Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie looking to buy. Feedback please!! Menghini CG vs Panther  (Read 5734 times)

Kris Miskim

Newbie looking to buy. Feedback please!! Menghini CG vs Panther
« on: February 27, 2018, 07:36:59 PM »

Hi all.
I'm interested in learning to play, like my grand- and great-grandparents did! I am an absolute beginner, tho I know a bit about chords from tinkering on guitar and piano. I've been looking at the HOHNER PANTHER, but have read that 3 rows could be a bit much (maybe more than I need to start?). I've found a Menghini at a local accordion store that looks appealing, and would be at the top of my budget. I don't find much info online about the Menghini. I'm wondering if it would be a better quality than the Panther. I don't know what year it is, but the accordion store has been around forever, and completely refurbishes and certifies their used accordions. Here is the link:  http://www.petosa.com/product/menghini-diatonic/

I would sooooo appreciate any input (re brands, key, etc.) I can't wait to get started!
Thanks!! KRIS

Grape Ape

Re: Newbie looking to buy. Feedback please!! Menghini CG vs Panther
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:57:46 PM »

Nothing wrong with starting on three rows- but as other will say your first box is not likely to be your last.  I do not know the second brand, but I did own a Panther and in my opinion it is complete junk.  Things started breaking within less than a year, and I am for the most part a gentle player.  The advert for the second box has a couple of things I thought looked odd, but as I said, I do not know the brand.  My advice would be to grab a second hand pokerwork and start from there.  They come up often on this site, ebay, and especially german ebay.  They retain their value so chances are good you can resell it for what you pay for it.  Or you may find as did someone I know, that even after acquiring a mass of 14 or so boxes you still love the pokerwork for simplicity, durability, and low worries price should it be lost stolen or damaged.
For 3 rows, I would again defer you to ebay or this site, with again German ebay being some of the best deals- but be careful  and ask lots of questions to cover yourself should the item not be as described.  I recently got a 3row gcf corona with registers for about the cost of a new panther.  The difference in quality doesn’t even allow for a fair comparison.

Sebastian

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:18:22 PM »

I'm wondering if it would be a better quality than the Panther.
Probably. The Menghini has one button per row more than usual (12 + 11 instead of 11 + 10). Otherwise I don't know what Grape Ape did hint at.

Your local accordion store does rentals. Why not ask them whether you could rent the Menghini for a month?

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2018, 09:23:06 PM »

I don't know how good but here is some info on this site,
http://www.accordionlinks.com/manufacturer.html

"Menghini Srl from Castelfidardo, Italy, was founded in 1995; it was spun off from Farfisa. They made Paolo Soprani and Scandalli accordions. In 2003 it merged with SEM to form Suoni. A 2005 interview with Mirco Patarini, director of Menghini "

If they made these models they can't be to bad, I think?
Good to try it first though.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

melodeon

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 12:28:42 AM »

Kris..

Petosa is/was a decent shop  it was when I was up there many moons ago)

The Menghini , if made in Castelfidardo, no doubt would be of a higher quality than the Panther.

Ask them what reeds are in it.

Italian made and whether machine,  dural, tipo a mano etc.

I would get the two row as it is a GC, the three row is a C/F with a G outer row..
Lots of great learning material for the G/C ....
And I believe that you could resell the Menghini easily at minimal loss where as the PANTHER would take a bigger hit.

Go to THE BUTTON BOX  online and check out the learning material for G/C.

Some of my favorite players are G/C... check the recordings/videos section of Mel Net.. ToraderM being one of the best. (youtube)

Also in the US there is Santiago Jimenez a knock out 2 row G/C player.. Flaco's brother. Check out youtube.

Best of luck.

PS   $700 seems a good price for a decent Italian made two reed two row.   
Have someone not associated with the store check it out for you..
I think there are some melnetters up your way.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2018, 02:01:17 AM »

What kind of music do you want to play, Kris? That will help determine what sort of box is best suited.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Winston Smith

• AKA Edward Jennings
    • "Our Luxor B&B" Luxor life, slice by slice.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2018, 05:41:59 AM »

Just a quickie here...if it's Italian, then why does it have "MYHRBRAATEN OSLO" on the front of the box?
At last, broken and resigned to accept conformity.
Oh, how I LOVE Big Brother!

triskel

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 06:47:19 AM »

...if it's Italian, then why does it have "MYHRBRAATEN OSLO" on the front of the box?

Because they sold it originally I expect.

It's Italian, and made by the same firm as Scandalli and Paolo Soprani, but I've never seen one actually badged Menghini before so can't comment with any knowledge of what it'd be like.

The only downside I can see is that it looks unusually large for a 2-voice box.

melodeon

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 01:34:05 PM »

"The only downside I can see is that it looks unusually large for a 2-voice box."

Not as big as a three row,     And   Manly  : )
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 01:35:56 PM by melodeon »

pgroff

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 02:02:07 PM »

...if it's Italian, then why does it have "MYHRBRAATEN OSLO" on the front of the box?

Because they sold it originally I expect.

It's Italian, and made by the same firm as Scandalli and Paolo Soprani, but I've never seen one actually badged Menghini before so can't comment with any knowledge of what it'd be like.

The only downside I can see is that it looks unusually large for a 2-voice box.

I saw that box listed on Reverb.com some time ago and my first reaction was "looks like a 3 voice box." Not necessarily, but boxes this size often have 3 reedblocks (so, 3 sets of reeds for a 2 row box). Petosa should know, but may not have cracked it open if it came to them playing and sounding fine. Couldn't hurt to ask for inside photos.

PG

Kris Miskim

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 04:02:17 PM »

Wow! What an amazing bunch of folks on this forum! Thank you so much for your speedy feedback and input! I appreciate it!!

I plan to go up to Seattle this weekend and check out the Menghini, along with anything else they may have. Thanks for the input on some questions I should ask.

I've also been looking at the Corona ll (not Classic ... Way beyond my budget). I fiddled with the Panther and the Corona at our local music store... QUITE a difference in tone! Will be fun to try the Menghini. It's sounding like a two row could be fine for a beginner like me ... plenty of room to learn on that!

We'll see how it goes. Thanks again... Love the input!!

John MacKenzie (Cugiok)

• Fettling... Learning to reed and right.
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 04:25:46 PM »

Did you see this previous post? The guy is in Seattle. I love the look of this box.

Sir John

http://forum.melodeon.net/index.php/topic,21862.0.html
There is no beginning to my talent :)

: Hohner Club Modell 1. Bb/Eb, de-clubbed : Early Hohner Pressed Wood A/D : 1930's Varnished wood G/C:  Hohner Erika C/F: Bandoneon tuned D/G Pressed wood: Koch F/Bb; G/C Pre Corso

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2018, 07:01:52 PM »

Wow! What an amazing bunch of folks on this forum! Thank you so much for your speedy feedback and input! I appreciate it!!

...Will be fun to try the Menghini. It's sounding like a two row could be fine for a beginner like me ... plenty of room to learn on that!

Don't dismiss two rows as beginner's instruments. They are far more than that.
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

melodeon

« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:21:47 PM by melodeon »

melodeon

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 09:27:39 PM »

Per the CORONA II...
German made only, and pre 1980...

The best ones are earlier with a pearloid faced wooden keyboard. Not black plastic.. though some of the earlier black plastic keyboard models were ok.

Personally, I'd go with a 2 row G/C.

Italian 2 row vs a German/Hohner Corona...   

Given condition and playability ok.. The G/C 2 row.

IIRC  The GCF has only one note not found on the G/C ..

I think Paul will attest to this..
There are many tunes that can be played on a 2 row box 
Just as there are many tunes that can be played on a 20 button Anglo Concertina

Kris Miskim

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 07:59:43 PM »

Thanks again! Great feedback, especially about all that a two row has to offer. I feel pretty excited about the Menghini. Can't wait to go look this Saturday. Hopefully they will still have it.

I've been tinkering around on my great-grandfathers old eichhorn 2-row. It is so far out of tune and patched up that it'll never play a full tune, but it's behen a great learning experience for me, and really prompted my melodeon interest. I've replaced valves and re-gusseted and taped the bellows. It's just fun (and educational) to tinker! :) It actually has a few lovely notes and chords that it didn't have before I started :)

hickory-wind

• Lives in NY USA near the Erie Canal
    • Bellingers' Button Boxes
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 08:31:34 PM »

Kris-
If you want more options I have a website with 25+ two row instruments that can be tuned to your preference. I am a restorer/tuner in western NY State. Visit this linkhttp://bellingersbuttonboxes.com/product/two-row-accordions-restored-tuned-as-you-like/ Any picture not labeled as SOLD should be available. To keep costs down for the buyer, I just add or restore the features important to him/her.

I also have a YouTube channel where I have demonstrated many button accordions in 1, 2, & 3 row models in many different keys so you can get an idea of how "wet" tuning compares to "dry" tuning; how GC compares to BbEb to DG, etc. Link here: http://www.youtube.com/c/ScottBellinger

I've not had my hands on a Menghini yet and I would like to know your opinion of it after you visit Petosa. Best of luck in your search.

Scott Bellinger

too many boxes...please buy one, or two, or

triskel

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 01:21:30 AM »

I've been tinkering around on my great-grandfathers old eichhorn 2-row.

Wow, there's something very, very special that you have in common with melodeon then. :o 

He too has his great-grandfather's old 2.4-row, though he didn't know it was Swiss, or an Eichorn, until I identified it as such for him.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 02:06:45 AM »

I've been tinkering around on my great-grandfathers old eichhorn 2-row. It is so far out of tune and patched up that it'll never play a full tune,
Nice ! It may not be " it'll never play a full tune" if you get it fix up (:) if you can play something on it it may be worth fixing for the sentimental value. I thought I'd never be able to get My grandfathers box playing proper but with a bit of effort and some very helpful folks here it got done. Also took a little cash ( cost of the new Bellows mostly) to be honest but it was well worth it, the box plays great now.
It is a hohner so a good breed, I'm not sure about your G-G daddy's.
For me I wouldn't sell it so I'm not worried about what I spent on it , bottom line is I couldn't buy one in good nick for what I spent to fix it. I didn't fix it right away it took some MADness to set in , so maybe some day.
Good luck finding a box!!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal