Discussions > News and Events

Sessions in UK

(1/5) > >>

WestOz:
Prompted by Smiley's inquiry about sessions in UK, I came across this site:
http://www.uksessions.net/index.php
No doubt Melnetters are aware of many more sessions - it would be good if they could add them to the site. If you add session information, note it here, implying "melodeon-friendly"!

malcolmbebb:
While welcoming the idea, sessions are pretty volatile. Very much at the whim of pub landlords, so keeping up to date can be a challenge.

Helena Handcart:
There's actually so much missing from that that I wonder if it is worth updating - most of the Surrey session scene and almost the entirety of the Sussex sessions is missing. Also the site is rather old fashioned - makes me wonder if it is still being actively maintained?  Search rankings may also be an issue - obviously typing 'folk sessions in the UK' returns it as a first hit but I think musicians are more likely to search for folk sessions in a specific town or county - trying some searches like  that returned local sites but not this one.

A possible alternative is this - I have no connection with the site, in fact I haven't even listed the session I run (whoops, will sort that)

Thrupenny Bit:
Agree with Malcolm here.
We have an online website for all things in our county, and that has a sessions page.
Even locally it's not a reliable source sadly, because as Malcolm says, it can change in a twinkle..... Or at the whim of a landlord.

Ah as I type, another thought from Helena. Her link to another website gives a sparse and inaccurate version of sessions in my direct locality.
Such a site is an excellent idea in theory but in reality is difficult to keep up to date and accurate.
Apologies for my negativity.
Q

Helena Handcart:

--- Quote from: Thrupenny Bit on February 24, 2018, 11:02:23 AM ---Agree with Malcolm here.
We have an online website for all things in our county, and that has a sessions page.
Even locally it's not a reliable source sadly, because as Malcolm says, it can change in a twinkle..... Or at the whim of a landlord.

Ah as I type, another thought from Helena. Her link to another website gives a sparse and inaccurate version of sessions in my direct locality.
Such a site is an excellent idea in theory but in reality is difficult to keep up to date and accurate.
Apologies for my negativity.
Q

--- End quote ---

I don't think that's negative, just realistic. The local listings pages tend to be more accurate but even then can change. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version