Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacing the favourite 2.4 D/G  (Read 2554 times)

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
Replacing the favourite 2.4 D/G
« on: February 19, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »

Help ! I've been feeling down lately as the favourite box (the old Pastourelle 2 made by Serenellini) is unwell, and having taking it to the docs twice over the past year I think it might be time to replace it (so at least I have a close substitute when it isn't available).It just doesn't sound good. Madness to overcome sadness.
So, how to find the ideal replacement ? 3.7kg, two voice, 12 bass, thirds stop, esoteric layout as current - but with fifth extra button. I've already got a Dony which I like, but it's bigger and quite a bit heavier than the Pastourelle - and the layout is confusingly different.
I don't think a new Pastourelle will make me happy. I wonder about a Loffet 2.5 - advice and comments welcome...and other suggestions ?..
(And I need to ask an expert to do further work on the Pastourelle - I'm sure it can be cured !)

J
Old Bones Dance Band

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
Re: Replacing the favourite 2.4 D/G
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 01:58:41 PM »

How about this one? It seems to fit some of your requirements.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,21460.0.html
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »

"I'm sure it can be cured "

I'd be utterly astonished if it wasn't curable. Is anything actually terminal, when it comes to melodeons?

(If you really think it's beyond redemption, just send it along to me; I'm sure I could find a use for it!)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 02:17:52 PM by Edward Jennings »
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 02:12:50 PM »

Or.... a 12 bass *2 row* such as a Castagnari Fazzy?
Just an alternative thought - good luck in your search!
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Andy in Vermont

• Mélodie
    • Melodeon Minutes (blog)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 02:26:42 PM »

It sounds like it just needs a competent repairer or tuner.
I can’t imagine a box just “goes bad” unless treated poorly like left in a damp environment etc.

Julian S

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2018, 03:06:20 PM »

How about this one? It seems to fit some of your requirements.
http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,21460.0.html

Interesting - hadn't considered it as thought that it would be too heavy - but it's actually lighter than a Dony.  And the layout has interesting possibilities. Thanks !
And thank you, Edward, for your kind offer of a home for the salty pasty. (:) I don't think I'm at that stage yet - although I am wondering about who should have the melodeons when I am offered the statutory accordion down below >:E
Yes, I'm sure the beloved instrument can be fixed. It's had a lot of use recently, including a trip to the Alps where it got exposed to wide temperature and humidity variations which can't have helped. With a few gigs coming up, I can't rely on using it so finding a substitute would be good.
One lesson of course -if you have a box with an unusual layout this means that you might have to relearn fingering for some tunes if that box is no longer playable...

J
Old Bones Dance Band

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 03:32:53 PM »

"I am wondering about who should have the melodeons when I am offered the statutory accordion down below"

Let's hope that that won't be for a good while yet!

As for the fingering difficulties, is it really a problem? Unskilled as I am (and with not much experience of differences) I haven't found it a problem with my Frankenstein boxes, as yet.

Anyway, good luck with your search.
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Graham Spencer

• MAD as a wet Hohner........
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 06:39:13 PM »

As a fellow owner of a similar vintage Pastourelle 2, I sympathise entirely. Nothing short of  a cataclysmic event would part me from mine.

I can't conceive of anything incurable that could make it sound "not too good". I completely concur with the advice to get it to a really good boxdoctor. Mine used to be looked after by Nils Nilsson, then when he sort of retired by Rob Beecroft of Birmingham Accordion Centre, and since I've moved to Cyprus by me - talk about a learning curve and shoes to fill!  Anyway, I have every confidence that your Saltarelle's ills are eminently curable - mine's still squeezing along like a good 'un after 30 or so years.

Graham
Among others, Saltarelle Pastourelle II D/G; Hohner 4-stop 1-rows in C & G; assorted Hohners; 3-voice German (?) G/C of uncertain parentage; lovely little Hlavacek 1-row Heligonka; B♭/E♭ Koch. Newly acquired G/C Hohner Viktoria. Also Fender Jazz bass, Telecaster, Stratocaster, Epiphone Sheraton, Charvel-Jackson 00-style acoustic guitar, Danelectro 12-string and other stuff..........

Squeezing in the Cyprus sunshine

byteofthecherry

• Good talker
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 06:54:57 PM »

"I am wondering about who should have the melodeons when I am offered the statutory accordion down below"

Let's hope that that won't be for a good while yet!

As for the fingering difficulties, is it really a problem? Unskilled as I am (and with not much experience of differences) I haven't found it a problem with my Frankenstein boxes, as yet.

Anyway, good luck with your search.
I agree..coming from the Bb/Eb world(brass & woodwind) what's the problem..different keys/different fingerings..simples..however it requires 'application'..I also am unskilled on the melodion, however I'm working  on C/F../D/G..Eb/Bb..so 'woodshed' scales(patterns) & chords, being diatonic it's easier already..on Bb tenor sax  I live in the world of many sharps.. so guitarists can have an easy life..they never return the favour >:E
1 X Corona II(ADG)..1X Early 'Darth Vader' Corona IIIR (Eb/Bb/Ab)..2 X Erica(DG/CF)..1X Club VictoriaX(CF)..1 X Club II(Bb/Eb) 4 X Liliput (DG(red)/BbEb(purple)/GC(purple)..2 X preciosa(D/G(green)/Bb/Eb(Grey)+ lots of guitars/banjos/saxes/brass/synthy 'stuff'

Baron Collins-Hill

• Regular debater
  • Maine, USA
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 08:19:19 PM »

How about a Castagnari Benny, 2 voice, 12 bass, available with thirds stop, and a full third row for some extra options?
D/G/Acc Castagnari Big 18 (full Dutch reversals)
Mandolin & Tenor Guitarist: Velocipede
Free Online Mandolin Lessons: MandoLessons

Mutt

• Melodiate
  • Good talker
  • D/G Saltarelle Infeno, D/G Club IIb, A/D Pokerwork
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 08:56:20 PM »

I can’t imagine a box just “goes bad” unless treated poorly like left in a damp environment etc.

Sadly, I have found that a box can go bad.  They get in with bad company.  At first it's just skipping school and hanging out in the alley smoking cigarettes, but before you know it, they're in over their heads with a French drugs cartel.
 :'(
George Knight
Anchorage, Alaska
Yes, brrrrrrr!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »

got a Dony which I like, but it's bigger and quite a bit heavier than the Pastourelle - and the layout is confusingly different.
J

When faced with a similar dilemma I reconciled it by making the layouts as alike as possible. Didn't cost that much and freed my brain up to play.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

arty

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 10:34:37 PM »

I bought a Dony just a few months ago and I am absolutely over the moon with it. It is certainly heavier than my other box, (a Laura), but I soon got used to the extra weight and it is no problem. The funny thing is, because it is heavier, it is more stable on my lap and I think I play it better as a result.
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

Guy

• Not quite enough melodeons....
    • Cats Claw
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 11:18:18 PM »

I think that what you're looking for is similar to my search. As far as I'm concerned, one of Bernard Loffet's instruments would be a perfect step forward. I've been playing one now for several years, and I think the playability for ceilidh work is just brilliant. After all, Bernard does mostly play for dancing, so he knows what's needed...

Over the years I've had a Pastourelle 2 and 3, and two Morys....all lovely boxes, and all sounded beautiful in their own way. However, I did sell the last Mory to buy the Loffet 2.5.

I think they are lighter and very responsive....nice boxes!
Guy, in South Wales

Cats Claw, http://www.cats-claw.co.uk

Julian S

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2018, 11:51:47 AM »

Thanks for the comments everyone. Quite a bit of food for thought - and consideration of budget as well ! Maybe I should have dropped by Mr Loffet whilst we passed through Brittany last week...and trying a Benny could also be good.
First step has got to be sorting out the problems with the Pastourelle - and maybe whether changing the Dony layout is worthwhile. Pros and cons there.
And as for the box going to the bad - it could be that overindulgence whilst away in the Aosta valley in Northern Italy for two weeks could have had an adverse effect on not just me... :||: :|glug

J
Old Bones Dance Band
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal