Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie looking to buy. Feedback please!! Menghini CG vs Panther  (Read 5735 times)

triskel

Re: Newbie looking to buy. Feedback please!! Menghini CG vs Panther
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 03:41:29 AM »

I've been tinkering around on my great-grandfathers old eichhorn 2-row. It is so far out of tune and patched up that it'll never play a full tune,

My grandfathers box ... is a hohner so a good breed, I'm not sure about your G-G daddy's.

It's a Schwyzerorgel, handmade in Schwyz, Switzerland, since 1886, and they're still making them there (unlike Hohner, in Trossingen :().

Quote from: Werner Greuter, present owner of Eichhorn Schwyzerörgelfabrik and Musikhaus
We make abut 30-50 accordions per year,” he tells me, through a translator. “That much adequately meets the demand, but most people bring in their old ones to get fixed. We’re always working on old ones.”

“Like wine, they improve with age.” Christian explains. “The wood hardens. The sound gets better the more you play it. No two are the same, just like no two pianos are the same. Each will have variations, some are softer, some have a more aggressive sound"

The Eichhorn Schwyzerorgelfabrik and Musikhaus

Der perfekte Klang braucht feine Hände

Eichhorn Schwyz facebook page

Sebastian

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 03:59:01 AM »

The latest post on the Facebook page (from yesterday) is a newspaper article saying: "The company Eichhorn Schwyzerörgeli doesn’t exist any longer," and: "Production of Schwyzerörgelis has ceased."

triskel

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2018, 04:42:11 AM »

The latest post on the Facebook page (from yesterday) is a newspaper article saying: "The company Eichhorn Schwyzerörgeli doesn’t exist any longer," and: "Production of Schwyzerörgelis has ceased."

That's a shame! :( (No wonder I couldn't access their website... :-\)

Thoroughly bad timing though!  ::)

melodeon

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2018, 01:57:14 PM »

"Wow, there's something very, very special that you have in common with melodeon then. :o 

He too has his great-grandfather's old 2.4-row, though he didn't know it was Swiss, or an Eichorn, until I identified it as such for him."

It's twoo, it's twoo. ( Elmer Fudd imitation) and thank you for the box forensics.

Mine is a 2 1/2 row... 21 plus 4 with 6 bass buttons.

This was my GGFs and according to my mother, he played it often.  He was know to play for Austrian/Bohemian gatherings, weddings, parties etc. 
If I had the ability/skill/knowledge/expertise to post a photo I would.

If you e mail me.. I could send a photo.

It is in the keys of D/G.
The box plays well and has a great sound.
This accordeon is approaching 100 years old.
There are some very cool, colloquial/vernacular/skilled amateur  repairs to include brass plates, and folded bits  playing cards inside the bellows.

I have often thought of making a modern replica.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 07:06:44 PM by melodeon »

triskel

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2018, 05:22:06 PM »

If I had the ability/skill/knowledge/expertise to post a photo I would.

If you e mail me.. I could send a photo.

I'll see if I can post some of the ones you sent me last year.

melodeon

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2018, 07:07:31 PM »

I have the box in front of me..

Photos available per request.. to include the case my GGF made for the box.

melodeon

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2018, 09:23:08 PM »

Thanks for posting the photos.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2018, 11:25:06 PM »

Cool looking box! Nice to have something from your GGF to cherish.
If you feel like posting the case He made I'd be interested in seeing it, I suspect no butt joints ;)
I like how folks back "when" made stuff instead of buying it if they could, mostly because they had to, but I still admire that they did.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2018, 01:15:23 AM »

... Nice to have something from your GGF to cherish.
If you feel like posting the case He made I'd be interested in seeing it ...

I'll gladly post the image here if Jeff emails me with it.

(It's maybe just as well I didn't get to inherit my GGF instrument, which was a 2-manual American organ with pedal board... :o He died a few years before I was born, and my father found he couldn't even give it away, so one wet weekend he dismantled it, salvaging what he could of the timber. Well, it was taking-up half the living room!)

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2018, 01:49:46 AM »

... Nice to have something from your GGF to cherish.
If you feel like posting the case He made I'd be interested in seeing it ...

I'll gladly post the image here if Jeff emails me with it.

(It's maybe just as well I didn't get to inherit my GGF instrument, which was a 2-manual American organ with pedal board... :o He died a few years before I was born, and my father found he couldn't even give it away, so one wet weekend he dismantled it, salvaging what he could of the timber. Well, it was taking-up half the living room!)
Well if it was taking up space and no one was using it, I don't blame Him. Did he make something with the wood?
What does the  "2 -manual" mean?
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

triskel

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2018, 03:15:24 AM »

Him. Did he make something with the wood?

Knowing my father, I'm quite sure he did, though the only thing I know about him doing with it was repairing a door. But he used to make all sorts of things in the '40s, including wooden toys (and still had a book about that) because they were otherwise unobtainable.

The only piece of his carpentry I have is an Art Deco oak sofa table, made out of an oak board that he managed to get off a village coffin maker when it was rationed and impossible to get.

What does the  "2 -manual" mean?

"2 -manual" = 2 keyboards, which would have different sounds on them, plus it had a (bass) pedal board, something like this Mason & Hamlin I guess:

And he'd have needed a full-width organ bench to sit on and play it, taking up even more space - not very handy for taking to sessions... :-\

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2018, 03:49:10 PM »

"And he'd have needed a full-width organ bench to sit on and play it"

you could use that as a coffee table ;)

"2 -manual" = 2 keyboards"    I got it now.

sorry for thread drift

Kimric Smythe

• Smythe's Accordion Center
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2018, 06:07:09 PM »

Petosa is a top notch shop that has been in business since the early 1930's I believe and is run by the same family. I get my Giulietti instruments from them. They should be able to tell you anything you would care to know about the box.

I have a couple of Hohner 3 rows that I have restored ,both still have the bass blocks and reeds. I rebuilt them a few months ago.
One is a Corona that is most likely 70's-80's vintage. The other is a 1940's model that did not appear to have been played much at all. I had to rewax and revalve it but it needed almost no tuning. http://www.smythesaccordioncenter.com/button-accordions.html
Smythe's Accordion Center
Pinole, California
Sales and repairs since 1997

Kris Miskim

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2018, 09:56:09 PM »

Hi all. Thanks again for your great input. I purchased the Menghini from Petosa on Saturday and am VERY excited. It is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L! I'm working on scales and just having fun! Can't wait to pick it up and play after work today. So... thank youall, and I know this forum will be a treasure of great info as I practice and learn.

Another note: The photos of the Eichhorn are beautiful. That is in AMAZING condition. The one I have from my GGF is pretty worn... even held together with masking tape in a few places! But, it's still a treasure, and definitely sparked my interest in playing!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal