie basically on the C row and finding your accidentals on the B row?
Old Paolo Sopranis in C#/D and D/D#

george garside

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:55 AM »

Indeed, and using the same fingering on a CC# you get Ab

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2018, 11:52:44 AM »

G is I think the best key to begin with for those coming to the B/C from D/G or G/C - considerably less of a brain-twister than D.

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2018, 12:21:04 PM »

Well I am in at the deep end. The piece is on E minor with several accidentals and it uses buttons 2-10 in the first 4 bars! I only went as far as the 7th button before this on my single row boxes, so I will be busy for a while.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2018, 12:44:40 PM »

Well I am in at the deep end. The piece is on E minor with several accidentals and it uses buttons 2-10 in the first 4 bars! I only went as far as the 7th button before this on my single row boxes, so I will be busy for a while.

E minor is (generally) the same notes as G, but based on the E as a root note
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

gettabettabox

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2018, 12:46:32 PM »

Yep, l would heed stiamh's advice and start with a few tunes in G on the B/C box.
I always find the hornpipes in G give a nice flowing feel.
As ever, there should be no rush.
I would have to be completely re-wired now to be instinctively fluent on the B/C system, but on the C#/D, the Key of A sits comfortably and that's as much as I need to pinch from the B/C style.

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 01:21:24 PM »

george

this would explain why I liked it right away and became second nature ;)
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, SabĂ­an, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2018, 01:33:24 PM »

In Em you have to consider whether you are going to use the basses. If so, and if you have a standard bass setup with E on the push, you will need to use the push E and B (the latter on the outer row) quite a bit, whereas using those two notes on the pull will make it easy to play whole phrases on the pull. Even if you decide not to play basses, there is the question of whether playing entire phrases on the pull is desirable, rhythm-wise.

Two common tunes, Drowsy Maggie and Morrison's jig, provide useful studies in the possibilities.

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2018, 04:08:30 PM »

I am half way through installing the basses/ chords in the Joe Burke layout. I have been able to use a mixture of old Hohner pa reeds and recycled c/c# reeds with only one reed tongue requiring solder. I doubt I will use the basses very much but I like to have them and it cost me nothing. The piece I am learning is called The Golden Eagle - so many notes! I will look at those other tunes also thanks.

Stiamh

• Old grey C#/D pest
    • Packie Manus Byrne
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2018, 06:22:35 PM »

If it's the same Golden Eagle I know, it's in G major, not E minor.Not the kind of G tune that I was thinking of when I said it's best to start on B/C with tunes in G!!!

And if it is that Golden Eagle, the second part starts with an arpeggio of B major, so you'll get to play a whole run on the B row, on the push! (Don't try that run using the B notes on your C row...)

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2018, 06:39:24 PM »

Hi Stiamh
I didn't choose the tune- I have been asked to play it and I am working from hand written score that states Em. I don't know if that is right. It is similar to the first ones that come up on FolkTuneFinder website search. When I have learned the tune I will no doubt experiment with the basses a little. I will take your advice on board thank you.
Tiposx

KLR

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »

Whoever is requisitioning you to play that hornpipe is either sadistic or not a melodeon player.   :o  I still have to calm down to get through the 2nd part.  You want to be playing exciting stuff like the Minstrel Boy when you start out.

Quote from: george garside on Yesterday at 10:15:55 AM

george

this would explain why I liked it right away and became second nature

Ab is a pretty common tune in jazz, are you playing bebop or something?  I've a big repertoire and know a whopping 4 trad tunes that are properly played in Eb.  My friend with the PA always wants to play the Banks in G anyway so so much for that.  I do like playing C/F/Bb stuff in the original keys.  William Marshall, Mr. "I do not compose for bunglers," apparently wrote a few in Ab and Db.  Bully for you, dude.   ::)  Mostly being able to play in Ab comes in handy when I want to mess with people.   ;)

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2018, 08:53:20 AM »

The culprit plays the English concertina. I will get there but even more slowly than usual.
Looks like he and I will have to learn Minstrel Boy though. ..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:57:26 AM by Tiposx »
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal