Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokerwork painting  (Read 6575 times)

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
Pokerwork painting
« on: February 21, 2018, 04:47:23 PM »

Has anyone refreshed, improved or even replaced the paintwork on a Hohner Pokerwork? The gold colour has almost disappeared from my old battered box. I was thinking of spraying brass coloured paint over the existing finish, then rubbing it off the high parts with a mild abrasive  to leave the black high spots again. I wouldn't expect it to look super-duper, but neat and clean would be a big improvement  I would consider complete change of finish e.g. celluloid or even paint, but the embossing looks very difficult to work around or remove.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
Re: Pokerwork painting
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 04:51:30 PM »

Just enjoy it as it is, wearing its history proudly.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »

Cue Lester  (:)

Edit: But Theo is right.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 06:06:37 PM »

Cue Lester  (:)

Edit: But Theo is right.

Theo is right but I have refinished one pokerwork by stripping all the hardware of the casework sanding them down then respraying with Halfords car primer and satin black paint from rattle cans. Looks nice with replacement chrome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Ej1wxUugk

folkloristmark

• street entertainers
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 06:19:54 PM »

I saw one were all the powker work had been highted ,german folk style, with colour and it looked very nice
Mark Taylor
Folkloristmark

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 11:10:28 AM »

Just enjoy it as it is, wearing its history proudly.

In General I would agree with Theo, the natural signs of wear age, and use are akin to the "Patina" that develops on antique furniture and are part of the instruments history, However having had two melodeons, an Erica and a Pokerwork stolen over the years,( both sadly at Folk Festivals ) I can see why it might be advantageous to render otherwise generic looking boxes, such as pokerworks a bit more distinctive, hopefully making them less prone to theft. I have in the past veneered one pokerwork in a nice subtle mahogany veneer, and also painted another white for morris use !! which made them look sufficiently different enough to hopefully deter possible theft. .....It also made them easier to find in a room full of identical boxes at morris ales Etc.!!!    Another rather vicarious benefit was that after I sold the Mahogany one, I saw it over a period of years turn up at various events and was able to follow its progress from owner to owner, its last appearance was about 5 years ago at a folk music/song session in Kent.
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 11:32:37 AM »

Thanks for the interesting replies so far. I fully agree that leaving the box 'as is' has its advantages, but this box is more like a rusty Mini with red oxide primer highlights than an MGB with chalky paint, if you get my drift. It is just, well... ugly.
I like the Penguin of Death jobbie a lot. I quite like the Pokerwork with colour highlighted flowers, but that needs gold paint on the design in the first place. My box is just black and rust with a couple of gold patches at the moment. I also like the idea of black celluloid but it looks like a gamble- I haven't heard of any positive amateur efforts yet. I didn't realise that the factories use scrapers and buffing wheels to achieve their finish.
 Hi HenryPiper
Regarding veneering, can you give me some tips please:
-Did you remove the old finish, and how;
-What glue did you use;
-How did you finish the edges, specifically the top edge surrounding the grille.
Many thanks
Tiposx

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2018, 01:25:22 PM »

I once sanded one down and used a green wood stain on it.

It looked quite good, but I wouldn't do it now...I quite like the lived in look of my boxes...
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2018, 02:22:11 PM »

Personally, I prefer things, including melodeons, to age gently and show their history, especially if I've had them from new.

Of course, "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", and if "battered" ain't "beautiful", then I guess some exterior refurbishing is acceptable if it doesn't mess up the instrument. With the exception of Lester's objets d'art painted boxes, many of the paint jobs I've seen are just awful. In fact, they make a rusty Mini with oxide primer look pretty darned good. I have also seen one which was decorated by a very competent artist, and which would have looked good in the hands of one of the figures on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, but was rather out of place in a less sacred setting.

On the other hand, there have been posted on here some fine examples of veneering and inlaying on old Hohner boxes, though I haven't noticed any lately. I seem to recall that a chap in Germany (Fraton?) who sells restored boxes and is in association with Kay Albrecht, did one or two. I quite like them, but they do have the curious effect of making something that originally looked quintessentially German in design more like Italian or French boxes.

Henry Piper

• Respected Sage
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »

Thanks for the interesting replies so far. I fully agree that leaving the box 'as is' has its advantages, but this box is more like a rusty Mini with red oxide primer highlights than an MGB with chalky paint, if you get my drift. It is just, well... ugly.
I like the Penguin of Death jobbie a lot. I quite like the Pokerwork with colour highlighted flowers, but that needs gold paint on the design in the first place. My box is just black and rust with a couple of gold patches at the moment. I also like the idea of black celluloid but it looks like a gamble- I haven't heard of any positive amateur efforts yet. I didn't realise that the factories use scrapers and buffing wheels to achieve their finish.
 Hi HenryPiper
Regarding veneering, can you give me some tips please:
-Did you remove the old finish, and how;
-What glue did you use;
-How did you finish the edges, specifically the top edge surrounding the grille.
Many thanks
Tiposx
Hi Tiposx
I taped up the chrome corners with masking tape for protection, then sanded off the remaining black and gold lacquer until flat, applied the Previously cut to size veneer, using ordinary White P.V.A woodworking glue, Weighting each side in turn with a flat board and weights allowing overnight to dry thoroughly. then carefully blended the veneer panels into the chrome corners to avoid a "Ridge". the top edges around the grille were covered with thin strips of veneer cut slightly oversize but terminating at the metal corners, then sanded down once dry to blend into the veneered sides. after that it was just a case of sanding and many coats of satin aerosol lacquer. The sides were finally masked of again, and the metal corners given several coats of Gloss black auto paint for a Contrast.
Henry
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 02:42:54 PM by Henry Piper »
From Ottery St Mary Devon. Currently Playing Dino Baffetti BP2 in D/G, Hohner Student 1 P.A conversion  in D/G,  Hohner 3515 Pre-Pokerwork in A/D,   2 row "Beaver Brand" in Bb/Eb, Hohner Pre- Erica in G/C .  Single row permanent 4 voice, 4 bass in C from old Hohner single row and bits of a cheap Cajun box !!,

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 03:56:55 PM »

I get the urge every now and again to try hydrographics on a box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enFSoiCo-lA

exiletaff

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 07:18:26 PM »

Won't it make the reeds a bit rusty???????????????

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 08:28:52 PM »

I once sanded one down and used a green wood stain on it.

It looked quite good, but I wouldn't do it now...I quite like the lived in look of my boxes...
Sounds similar to what I did, mine is a presswood and it was painted black, you could not see the presswood design. I stripped it, but I could not get all the black off in spots so I decided to stain then poly it. I like that the design now shows through.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16508.0;attach=16052;image
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:55:00 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 08:36:40 PM »

"http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16508.0;attach=16052;image"

How does your box stay together without bellows pins? (It's beautiful, by the way, and I'm extremely jealous!)
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 09:01:41 PM »

Sounds similar to what I did, mine is a presswood and it was painted black, you could not see the presswood design. I striped it, but I could not get all the black off in spots so I decided to stain then poly it. I like that the design now shows through.

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16508.0;attach=16052;image

That looks very pretty.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 09:27:11 PM »

"http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=16508.0;attach=16052;image"

How does your box stay together without bellows pins? (It's beautiful, by the way, and I'm extremely jealous!)
Thanks Edward , It does have pins they just weren't in when I took this shot as I was still working on it.
This is the box that inspired me to take up playing, my Papa gave it to my brothers and I, I was the only one that had interest at the time and took it with me when I left home. It was a bit of a wreck and out of tune, I finally decided it was time to fix it after my kids were raised and I needed something to do :)

Thanks Greg, it certainly looks and sounds better than it did when I got it.
Here's what it looked like. This is a picture of a picture so it looks odd.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:43:39 PM by boxcall »
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

rileycat

• Respected Sage
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 09:59:52 PM »

Still have my original 1972 stripped and blacked then 'treated' to a fairground design from Anderton & Rowlands Dodgems!  Wasn't 'til I'd finished, that I realised I'd done the whole thing (with Humbrol craft pots) upside down - still love it, tho'!  Never had a problem finding it amongst the debris of apres-Morris when 'tired and emotional'! ;)

Gary

• Respected Sage
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 10:05:47 PM »

Thanks to a fine friend  Sue ,many years ago my pokerwork has the flowers picked out in several colours,as you have suggested it does stand out.

Steve C.

• Erica, Laura, Morse Anglo
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2018, 01:55:04 PM »

"WOW".  I am chasing after my Pokerwork, seems to be hiding from me....
Located in Central North Carolina, USA; credit for picture: livingplanet.ca

Nick Collis Bird

• Been squeezing melodeons for over 48 years (badly)
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2018, 06:11:41 AM »

"WOW".  I am chasing after my Pokerwork, seems to be hiding from me....

Perhaps you had it Hydro printed in camouflage  >:E
Has anyone heard of the song. “ Broken Alarm-clock Blues” ? It starts   “I woke up this Afternoon”
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal