Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Little things that made a big difference in your playing  (Read 6555 times)

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Little things that made a big difference in your playing
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2018, 01:44:50 PM »

Yes - you can use the Em chord, but it doesn't sound good in all situations.

When playing in the key of G, yer basic three-chord trick - the I, IV, V chords - are G, C and D. Because the C chord is available on both push and pull, it makes playing the IV chord easy.

However, when playing in the key of D, the I, IV, V chords are D, G and A. The chord of G is only available on the push, so you need to adjust your fingering a little bit to incorporate the G chord. This will usually mean going across to the G-row to find the push notes - G and B - which will be needed.

Yes - it might seem a bit of an unnecessary faff at first, but you soon get used to it and you will find that it has opened up more harmonic possibilities for your playing.

The other related G-row fudge when playing in the key of D is if there is the note A required to go with a pull chord of A major. On the D-row A is a push note so you need to go across the the G-row for the pull A. Otherwise you will end up playing a push A melody note with a push chord of D which tends to sound naff.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

Thrupenny Bit

• happily squeezing away in Devon
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2018, 02:18:33 PM »

Steve's reminded me - my ability to 'find' that A pull on the G row with ease has improved my playing immensely
I think possibly that after the G and D start notes, that seems to be nearly as important.
Q
Thrupenny Bit

I think I'm starting to get most of the notes in roughly the right order...... sometimes!

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »

Steve's reminded me - my ability to 'find' that A pull on the G row with ease has improved my playing immensely
I think possibly that after the G and D start notes, that seems to be nearly as important.
Q

I would also suggest that the ability to find the pull Gs on the D row is important when playing in G to support the use of the C chord.

Tone Dumb Greg

• Dartmoor Border Morris
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2018, 03:08:25 PM »

Q

I would also suggest that the ability to find the pull Gs on the D row is important when playing in G to support the use of the C chord.

On reflection, a familiarity with all the available across the row triads in the four chord trick is pretty useful when playing in the home keys. In one sharp keys: Pull C, Am, pull D (if you have the root notes). In two sharp keys:  A, Bm, F#m and pull G come to mind.  Any more?
(Other tunings are available)

Edit: and then there are the sevenths and the nineths and the rest of them. But I'll stop here  (:)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:12:20 PM by Tone Dumb Greg »
Greg Smith
DG/GC Pokerwork, DG 2.4 Saltarelle, pre-war CF Hohner, Hohner 1040 Vienna style, old  BbEb Hohner that needs a lot of work.

ACCORDION, n. An instrument in harmony with the sentiments of an assassin. Ambrose Bierce

IanD

• Too many melodeons...
« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2018, 03:30:02 PM »

To hear how uneven the beats in a waltz can be, try this recording of the Blue Danube about 2 minutes in:

https://youtu.be/VTqlLKBKFhg

The second beat is obviously pulled forward and the third beat extended. I noticed this when listening to waltzes being played for dancing in Vienna...
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 10:18:37 PM by IanD »
Oakwood Model 4 D/G, Castagnari Dony D/G/#, Castagnari Tommy G/C, Baffetti Binci D/G, Hohner Preciosa D/G, Melos Bb/Eb, Lightwave SL5 and Kala California fretless basses

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2018, 03:46:10 PM »

To hear how uneven the beats in a waltz can be, try this recording of the Blue Danube about 2 minutes in:

The second beat is obviously pulled forward and the third beat extended. I noticed this when listening to waltzed being played for dancing in Vienna...
I especially notice the way the music "takes a breath" at 2:14 as it goes into the last line of the verse.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2018, 05:41:59 PM »

The second beat is obviously pulled forward and the third beat extended. I noticed this when listening to waltzed being played for dancing in Vienna...
Lovely stuff. The effect is generally known as the 'Viennese Lilt'. The Vienna Philharmonic players are masters at it. HvK the conductor doesn't really direct them, he just leaves them to it; the players coordinate the lilt between themselves.
Here's another example starting at 3:18:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHF5LP53LZY
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

tiny

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2018, 06:41:52 PM »

Both wonderful thanks for sharing . I have heard them before but not in this highlighted way. Delightful.
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Jesse Smith

• Buffalo, NY, USA
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2018, 07:10:28 PM »

This comes right back to the idea of tapping your foot just once per bar rather than on all three beats in a waltz. The downbeats are all a steady rhythm, but the 2 and 3 are flexible to allow for this lilt. If you were playing to a metronome you would want just one click per bar on the 1.
Hohner Pokerwork D/G (x2!), Hohner one row four stops in D and C, Hohner Presswood C/F.

Anahata

• This mind intentionally left blank
  • Oakwood D/G, C/F Club, 1-rows in C,D,G
    • Treewind Music
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2018, 07:21:29 PM »

Only if you don't have a C bass/chord on push.
(which might be the case if you have a box in D/G Club tuning)
I'm a melodeon player. What's your excuse?
Music recording and web hosting: www.treewind.co.uk
Mary Humphreys and Anahata: www.maryanahata.co.uk
Ceilidh band: www.barleycoteband.co.uk

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2018, 07:40:47 PM »

Only if you don't have a C bass/chord on push.
(which might be the case if you have a box in D/G Club tuning)

I was thinking more of when using the c chord as a drone it is nice not to have the bellows change.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal