Discussions > Recordings and Videos

Streb recording set-up settings?

(1/3) > >>

Steve C.:
Hello Streb owners--

Attached is a quick and dirty sample of Cork March on Streb.  Mory MM dry.  A little reverb. Bass/treble balance about 50/50.

Can I change my set up/settings to make the recording sound better?  (can't fix my playing at the moment!)

It is mono, run from Streb mono line-out through the pre-amp mic line-in, phantom power on, gain at about 2 o'clock, level at about 3 o'clock, compression at 12 o'clock.  Attached to Mac via USB, iMovie file (.mov).

https://youtu.be/2kiGR901uXw

I mean, I know I can't sound like Clive, but the "fidelity" itself seems lacking....

Appreciate any pointers, regards,

Steve C.

Calum:
Seems like the noise floor is quite high.  Maybe figure out where that's coming from?

streb:
Turn the phantom power off! It is possible but unlikely that will apply 48V across the eMelodeon output electronics. Boom.

The output is also Line Out so you should be sending it into the CD or AUX or Line In input, not a MIC input. The eMelodeon is essentially an electronic keyboard.

Nicely played on the video btw. The noise is not that high at all really. I have a Xenyx too and they are good little mixers but not known for their ultra low noise mic preamps. Ya pays ya money etc.

The sound is fine given that the instrument is after all in essence a melodeon sample playback synthesiser. Maybe what it lacks if anything is more assertive bellows dynamics - a bit more "oomph". Remember that you are operating pressure sensors and not real reeds and they won't respond as smoothly at very low bellows pressure. Turn the mixer input down a bit and increase the output volume of the melodeon. You have headphones in so I assume the internal speakers are muted. If it gets too loud through the cans, set the melodeon internal amp to off in the Instrument menu and plug the headphones into the mixer. If it sounds too loud when you push/pull the bellows hard then turn the input level down a bit on the mixer.

Steve

george garside:
'fidelity', '  noise floor'  .'compression'  etc  etc. Much as I would like a streb  it sounds like I would need to go on a 12 month course just to understand  how to operate one as opposed to actualy playing tunes on it.  Same goes for other electonic digital boxes.  Why can't they just have  knobs for volume, treble, bass,  and perhaps  4 different tuning setups  eg DG,CF. BC, and if 3 row BCC#   and leave the rest to the skill of the player.  Or is it just me getting old!

george :-[

streb:

--- Quote from: george garside on February 09, 2018, 08:12:20 PM ---Why can't they just have  knobs for volume, treble, bass,  and perhaps  4 different tuning setups  eg DG,CF. BC, and if 3 row BCC#   and leave the rest to the skill of the player.
--- End quote ---

That is pretty much what it is. In fact the eMelodeon does not have treble and bass controls. Admittedly you do have to set it up the way you want it but after that it is just switch on and play.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version