Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: East Anglian Tunebook now published and available.....  (Read 5912 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
East Anglian Tunebook now published and available.....
« on: December 30, 2007, 08:47:28 AM »

The long-awaited East Anglian tunebook "Before The Night Was Out..." was published on 21st December 2007 and is now available from the East Anglian Traditional Music Trust website here:
http://www.eatmt.org.uk/Shop.htm#ENB30%20Before%20the%20Night%20Was%20Out

Description from the EATMT website:
Before the Night Was Out aims to shed light on the way in which traditional music in Suffolk and Norfolk has thrived and mutated during the twentieth century, as well as providing a resource for practising musicians.

It includes:
- Polkas, hornpipes, jigs, schottisches and waltzes, including comparative versions, transcribed from recordings of more than twenty different melodeon players, fiddlers and dulcimer players
- Biographies, photographs and contextual information about the East Anglian musical tradition, plus a comprehensive discography
- Fascinating details about the musical, social and geographical journeys these tunes have made through time
- Guidance on how to interpret and play this music

As I did all the transcriptions into written music from the archive and field recordings, I am clearly biased,  ;)  but when my copy came through the post I was more than pleasantly surprised to see the final version in print and 'for real'.  I think this is a really great book.
Katie and John Howson have done a truly magnificent job here, along with Jeannie Harris who had the daunting task of musical typsetting all my hand-written manuscripts and Taz Tarry who helped pull the final production together.

You want to know the original versions of Walter Bulwer's polkas? .... Oscar Wood's tunes? .... the contribution made by women musicians in East Anglian Traditional Music? Fancy having a go at Billy Bennington's dulcimer tunes on the melodeon? (what a challenge!) It's all here, along with fascinating biographies of the musicians, together with photos and anecdotes.

One of my favourite quotes concerns Norfolk melodeon player Percy Brown, who was always noted for his economical bellows technique. He said "All that air rushing in and out must wear out the bellows and buttons, now mustn't it?". A lesson we could all usefully take to heart perhaps?

So - what are you waiting for?  Order your copy now!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2007, 10:07:50 AM by Steve_freereeder »
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Lin Leighton

• Regular debater
  • Castagnari Tommy/ Dino Baffetti BP
Re: East Anglian Tunebook now published and available.....
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 08:30:48 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!  AND WELL DONE STEVE AND ALL INVOLVED

I know that you have been working on this for a long time and how dear it is to your heart, and I am so pleased that it has reached such a wonderful completion for you Steve.  it sounds really good - but of course you are biased!!  ha ha
Lin
Lin(Rattlejag Morris)

rees

• Windjammer
    • Wesson Accordions
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 09:02:43 PM »

Well done Steve. It's a fabulous piece of work.
Rees Wesson (accordion builder and mechanic)
Gungrog, Welshpool, Wales, UK
www.melodeons.com

brianread

• Slow and Steady Session in West Lancashire/Greater Manchester; Dance club in Rainford
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:15:12 PM »

ordered..looking forward to it.
Brian Read
D/G Oakwood (new model), D/G, C /F, Bb/Eb and E/A Liliputs,
A STREB!!,
2.5 D/G Self made Emmanuel Pariselle, D/G Pokerwork,
and Wolverton Advanced G/D Anglo Concertina and C/G  1937 Wheatstone.
all played "lefty" with mostly an extra air button, except the Concertinas which I play the conventional way round.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 02:32:36 PM »

And if you haven't already, catch Steve playing some of the tunes he transcribed in the recording/video section of this forum ;D
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 05:54:11 PM »

I wonder if there is any danger of an accompanying CD? Whilst I realise that most of the original archive recordings will be available already on a number of CD's and cassettes via Veteran/EATMT, it would seem to me to be a logical step to take to pull them all together on one CD - a bit like the recent "Hardcore English" book/CD from EFDSS - and a big help to people like me whose music reading skills are somewhat lacking! It could open up a potentially much larger market for the book.

Well done to all concerned, anyway.

Mike
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 09:24:59 PM by Mike Gott »
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 11:30:05 AM »

I wonder if there is any danger of an accompanying CD? Whilst I realise that most of the original archive recordings will be available already on a number of CD's and cassettes via Veteran/EATMT, it would seem to me to be a logical step to take to pull them all together on one CD - a bit like the recent "Hardcore English" book/CD from EFDSS - and a big help to people like me whose music reading skills are somewhat lacking! It could open up a potentially much larger market for the book.

Well done to all concerned, anyway.

Thanks Mike.
I know there is a double CD for 'Hardcore English' and very good it is too; yet it remains just a selection for all the tunes in the book.

But in our case, I don't think an accompanying CD is really on the cards - at least not for the foreseeable future. For one thing, there are well over 70 tunes in the book, some in the different versions of several performers, and it would need probably 3 CDs to accommodate all of them, which could get unacceptably expensive. But also, as you have already pointed out, nearly all of the tunes are available as CDs or cassettes from Veteran. The book contains a comprehensive discography, so it is easy to pinpoint which recordings to listen to for any particular tune. However, I do think that there could be a case for re-issuing some of the Veteran recordings, currently only available on cassettes, as CDs. I will mention it to Katie and John Howson when I am next in contact.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 03:10:23 PM »

But in our case, I don't think an accompanying CD is really on the cards - at least not for the foreseeable future. For one thing, there are well over 70 tunes in the book, some in the different versions of several performers, and it would need probably 3 CDs to accommodate all of them, which could get unacceptably expensive. But also, as you have already pointed out, nearly all of the tunes are available as CDs or cassettes from Veteran. The book contains a comprehensive discography, so it is easy to pinpoint which recordings to listen to for any particular tune. However, I do think that there could be a case for re-issuing some of the Veteran recordings, currently only available on cassettes, as CDs. I will mention it to Katie and John Howson when I am next in contact.
[/quote]

There are several Veteran recordings available on cassette only that I'd have bought instantly on CD. I no longer have any means of playing cassettes, so it's not an option for me.

I mentioned eMusic (or other mp3 companies) to John Howson at Melodeons and More last year, but he said he was planning to set up online sales with a Windows-only company that used DRM (HMV, I think). Obviously his choice, but I doubt piracy is a serious risk to Veteran and it feels like a shame to ignore that portion of the customer base who won't buy music with DRM, or don't use Windows.

DaveW

• Regular debater
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 05:40:56 PM »

After an earlier reprimand from Steve about East Anglian's not writing it down; I bought the book. Very good job it is too, meeting the aims of the authors and producers as an archive as well as a tune source. How nice to have actual transcripts from melodeon playing without the need to work out our own arrangements.

I have had the tape ''The Pigeon on the Gate' Melodeon players from East Anglia' Veteran Vintage series 1997, for some time - also very good. After recieving the book, my first thought was 'Where is the CD to go with the book?' Since then I have inclined towards the advice given in the book by John Howson, of listening to the tape many times to help develop one's own playing style. Compared with the book, the two tapes include most of the melodeon tunes, from different players in different versions, some just as snippets. They total 118 .  Book and tape together is a lot of fun.
DaveW

Paolo Soprani b/c/c#, V Soprani b/c, Hohner Compadre adg, Roland FR-18, Hohner Merlin d/g

Mike Gott

• Respected Sage
  • Melodeon and hairy arm
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2008, 05:31:55 PM »

I notice that the Veteran site now notes the "Melodeon Players from East Anglia" double cassette compilation is scheduled to become available as a double CD around the end of April. This is an important recording and apart from it's relevance to the book it is really essential listening for anyone interested in how and what music was played for entertainment down in the English pub before the coming of the folk revival.

Mike.
"Traditional music was for entertainment, it wasn't for a further education class" (Bob Davenport)

Rivington Morris, Bolton, Lancashire.

Dazbo

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Danger MAD Here!
    • My YouTube Channel for melodeons, morris and folk in general
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2008, 12:40:45 PM »

I notice that the Veteran site now notes the "Melodeon Players from East Anglia" double cassette compilation is scheduled to become available as a double CD around the end of April.

Ohh goody!!
Ciao Bellow

Darren

Alison Scott

• Mods and volunteers
  • Respected Sage
  • Oakwood, Dino Baffetti, Roma, Liliput, Streb etc.
    • Macadamia
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2008, 04:30:13 PM »

I notice that the Veteran site now notes the "Melodeon Players from East Anglia" double cassette compilation is scheduled to become available as a double CD around the end of April. This is an important recording and apart from it's relevance to the book it is really essential listening for anyone interested in how and what music was played for entertainment down in the English pub before the coming of the folk revival.

Mike.

It was launched -- in a 'pre-order' sort of way -- at Melodeons and More on Saturday, and I bought it on the spot. Just to demonstrate that I wasn't kidding when sulking up-thread about cassette-only releases. According to John it's going to be a rather grander production all round, with a lengthy booklet insert. I am excited.

Malcolm Austen

• Respected Sage
  • any old hohner
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2008, 08:39:37 AM »

Good good good
It is one of the finest resources of English melodeon playing but the cassette format is very hard work with a lot of tracks to keep shuffling through. The CD will be much better and now with extra track notes I think I will be tempted even though  I made my own CD from my cassette copy. Has the CD got all the tracks that were on the cassette?
aka malodeon
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal