Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leather Case for Box  (Read 1323 times)

Roger Howard

Leather Case for Box
« on: February 09, 2018, 05:13:44 PM »

I've just received a lovely new case for my Gaillard, made in leather, stiffened and padded, from Gilles Garneret. It wasn't cheap, but, given the cost of the box, I thought it was worth having an attractive, well-made case with a strap to go on a shoulder as well as a handle. The leather is quite substantial, and stiffer than a gig bag; and it's lined with the same sort of padding that you get in gig bags. It certainly should be waterproof in all but the wettest of conditions. Overall, I would say good protection for much-loved instrument.

Gilles has a website at http://www.anchesetcuirs.fr, and has been a pleasure to deal with. I don't know what his English is like, but communication with me has been prompt, friendly and business-like. The waiting time was about six months, but he delivered exactly when he said he would, at the price he quoted. There are plenty of photos of his work on the website, in a variety of designs, colours etc.

I'm posting this because I'm not aware of anyone else making box-specific cases in leather, so I thought it might be of interest. (Incidentally, I'm sure that someone like Simon, at http://leatherforfolkies.co.uk would be able to do something similar, if you approached him. He designed and made excellent cases for my pipes, and was great to deal with.)

I've no commercial interest in either enterprise, but I'm a very satisfied customer, and given the nature of one or two recent threads, I thought good products and service worth mentioning!
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Grape Ape

Re: Leather Case for Box
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 08:08:13 PM »

Ooh that is SHARP!

Chris Rayner

• Respected Sage
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »

Concert pitch, probably.
Elderly amateur musician hoping to stave off dementia by learning to play the melodeon.  Main instrument a Tommy, also D/G and G/C pokerworks,  a single row 2 stop Hohner, and a new addition to the free reedery, a rather splendid Paolo Soprani four voice 120 bass c-system chromatic button accordion.  Very shiny, very loud, and about the same size and weight as a small car.  Now I’ve traded me Benny with (ahem) a cash adjustment, to a three voice 60 bass Castagnari K3.

ACE

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 12:46:06 PM »

Beat up old gig bag for me. Nobody is going to look at it and think that looks as if it is worth stealing. Nice box but not for me.
Saltarelle Horizon, Dino mini, Lachenal g/d anglo
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal