Discussions > Instrument Makes and Models

James Amireaux Bazin - first American accordion maker c.1835

(1/2) > >>

triskel:
James Amireaux Bazin (1798-1883) was an important American free-reed instrument pioneer, and the first American accordion maker c.1835.

--- Quote from: pgroff on February 16, 2018, 02:49:21 PM ---... I have never seen a Bazin accordion but I remember you mentioned photos of one.

--- End quote ---

Now that I've found them, I've discovered I've got photos of TWO! (Courtesy of the guy who sold me my Faas in 2003.) Only they were printed In black and white, and there are way too few d.p.i., so they're nothing like as clear as one might wish. :(

The source of the first, "sgnd James A. Bazin", is an antiques advertisement or price guide (perhaps from the Maine Antique Digest, March 1996, but the name of the publication is unclear). It's top-right in my first scan:

The second one is of very similar appearance and stamped "J. L. Bates [Joseph L. Bates, musical instrum'ts, 6 Court], Boston" - and Bazin is known to have made instruments for several Boston musical instrument dealers/makers, like Bates. It was sold on eBay, 20th February 1999, but I don't know what the final price was:

pgroff:
Many thanks! Don't think I've ever seen one quite like these two, but it's great to have a search image.

triskel:
The "clapper" wind-key, without a surround/socle, is typical of early 1830's French accordions. They're very rare like that, but I have several of them.

Andy in Vermont:
Do you think these are flutinas, I.e. tonic on draw instead of press?

Pearse Rossa:
An interesting article here on what is possibly the "World's oldest accordion".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version