Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pokerwork painting  (Read 6576 times)

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
Re: Pokerwork painting
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2018, 08:20:27 AM »

But...if you do want to refresh the gold on a PW, is there an effective way of getting the gold paint neatly where it should be, leaving the underlying dark colour also neatly as it should be? Or is it just careful application with a small brush and a large wizened beard of experience?

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2018, 09:03:54 AM »

I've just had a look at my 4 stop and realised that, contrary to what I'd thought, it's the black which stands proud of the gold background.
I wonder if anyone has tried refinishing by way of a "printer's block" sort of method? Although the height of the black is very small against the gold, I'm convinced that someone used to hand printing could devise a suitable apparatus for application, and recommend a suitable substance for the actual colour.
Or, and I'd thought of this whilst imagining fitting a 4 spoon growl box, take a hi-res photo of some good Pokerwork and get a vinyl sign maker to reproduce it in vinyl. (I know it wouldn't be kosher, but it would look OK when applied to a sanded-down surface!) 
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2018, 06:52:37 PM »

I'd rather fancy sanding back and spraying on a guitar-like sunburst finish - rather like some of the colour options from Fino Baffetti.

Rob.

Huw Adamson

• Good talker
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 10:12:23 PM »

I've repainted mine entirely, and would be happy to mention what materials I used if it'd be helpful for anyone.
And the sharks they played melodeon

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 08:02:22 AM »

As the original poster - after weighing up all the ideas on here I didn't go for a repaint. Instead I replaced the grille,  corner pieces, bellows pins and some other bits that were completely rusty. The new parts are very shiny and added up to almost as much as the box cost me in the first place. It does look very handsome indeed now though.

Tiposx

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »

Here's Edward's two penn'orth, as usual a day late and a dollar short!

I came across this during an entirely unconnected search, and thought it might come in handy for you artistically inclined melodeon painters out there:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Danya-B-Accordion-Drying-Rack/222818598040?epid=7016280640&hash=item33e105fc98:g:GOsAAOSw5KtackAv
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

invadm

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2018, 10:35:13 PM »

a single row poker work striped down to bare wood and waiting for final decision for finishing, still unsure how/what to use..oil and wax or wood dye and wax,or polish/varnish..any ideas ?   

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 12:02:51 AM »

It could be any of the ways you suggest, or as a paint job ( probably enamel).
Stain would also be nice , you could get a stain poly combination and have it done with one application.
I'm not sure about wax / polish , seems like it would be better to have a harder finish.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 07:18:37 AM »

Tru-Oil  (gunstock oil) gives a good finish and can easily be applied by hand. It gives a light amber hue.Use several thin coats. I use it on my home built guitars.

Rog

• Repair and tuning in Hants
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 07:34:00 AM »

You could even insert a bit of inlay banding. (:)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 08:21:37 AM »

a single row poker work striped down to bare wood and waiting for final decision for finishing, still unsure how/what to use..oil and wax or wood dye and wax,or polish/varnish..any ideas ?

Try Rustins Polyurethane Varnish. It is very hard wearing indeed so will protect your relatively soft Hohner wood and yet look very good. Available in matt, satin and gloss.
https://www.rustins.ltd/rustins/our-products/indoor/polyurethane-clear-varnish

I think this is what Theo uses on Emmanuel Pariselle's melodeon building courses, or it might be this (can't exactly remember sorry) ...
https://www.rustins.ltd/rustins/our-products/indoor/plastic-coating-hardener-gloss
...but no doubt he will be along dreckly to advise.

You can also apply any Rustins varnish over wood stain, so you could have an additional option of colour.
https://www.rustins.ltd/rustins/our-products/wood-preparation/wood-dye-solvent-based-
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 08:49:09 AM »

It’s Rustins Plastic coating that Emmanuel uses.  It’s not so good on softer woods.  I’ve used it on a pine kitchen table and on hardwood worktops. After about 3 years the finish on the table looks tired, but the worktops still look great.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

invadm

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 10:10:51 AM »

You could even insert a bit of inlay banding. (:)
this is one of the thing I wanted to do but I have no wood work experiences or the tool for the job,I assume some cutting/channelling required to compensate for inlay thickness how do I do that?

and Tru-Oil  (gunstock oil) is it hard wearing ,long lasting stuff ?
I had a go at french polishing an old club box to see how it goes and failed miserably  :-[  I had to strip off all of it so I have 2 potential boxes

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 10:40:56 AM »

This stuff is hard wearing.
https://hardwareonlinestore.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=3688&virtuemart_category_id=14306&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1-fVBRC3ARIsAIifYOPrqKxjm_D9AizJoVX3fJjEPVa61bhA29jX8z-EGW4aFdfO_EXvbmsaAsmPEALw_wcB&ppcsclkid=izRQugIhvJyo&ppcstrkid=1332290283&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqitnahs

Also easy to apply (rub on with soft cloth) although best results when you apply several coats to build up the finish which requires light sanding or rub down with 000 fine steel wool between coats.
This is really a formula of wiping varnish with a little tung oil in the mixture.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Andy Next Tune

• aka Andy Wooles
  • Melodeon with Accidentals? Make a PI Claim!!!
    • www.shavethedonkey.co.uk
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 03:41:55 PM »

A little over a year ago,  I stripped the burnt and battered celluloid off an old red c/c# Erica.

After much sanding, I sealed the wood with multiple layers of Liberon Finishing Oil (as used by Rees on my Windjammer) and final polished it using Liberon Wax Polish Black Bison. Both bought online from Axminster.co.uk.

It was then Octave tuned by Microbot. There's a pic of the box here - https://soundcloud.com/microbot-2/project-octavia-2

Great looking box with a lovely sound :)
Andy, from the now ex-County Palatine of Cheshire

Caring for a European community of melodeons from France, Italy, Germany, Wales and Suffolk!

-Y-

• Handry 18 (G/C), Mélodie (D), Club IIb (A/D)
    • a database of 400 or more melodeons here
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:30 PM »

I've repainted, although roughly, my Erica after its re-tuning into a c#/d. I painted it in lime green, except for the pallets that are purple. Never bothered with a finish, I don't use it much. When I have the time I should send some pictures (the box also has a metal rod with some foam on it to limit the action of the pallets and therefore reduce the noise).

invadm

« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2018, 11:37:20 AM »

I have just ordered a small bottle of Tru-Oil (gunstock oil) and i'll see how this goes- this is new to me- ..it looked easy to use on you tube videos and once dried looked good too..didn't know it's used on guitars too. after failed French polishing keeping my fingers cross this will work. 

Tiposx

• Durham in England
  • Respected Sage
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2018, 02:54:24 PM »

Many home guitar builders use Tru-oil on guitar necks. I think it is hard wearing in that situation - l don't know how well it stands up to belt buckles etc. It is very easy to repair and build up a patina. A bit like a well used gunstock I suppose.... it is also easy to remove with the appropriate solvent. I can't remember what I have used, possibly meths.

Stotty

• Stotty
  • Regular debater
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2018, 11:41:24 PM »

I saw this thread a few weeks ago and I have since found a couple of photos I took of a pokerwork that had been decorated by a chap I think is called John who plays for at a couple of morris teams in the Grimsby/Scunthorpe area.  I'm pretty sure he had done all of the "poker work" (pyrography?) and painting himself.  Very distinctive.

Andrius

• Regular debater
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2018, 02:28:52 PM »

not exactly painting, but Pokerwork modification to Corona II on ebay
New celluloid and new paintings(?) on it.
Koch Bb/Eb 12b 3v : Koch A/D 8b 2v : Koch C/F 12b 2v : Hohner Erica C/F 8b 2v : Hohner Erika C/F 2.4 row 8b 2v : Hohner early pre-Corona F/Bb/Eb 12b 2v: Hohner Liliput 2.4 row Bb/Eb 8b 2v : Hohner Club III BS C/F 2.7 row 8b 3v : Galotta D/G 8b 2v : Meinel & Herold G/C/F 16b 2v : Unkn G/C 8b 2v : Petersburg accordion F/Bb/Eb 16b 3v: Petersburg accordion G/C/F 16b 2v : Bandoneon Alfred Arnold 128 tone 2v : Bandoneon Wilhelm König 144 tone 2 v
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal