Melodeon.net Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to the new melodeon.net forum

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intermittent sticking button  (Read 2333 times)

tiny

Intermittent sticking button
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:50:52 PM »

Hello,
I'm sure this has been covered before but having had a quick search unable to find it.

I have an intermittent sticking button on my C/F Saltarelle, the third button F . I am supposed to be recording for school on Monday (weather permitting) For some reason the button is sticking more and more, I have the grill off and can't see anything wrong. Any ides gratefully received. Thanks.
Lizzy
lizzy in Hoppicking Herefordshire

Castagnari Tommy, Hohner one row,Dino Baffetti Binci, Giordy.

Steve_freereeder

• Content Manager
  • MAD is inevitable. Keep Calm and Carry On
    • Lizzie Dripping
Re: Intermittent sticking button
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 02:59:43 PM »

Hello,
I'm sure this has been covered before but having had a quick search unable to find it.

I have an intermittent sticking button on my C/F Saltarelle, the third button F . I am supposed to be recording for school on Monday (weather permitting) For some reason the button is sticking more and more, I have the grill off and can't see anything wrong. Any ides gratefully received. Thanks.
Lizzy
Has it just suddenly started to stick? It's just possible that it may be due to the extreme cold and dry weather conditions we've been having - 'beast from the east', and all that.

You don't say what model Saltarelle you have. Does it have wood or metal lever arms? Wood levers are more prone to sticking in these weather conditions.
Steve
Sheffield, UK.
www.lizziedripping.org.uk

tiny

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 03:16:49 PM »

Does it have wood or metal lever arms?

It has wood from the button, then at the end it has a metal lever before a wooden block.

It has stuck occasionally in the past but not like this, now its not really playable. It is kept in a room with a dry atmosphere and warm.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »

You could try putting it in its case with one of those moisture absorbing packs, it helped my box when it was having sticky keys on humid summer days. This won't solve the underlying problem but it might help you get it playing for Monday.
It could also be something else causing the problem? warping etc.
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »

I've had more than one Boube in the workshop for this problem and in the end the only reliable cure was to strip the keyboard down and scrupulously clean the parts and then reassemble. Not a nice or easy job.

boxcall

• You got to love it!!!
  • Accordion to who?
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 03:55:08 PM »

Hardest part is getting the bleeping axle /rod out!!
Hohner 1040 C, Beltuna one row four stop D, O'Byrne Dewitt/ Baldoni bros. D/C#, Paolo soprani "pepperpot" one row D

Lester

• MADman
  • Mods and volunteers
  • Hohners'R'me
    • Lester's Melodeon Emporium and Tune-a-Rama
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 04:57:46 PM »

Hardest part is getting the bleeping axle /rod out!!
Followed very briskly by getting it back in.

But what I have discovered is once I have got the rod out a small amount if I attach my battery drill to the rod and spin it up slowly and pull, the rod then comes out much easier than just trying to pull it out. This also works for reinserting it.

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 05:12:56 PM »

You could try putting it in its case with one of those moisture absorbing packs, it helped my box when it was having sticky keys on humid summer days. This won't solve the underlying problem but it might help you get it playing for Monday.
It could also be something else causing the problem? warping etc.

In the conditions we have here that is probably viably the opposite of what is needed. If it is weather related then it is probably suffering because of the low humidity that happens in heated houses in very cold weather.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

tiny

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 05:38:27 PM »

Golly!

I don't think it is weather related, but it does need some attention, and it seems its a difficult job.

Anyone keen to give it a go!!!!!!

Lizzy

Grape Ape

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 05:47:50 PM »

The spinning with a drill bit that Lester mentions once cured some sticking buttons on one of my boxes in and of itself with nothing further required....

Theo

• Administrator
  • Hohner Club Too
    • The Box Place
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 05:49:32 PM »

It’s not a difficult job to do if you are familiar with the process. It just requires the right tools and a methodical approach.  I can certainly do it, but I’m sure Lester would do a good job too.
Theo Gibb - Gateshead UK

Proprietor of The Box Place for melodeon and concertina sales and service.
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook for stock updates.

mselic

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2018, 06:17:44 PM »

I've had the same problem before with wooden keyboard components and it most definitely is related to environmental conditions, namely humidity levels in the room that the box is stored in. In my case, it was LOW humidity levels, caused by dry indoor heat, that caused the sticking key. It was corrected by removing the axle road and cleaning it before reinserting. I would highly recommend getting a hygrometer in the room that your box is stored in to measure your humidity levels. Below 30% is less than ideal for wooden instruments. I know some people also have issues with humidity levels that are too high that cause the same problem.
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

tiny

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2018, 06:24:21 PM »

I've had the same problem before with wooden keyboard components and it most definitely is related to environmental conditions, namely humidity levels in the room that the box is stored in. In my case, it was LOW humidity levels, caused by dry indoor heat, that caused the sticking key. It was corrected by removing the axle road and cleaning it before reinserting. I would highly recommend getting a hygrometer in the room that your box is stored in to measure your humidity levels. Below 30% is less than ideal for wooden instruments. I know some people also have issues with humidity levels that are too high that cause the same problem.

I have a piano, two other melodeons, and two violins in the same room and they are all fine. So I think the room temperature is probably not the problem.

So it needs to be looked at. Theo thanks for offering I shall pm you.
Lizzy

mselic

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2018, 09:14:21 PM »

Fair enough, but I just want to add that in my case I had two other accordions, two guitars, a banjo and a mandolin in the same room, and only the one accordion was affected by the low humidity. I have a vintage box that gets affected the same way every year during the dry winter months, only to right itself once warmer (wetter) weather returns. Also, it's not the temperature, but the humidity that I was referring to. Best of luck!
C#/D Serenellini 233, Manfrini, Saltarelle Irish Bouebe, and a few HA114s

tiny

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2018, 11:17:09 PM »

Fair enough, but I just want to add that in my case I had two other accordions, two guitars, a banjo and a mandolin in the same room, and only the one accordion was affected by the low humidity. I have a vintage box that gets affected the same way every year during the dry winter months, only to right itself once warmer (wetter) weather returns. Also, it's not the temperature, but the humidity that I was referring to.

Well aren't instruments funny things, it is useful to know these things as I don't have a lot of experience in these matters, thanks for sharing.

Rob2Hook

• Castagnaris, Hohners & Baffetti
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 06:50:10 PM »

The two open keyboards I have taken apart were both made of unfinished (unvarnished) wood.  As a consequence, they will expand and contract with changes in humidity.  One gave me no trouble at all, but the other would occasionally have a lever stick down in very humid weather (hot or cold).  In the end I realised that their length was increasing and jamming them in the keyboard - so I rasped a little wood off the ends.  I also used the old trick for sticking drawers and rubbed them over with a candle.  No further problems.

Rob.

baz parkes

• All Blacked Up
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »

I also used the old trick for sticking drawers and rubbed them over with a candle.  No further problems.

Rob.

I trust it was one that cost half a farthing?

:|glug
On the edge of Cheshire's Golden Triangle, apparently...

tiny

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 04:05:08 PM »

My Saltarelle plays beautifully now many thanks to Theo.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Melodeon.net - (c) Theo Gibb; Clive Williams 2010. The access and use of this website and forum featuring these terms and conditions constitutes your acceptance of these terms and conditions.
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal