Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Scottish musette tuning  (Read 2314 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Scottish musette tuning
« on: February 03, 2018, 07:13:49 AM »

What is the mid keyboard offset for MMM? I have worked on an instrument that was -25 +30... it was wild. But curious to get inputs. I have a tendency to try and take the raw edge off musette tuning...but I have been asked for Scottish musette (the instrument is going to Scotland) , and I don't want it to be too..er..dry. (:)

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Scottish musette tuning
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:14:42 AM »

-25 +30 is about right.  Some Scottish style players won’t have anything else, though it’s not pleasant to my ear.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

george garside

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 11:00:26 AM »

Each to his own ear ! I  love proper Scottish musette which I have on my trichord  ( sold to me as needing complete retuning as far too sharp)   and my ex Brandon Mcphee HohnerGaelic.

Standard pokerwork tuning I think is fine but ,to me, 'dry' tuning sounds like an  angry bee trapped in a bucket trying to get out!

~Each to his own ear etc

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

triskel

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 12:32:08 PM »

Standard pokerwork tuning I think is fine but ,to me, 'dry' tuning sounds like an  angry bee trapped in a bucket trying to get out!

Couldn't agree more George, though lots of people would consider my preferred (original old Paolo Soprani factory tuning) +/-25 (at A=442) too strong these days, never mind -25/+30 :o

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 12:41:29 PM »

I hate musette. It's out of tune! It certainly hurts my ears. My mate Dave describes the Scottish musette tuned PA, as, "The instrument of the devil", and who am I to disagree.

SJ :)
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

triskel

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 12:55:56 PM »

I'm talking about this kind of sound SJ, which is what we're aiming for at our Saturday night session (with the same banjo player) in Gort: Joe Cooley 1924 - 1973 (:)

george garside

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »

and what could be easier on the ear!

george ;D
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 05:51:32 PM »

It made my dogs howl  :D
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »

Sorry Triskel, and George, lovely playing, but it still sounds slightly off key to my ears.

SJ
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

triskel

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 06:51:57 PM »

"Slightly off key" is ok SJ. There's a box-playing concertina player I know who describes it as "too many notes", and it's not for every session or all circumstances, but it's perfect for that old style of music, and really cuts through a noisy bar so that dancers can hear it.

Bill Young

• Paolo Soprani BCC#
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 07:14:09 PM »

Well, there’s Scottish musette and Scottish musette, depending on the desires of the player. I think there's been a trend in recent years towards less extreme tuning. My 1960s Paolo Soprani, last adjusted in 2003, is -21 +29, A=442. That reads quite wide but sounds fine. The Shand Morino I had, tuned by the acknowledged SM expert, John Crawford, was -23 +26. When it was serviced last year by Robert Rolston (Manfrini accordions) he said he wouldn’t normally tune that wide nowadays. It’s replacement, a Guerrini Gala, was tuned in September last year by Gordon Pattullo. It is -22 +24 and sounds great. I think that represents a more modern Scottish musette.

pete /acorn

• .Cast Trilly
    • Acorn Instruments
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 11:52:51 PM »

A few years ago now my daughter's new Manfrini was tuned +25  -18, I have now my stock Accordions tuned to that when new which can easily be changed if a customer wants it
Acorn Instruments are the official retailer for Castagnari Instruments,Melodeons and Accordions for England and Scotland and have an extensive stock of new instruments on the shelf for prompt delivery in standard layouts however these can easily be changed to customers specia lrequirements
 We also have the largest stock in the UK of  pre loved melodons all fully serviced,and with 12 months warranty
UK and international customers catered for
www.acorninstruments.co.uk

MarioP

• Regular debater
  • Enjoying the MADNESS
    • AnyITsolution.Services
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2018, 06:29:43 AM »

There’s another thread showing as list of tuning for mussettes

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=2576.0

My preferred is the Hohner corona iii -21 +26 just because I’m guessing that’s what my corsos came tuned to out of factory ...
Hohner Corso A/D x2, G/C, Corona II A/D/G from the 60s.
Hohner Pre Corona II BsEsAs,Club IV C/F Pre-War, Liliput C/F, Mignon I (G) Piano from the 30s, Kromatica III from the 60s harmonica. Hohner Kids I. Pearl Forum series 80s, Zildjian, Sabían, Wuhan cymbals. Ludwig snare 70s.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2018, 07:52:39 AM »

There’s another thread showing as list of tuning for mussettes

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?topic=2576.0

My preferred is the Hohner corona iii -21 +26 just because I’m guessing that’s what my corsos came tuned to out of factory ...
Ah..that's v good. Thanks.
BTW I recently tuned a Soprani Elite MMM in an Irish style, which was -9 +12, an offset recommended to the owner by Robert Rolston. It sounded very nice I have to say.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 07:56:07 AM by RogerT »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal