Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bernard Loffet  (Read 7544 times)

Prestidigitator

• Respected Sage
  • Saltarelle, Hohner, Oakwood Baffetti
Re: Sad news…
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2018, 07:53:57 AM »

Dreadful news. I enjoyed his patience and great advice when he was building an instrument for me a few years ago.

Julian S

• D/G Pastourelle 2, Dony, Pokerwork, G/C Pariselle
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2018, 08:01:33 AM »

Shocking and really sad news. The melodeon playing world is truly diminished in so many ways.
 I think I first saw Bernard play at Gennetines years ago - a truly memorable holiday when I also saw Stephane Delicq play. Bernard's enthusiasm for Breton music and dance infected me from then on...no need to comment again on the wonderful music of M. Delicq.
Meeting and learning from Bernard at Hebden Bridge a few years ago was another great experience for me and I will certainly be playing something in memory of him at the next session -I might just take my shoes off as well, as he did whilst playing for dance.
Sincere condolences to his family.

J

Old Bones Dance Band

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2018, 01:54:12 PM »

What a truly sad loss. Bernard was a superb musician with an infectious enthusiasm for Breton music which he transmitted to all who knew him. I was privileged to have played with him on several occasions at the Panards Festival and also in Brittany, having visited his workshop in Caudan on a couple of occasions. He taught me a lot about Breton music and always did so with that enigmatic half-smile on his face.

My fondest memory of him is when he tapped me on the shoulder in the Social Club at Mytholmroyd during one of several Panards Festivals that he headlined and said "We are on in ten minutes. Fetch your accordion and take your shoes and socks off." This was the first I had heard of this! He had decided, without giving us prior notice that he wanted myself and two other Panards musicians to play with him, barefoot in the middle of the dance floor. It was a magical experience and typical of a lovely man who wanted to share his love of playing Breton music with as many people as possible.

Rest in Peace my friend. The world (not just the melodeon world) will be a poorer place for your passing.
Bob
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2018, 08:40:09 PM »

Sorry to hear this sad news, I never had the pleasure of meeting Bernard , hearing him play or playing one of his boxes.
I can certainly relate to being in touch with the ground or grounded and barefoot, really there's nothing better!!
Thinking of His family and friends during this difficult time.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

JimC

Bernard Loffet
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »

I'm very sad to post news of the passing away of the breton melodeon maker and dance musician Bernard Loffet. Here is a link with a brief report in the regional Breton newspaper. http://www.letelegramme.fr/morbihan/lorient/necrologie-l-accordeoniste-bernard-loffet-31-03-2018-11908719.php?cx_tag=contextual&cx_navSource=CxLireAussi&cx_artPos=0#cxrecs_s

Below is a translation of the hommage to Bernard by luthier Pascal Cranga referred to in the article (taken from the 'Dansez Francais' facebook page).

My friend Bernard loffet went away, without a sound, he set fire to a dance floor, all alone, barefoot, in the middle of the floor, with his accordion of many dancers.
Bernard left us. A Self-taught craftsman, he forged himself and, with perseverance, he managed to make his accordéons recognized throughout the world. Curious about everything, this breton adoption, learned the breton language and was passionate about all these traditions. Pilot, he liked to fly over this gulf of morbihan that he loved so much. I remember these journeys in Italy for many years in the kingdom of des to discover, at the turn of a street, a craftsman with fantastic knowledge and who was passionate about it. Bernard was my master in sound or he excelled. With Him, we set up the sound spirit of the great ball of Europe. How many nights we spent together at the bedside of an amp that didn't want to give a voice anymore. Bernard lived at night and day. Often after a busy day in his atelier workshop, he worked in his electronics laboratory very late in the night to improve a mixing console, invent a microphone or develop a sound system. Generous, Bernard liked to convey what he had had so much trouble discovering. I think of his workers and the people he trained and who now are craftsmen. You had also obtained for your workshop, the label of living heritage, a state label targeting companies with rare know-how. You will terribly miss your 4 daughters and to us, who just lost a friend, a musician with great talent, a great defender of breton music... Bernard, my friend, I miss you already...

ganderbox

• Melodeons from Brittany, Italy, Germany* and Leeds
    • www.choughedtobits.co.uk
Re: Bernard Loffet
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2018, 10:53:28 AM »

This is the official announcement.

http://avis-deces.letelegramme.fr/avis-deces/bernard-loffet/53283717

He was only 52.
Pauline from Cornwall

*  including a customised Hohner Club from Cornwall (and very nice it is too!).

stevejay

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2018, 02:10:34 PM »

I had the opportunity to purchase a petit from Bernard, and he was helpful on every aspect of the purchase right down to delivery.
Many of the tunes I play (and I'm sure many other players), were from his comprehensive website. I even used his information to fit straps properly.

Like the other poster, I wish I had been able to hang onto one of his accordions, the petit with the stop for the thirds. It was beautiful to look at, and tuned well, and had the perfect sound for the Breton tunes he demonstrated on the website. When I wanted to purchase from him, he was extremely patient waiting for me to decide on what I wanted.

I hope his family is ok.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 04:43:54 PM by stevejay »

Roger Howard

G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2018, 10:35:24 AM »

Hello all, from the sidelines.
Although I'm still not playing, I did pick up my melodeon yesterday to write a tune in memory of Bernard Loffet. I had scant connection with him, just a couple of emails, but used his site widely. So, in thanks, here is a Mazurka (at least it was when it left my fingers). Someone else will have to do a recording if anyone wants to hear it as I'm not able to play for long enough to get back into shape. It's for GC.
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Chris Ryall

• "doc 3-row"
  • French Interpreter
  • Wirral UK
    • Chris Ryall
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2018, 11:12:00 AM »

So sad, he was too young for this. My deep sympathies to Cathy, whom a lot of us know from her time in UK. :-\
  _       _    _      _ 

arty

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2018, 11:51:43 AM »

Hello all, from the sidelines.
Although I'm still not playing, I did pick up my melodeon yesterday to write a tune in memory of Bernard Loffet. I had scant connection with him, just a couple of emails, but used his site widely. So, in thanks, here is a Mazurka (at least it was when it left my fingers). Someone else will have to do a recording if anyone wants to hear it as I'm not able to play for long enough to get back into shape. It's for GC.

That sounds nice, in my head Pete - I’ll have a go at it. I like the time signature, it reminds me of “Les Amities”.
I do hope you are finding some relief from your tinnitus. I was thinking about you the other day, when the national news reported on the viola player who successfully claimed against an orchestra for his hearing loss, after years of sitting in front of the brass section.
Take care Pete
Pre-Pokerwork C/F, Castagnari Laura G/C, Beltuna Sara 3 A/D, Castagnari Sander Special D/G

playandteach

• Currently a music teacher in a high school.
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2018, 07:49:05 PM »

Thought it wouldn't hurt to have a quick go at playing the piece for Bernard, so here it is - just the plain tune once through. Not trying to subvert thread into being about my music or my playing, so perhaps it might be best to keep supportive comments for another time.
Pieds Nus
Serafini R2D2 GC, Serafini GC accs 18 bass

Roger Howard

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2018, 10:26:11 PM »

Thank you. I'm sure we all understand the sentiment. A lovely moment.

R
G/C Gaillard 2 row, 3 voice, D/G Lilly, D/G Pariselle 2.6 row, Preciosa Bb/Eb.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2018, 02:38:05 PM »

He was a huge influence for me and his two recordings are a part of my blueprint on how to do Breton music (a great love of mine) on the box.

A short piece about those recordings was literally the very first article of my blog in 2011. https://accordeonaire.com/2011/01/30/bernard-loffet-recordings/

Still very sad.
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

Bob Ellis

• Hero?....Where's my medal, then?
  • Ain't I cute?
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2018, 10:11:58 AM »

I presume, Gary, that the two CD's you mentioned are Moteur! (2005) and Action! (2008), both of which are excellent. However, you, and others, may not be aware that he made another, more recent CD with Yves Leblanc called Eu avant-deux!
Bob in beautiful Wensleydale, Les Panards Dansants, Crook Morris and the Loose Knit Band.
Clément Guais 3-row D/G/acc.; Castagnari 1914 D/G; Karntnerland Steirische 3-row G/C/F; Ellis Pariselle 2.6-row D/G/acc.; Gabbanelli Compact 2-row D/G with lots of bling, pre-war Hohner Bb/F; Acadian one-row in D.

Gary P Chapin

• L'Accordéonaire
  • We are all the Free Reed Liberation Orchestra
    • l'Accordéonaire
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2018, 02:03:14 PM »

I was NOT aware!
Read the l'Accordéonaire French music blog: http://accordeonaire.com/
The Bal Folk Tune Book Project: https://accordeonaire.com/bal-folk-tune-book-project/
The Free Reed Liberation Orchestra: https://accordeonaire.com/the-free-reed-liberation-orchestra/

RickC.

• Regular debater
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2018, 10:52:46 PM »

Very sad indeed. Had been hoping to meet him next year as part of tentatively planned trip to Brittany.

So had I :(
Hohner Trichord II, Mengascini B/C, Castagnari Lilly C#/D, Castagnari Studio A/D
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal