Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the melodeon, looking for some input  (Read 6644 times)

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
Re: New to the melodeon, looking for some input
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2018, 12:53:12 PM »

Daddy Long Les provides a good afternoons tutor, free on Utube.  Cannot go wrong at the price!
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Steve C.

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2018, 12:55:11 PM »

GbH too, forgot to say...

Sebastian

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2018, 09:02:07 PM »

This melodeon is not set up with hardware for shoulder straps, but rather has a leather thumb strap.
Having read all the answers, I wanted (just for the record) to say that I prefer playing with the thumb strap alone and not to constrict myself with this leather harness thingies. So I guess, I'm the 0,66 % mentioned somewhere above.

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2018, 10:20:10 PM »

Be prepared to change your mind re straps once you start playing more complex tunes at speed. The box has to be as stable as possible. You may soon find that you suffer from thumb fatigue which distracts from playing. Personally, I prefer two straps with a back strap. Essential when playing stood up for dance sides, although many Morris musicians play with single strap even when stood up.

Sebastian

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2018, 11:37:48 PM »

Be prepared to change your mind re straps once you start playing more complex tunes at speed.
(Hm. Maybe you mistook me for the OP?)

About playing "more complex tunes at speed": I might be under the illusion that I would already do this. But I may be wrong, of course.

I don't want to repeat the thumb strap vs. shoulder straps discussion here. But I wanted to say that there is a choice. You don’t have to use shoulder straps. Shoulder straps are the majority position nowadays, but not the only one. One example why I prefer the thumb strap over the harness is that it allows for a better positioning of the box, a bit removed from the players body, so that one's right arm is in an ergonomically favourable playing position compared to two-straps playing. (This applies to a certain extent to playing with only one shoulder strap, too.)

This discussion will never lead to a definitive conclusion. I don't think I will change your mind. But be prepared that you won’t change my mind either. It’s a personal decision, and there are arguments for both sides.

Steve C.

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2018, 01:01:52 PM »

What always surprises me is how many players play sitting down. 

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2018, 01:49:15 PM »

Being able to play standing or seated wih the same straps is a useful skill to acquire.
I normally play with 2 straps when standing and put both straps over my right shoulder when seated. Works for me.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2018, 02:16:28 PM »

It doesn't really matter what I'm doing, but if at all possible, I prefer to do it sitting down. It's also another benefit of playing 1 rows (being smaller and lighter) that either sitting or standing doesn't make a great lot of difference. Mind you, I don't play for long periods unless I'm busking, and then an hour or so at a time is usually long enough anyway.
A little 1 row, in my limited experience, doesn't need to be steadily anchored, either; as others on here have suggested for the bigger beasts. I often play mine more like a concertina!
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2018, 04:07:18 PM »

It doesn't really matter what I'm doing, but if at all possible, I prefer to do it sitting down. .

The mind boggles.......
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2018, 05:15:51 PM »

Being able to play standing or seated wih the same straps is a useful skill to acquire.
I normally play with 2 straps when standing and put both straps over my right shoulder when seated. Works for me.

Good points. I realise I rarely practice tunes standing even though I normally play for dancing, stood up. With a solo concert spot coming soon - and playing the reserve melodeon which is heavier- it's time to remedy that, not least to make sure the straps are the correct length. Having the left strap come off the shoulder midway through a tricky tune passage is not good.

J
Old Bones Dance Band

george garside

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2018, 08:42:19 PM »

playing standing or sitting with same straps requires absolutely no acquired skill. With 2 carefully adjusted straps  its simply a question of sitting down or standing up  and getting on with it

george
author of DG tutor book "DG Melodeon a Crash Course for Beginners".

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2018, 10:09:48 PM »

playing standing or sitting with same straps requires absolutely no acquired skill. With 2 carefully adjusted straps  its simply a question of sitting down or standing up  and getting on with it

george
[/quote]

I didn't say it's difficult to do. The skill is in knowing it can be done and how to do it.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 10:11:45 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Martin P

• Respected Sage
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »

Apologies to Sebastian. I did think it was OP who had posted and my comments directed to OP. Still, we can all improve with practice and re-appraisal of technique.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal